Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | Missouri | News

Doug Pitt Addresses Jane Pitt's Anti-Gay Letter On 'Today:' VIDEO

DougPitt

Doug Pitt, brother to actor Brad, showed up on The Today Show this morning to discuss his new Virgin Mobile Australia ad — you know, the one in which he plays himself, "the second most famous Pitt" — but the conversation soon turned to another Pitt, their newly infamous mother, Jane, and the anti-gay letter she published in the Springfield News-Leader last week.

Asked about the letter and its opposition to marriage equality, something Brad Pitt supports, Doug Pitt handled himself like a pro, simply saying that parents and kids can agree to disagree and that their family endorses health discussion.

“Moms and dads and kids agree to disagree all over the world, so why would our family be any different?” he told Matt Lauer. "There can be healthy discussion when people disagree with you, and I think there should be. The bad thing is when it turns into venom and negativity and we don’t have that in our family. It’s open discussion, we can learn from each other … maybe you learn something."

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. But she IS spouting venom.

If that were my mom, whether I was gay or not, she would NOT be my mom. Period.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jul 9, 2012 2:05:21 PM

2. To my LGBT brothers and sisters: I'm a 74 year member of your community. At my age, not much is memorable, but this one thing is. Please remember my words: I share it with many LGBT community centers I visit.

I've lived trhough great triumphs and losses in the rich history of LGBT that I have experienced. One golden nugget I've walked away with during my years on this planet is that homophobic people will do their best to befriend gay folks as an attempt to rationalize their homophobia, make your more complacent as an activist pursuing your rights and be able to boldly claim they have gay friends.

I think the biggest danger to the LGBT community is not the most outspoken homophobe who keeps their distance from us, but the enemy who wants to befriend us. The homophobe who is against your equal rights will plant seeds in your head. They will make you think "well, she loves me, and he's nice to me, therefor I guess not all homophobes are bad people. The gay community just needs to accept not everyone agrees with us" and hence the conversion to us being complacent begins. They know what they are doing. They are attempting to make you less passionate for your rights by silncing you through their friendship with a homophobe. Don't fall for it.

My family did attempt that with me many moons ago. They were very much so against anything to do with gay, but in a cryptic way, would show me love. It made me brain washed into thinking that maybe it was gays who were the extremist and that anti gays just had differing opinions. That is until my partner of 30 years died and this family celebrated it as a sign from God for me to finally become straight. Be very careful of the friendship you have with a person who does not fully accept you for being gay. They always have a hidden agenda, and as we've all seen and witnessed, that agenda can brain wash an impressionable young gays mind into not being as actively involved and passionate about their shot at equality as we should all be.

Signed,
    Senior gay- young in spirit

Posted by: Martin J. | Jul 9, 2012 2:10:12 PM

3. The gay community has had a "healthy discussion, hearing the opinions of bigots"
    for centuries now. Centuries. During this time: our gay men and lesbian women, transgenders and bisexuals have been stoned to death in the middle east, burned alive a hundred years ago in the mid west, our gay kids today endure daily beat downs in schools, and our gay adults in big cities are dragged and shot for someone even suspecting they are gay. Our gay families are LOSING THEIR JOBS and being fired legally all because their employers found out they were gay.

Don't you DARE tell gay people to sit down and listen to a bowl of homophobia while exchanging opinions.
    We listened. For far too long. And we had our people killed for far too long due to sitting down and listening. We're past the Miss America dilomacy phase. We're here to challenge, educate, call out and speak LOUDLY against all forms of homophobia. If you resent that, you need to move out of the way.

Posted by: Real Talk | Jul 9, 2012 2:15:02 PM

4. The gay community has had a "healthy discussion, hearing the opinions of bigots"

Posted by: Real Talk | Jul 9, 2012 2:15:07 PM

5. Huh? religious people will castrate you for daring to speak against their religion. Religious families consistently throw out their own children out of their homes for questioning their religion. Why do gays have to constantly accept being told we're less worthy of rights? No. We really don't have to accept intolerance. It's called having a spine and not being an insecure, weak, push-over.

