News: Naps, Mitt Romney, Bigfoot, Vodka Soda, Eagle Scouts

RoadAnd now, carbonated vodka soda.

RoadIndianapolis gay bar may have been targeted in drive-by shooting.

EtacorviRoadNASA: Storm of comets circles nearby star.

RoadLindsay Lohan wants to remake Thelma & Louise.

RoadLast week I published a straight Eagle Scout's letter to the Boy Scouts of America turning in his badge. Now, many others are doing so as well.

RoadNOM's latest star, Dawn Stefanowicz, shares horror stories of living with a gay parent. Good As You: "Dawn is taking one story of growing up in a gay-headed household thirty, forty years ago and using it as some sort of cautionary tale against every gay-headed household worldwide."

RoadPosh Spice reportedly blocking efforts at a Spice Girls reunion for the London Olympics Closing Ceremonies.

RoadDaytime naps linked to dementia. "French researchers who looked at results from 5,000 over 65s found the fifth who regularly took long naps scored lower in mental ability tests. Dr Claudine Berr, from the Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médical (Inserm), told the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference in Vancouver: “These results suggest that excessive daytime sleepiness may be an early predictor of cognitive decline.'"

RoadPen pal letter from 21-year-old Morrissey revealed. "I’m unhappy, hope you’re unhappy too."

RoadEmile Hirsch to play Navy Seal in Lone Survivor?

BigfootRoadEver wanted to own a massive model of 'Bigfoot'? Now's your chance.

RoadMitt Romney Olympic archive still off-limits: "The archivists involved in preparing the documents for public review told ABC News that financial documents, contracts, appointment calendars, emails and correspondence are likely not included in the 1,100 boxes of Olympic records, and will not be part of the collection that will ultimately be made public."

RoadRevealed: The former Bain employees raising millions for Romney.

RoadThe dog who will play Sandy in the upcoming revival of Annie on Broadway is a female terrier mix rescued from an animal shelter in Houston: "Save her. I don't care what it costs."

RoadMale model fix: Daniel Bederov.

FlagRoadMassive rainbow flag now flies over San Diego's Hillcrest neighborhood.

RoadGay Scotsman's body found in Brighton, UK: "In the 1970s he decided to move to London where he felt it would be easier to live as an openly gay man. He spent many happy years in Croydon living with his partner Henry until he sadly died in 2001."

RoadMadonna's brother Christopher Ciccone designing line of shoes: "According to a release July 19, Ciccone will be hosting bespoke installations in London, Paris, Prague, Toronto, New York, Miami and Los Angeles to launch the brand."

RoadSalon: The tightrope of gay PDA. "I can’t really remember the exact circumstances of when I first held a man’s hand in public. The emotions that preceded it have all faded, along with the person, in the ensuing years. What I do remember, throughout the five or so minutes that I grasped that boy’s moist palm, is anxiously searching every face around us, every person that passed us by, checking for any sign of potential trouble or disapproval. The simple act itself — of taking my date’s hand — seemed less a simple sign of affection than an open dare to voyeurs, an exercise in what my grandmother would have called 'making a spectacle of yourself.'"

Comments

1. Wasn't part of NOM's plan (from their leaked memos) to spend money on getting the children of same-sex couples to speak out against their upbringing? How much is precious Dawn receiving?

Posted by: kpo5 | Jul 23, 2012 4:06:38 PM

2. Dawn seems like a poor choice for NOM's fearmongering. As far as I can tell from her website, she was born to a heterosexual couple who divorced (I think) and her father later came out and lived a lively gay lifestyle. First off, for a court to award custody to this partying father (if true) means the mother had even bigger problems. But also her story has nothing to do with same sex marriage. Maybe if her father had been able to marry he would have been more stable and a better parent. Her real concern seems to be gay parenting rather than marriage, as she thinks that gays will soon be pushing for adoption rights once we're allowed to marry. So she obviously has no idea that gays have or adopt children all the time, with or without gay marriage laws being passed. Since that's the case, she needs to rethink whether allowing gays to enter into stable, legally sanctioned relationships will be better or worse for these children. I don't see how any of this helps NOM's anti marriage pursuit.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 23, 2012 4:33:56 PM

3. And Dawn's story is just ONE story. For that one debauched household, there could be thousands of stable households. And believe me when I say that debauchery is not limited to one particular sexual preference. Some of the stories that come out of straight households! Wow!

Posted by: Joe | Jul 23, 2012 4:55:43 PM

4. I despise Victoria Beckham. I think she's ugly, she can't dance, she can't sing and she's as dumb as a post but I applaud her for blocking yet ANOTHER Spice Girls reunion for the London Olympics.

Surely the UK has MUCH MUCH MUCH better talent to perform at the opening and closing events ? Spice Girls are AWFUL. There are so many incredible, talented people who could entertain so much better.

It's depressing that the UK Olympic team don't have the intelligence to seek out real talent for the show.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 23, 2012 5:10:10 PM

5. Does anyone know if the huge, rainbow flag now flying over San Diego is a permanent fixture or just for the duration of the Pride event ?

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 23, 2012 5:12:21 PM

6. Great Salon article on gay PDA.

And NOM's fake question, what do we know about the average kid w gay parents? Already answered: the kids are alright.

Posted by: David R. | Jul 23, 2012 6:07:59 PM

7. hey Icebloo it is a permanent flag. And love the location, at the corner of University and Normal

Posted by: Ken | Jul 23, 2012 6:19:59 PM

8. Yay! I love the new flag in SD. It makes me smile every time I drive by it!

Posted by: andypharmer | Jul 23, 2012 6:34:54 PM

9. My thoughts are with the family of the old scots guy, a sad end to a brave journey that many of a certain age made, to be themselves, true & with or without respect to the law - peace be & let you meet Henry again

Posted by: Gordon | Jul 23, 2012 7:35:31 PM

10. Carbonated vodka soda??? Y'all are some lazy-ass motherf**ers.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Jul 23, 2012 8:19:53 PM

11. Ha Ha. It's not just that Lindsay Lohan wants to "re-make" Thelma and Louise, it's her delusion that she is serious enough an actress that she can hitch her wagon to the latest "It Girl", who, by the way, was nominated for "Best Actress" already at The Oscars at age 20.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jul 23, 2012 8:37:59 PM

12. I met my Significant Other at the first National Minority AIDS Conference--he was still in the closet--in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

I gave him a plane ticket to join me for a weekend in SF. While we were in the Castro, he refused to hold my hand. He had major hang ups in the PDA department due to his childhood in rural Wisconsin. Fast forward a couple of years--I was part of a national American Psychological Association project on HIV and was conducting training in Little Rock, Arkansas. He flew in to join me. While we were walking, he grabbed my hand. I said, "Wait--you wouldn't hold my hand in the Castro, but you want to do it on Main Street, Little Rock, Arkansas?"

He answered, "Anyone can hold your hand in the Castro--but to do it in Little Rock really means something."

That was twenty years ago. I'm lucky he's in my life.

Posted by: Ty Nolan | Jul 24, 2012 5:31:23 AM