Posted by: J.J | Jul 9, 2012 2:17:34 PM

6. I can't believe the harsh judgments on here. In one comment, a Christian is belittling the way the community of LGBT is doing things. In another, there's more judgment to what? Outdo the judgments from the Christian? I know most people love to fight fire with fire, but the simple truth is: If you put fire on fire, the flame grows. If any side truly wants revenge, then be kind. Kindness can drive people crazy, but it usually ends with the people walking away angry and leaving you alone. We claim that we're all about love, but even we preach hatred to those who don't agree with our standards. Some people were not raised to understand that every single person is still a human being. However, if we wish to change this, we must not scream and shout. Do a silent protest. Sometimes, that is the best way to get your message across. Just be sure you have a sign or something. Imagine just staring at someone. They'll think you're psycho haha.

Posted by: Andrew | Jul 9, 2012 2:22:58 PM

7. Kim, you're post spoke volumes and actually reaffirmed everyone else's point about the dangers of befriending known bigots. I can honestly say I don't know a single racist, homophobe, misogynist who is racist, homophobic or anti women in front of me. Not a one. Why? because I surround myself with uplifting people who are positive forces. 7 billion people on this planet, I don't need to settle.

Posted by: Mark Johansen | Jul 9, 2012 2:29:30 PM

8. @ Kim

Time to pick new friends dear. Otherwise, your friends have and will always be a reflection of you, racist, homohpbes and anti semites and all.

Posted by: Art Smith | Jul 9, 2012 2:30:37 PM

9. Not one person suggested he disown his family for being known homophobes. Not one person said Brad should belittle his mother and never look at her again. What many posters are rightfully commenting on is this notion of excusing homophobes for their homophobia, and pretending it doesn't exist all while chalking their homophobia as differences. No- differences is deciding on which radio station to listen to while driving in the car with a friend. Differences is not a friend who tells me that I am not deserving of the same rights, happiness, joy or respect they are worthy of. That's not differences, that's them being ignorant. My friendship with that level of ignorance is my celebrating ignorance all while being a complete sellout to myself. No, thanks.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Jul 9, 2012 2:33:55 PM

10. Steve-ATL

Nailed it!!!

Posted by: DacatNap | Jul 9, 2012 2:34:45 PM

11. @ STEVE-ATL
    Right on the money. Could not have said it better myself.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Jul 9, 2012 2:35:33 PM

12. Why does the LGBT community constantly need to accept homophobia as differing opinions? BULL. We've endured enough crap to be where we are today (with self acceptance and proud of who we are as people) to then have a destructive force around us who demands we accept their lack of acceptance of us. No way. Me having struggled for years to finally get to a point where I am out, and happy with who I am means I don't need to surround myself with anti gay forces any longer! That was the whole dang point OF coming out for me. Not be around ignorance.

Posted by: Veronica | Jul 9, 2012 2:38:47 PM

13. Living in the same part of the country, I have to say Mrs. Pitt's views are pretty main stream and actually milder than most. This is the Bible Belt and especially around Springfield, in that part of Missouri, it's not an especially tolerant or enlightened part of the world.

It doesn't mean her views aren't wrong or discouraging, but this is not the worst you hear in this part of the country.

Posted by: Miche Rutledge | Jul 9, 2012 2:41:17 PM

14. Obviously I wouldn't expect a straight person to cut ties with their homophobic family- I would hope they would challenge them on their homophobia- but I do encourage gay people who feel stifled in maintaining a relationship with known homophobic family members to consider cutting that umbilical cord. Truly, you don't need them as much as you think you do. There's a world full of inspirational, loving, accepting, spirited people for will lift your spirits, and not make you think twice about that relationship with that homophobic relative you were iffy on. I had an intensely homophobic household and family. I one day realized that me being innately attracted to the same sex for love was no worse than my 3 brothers who constantly slept with different girls, broke their hearts and got a high-five from our father for it. If anything, me being gay and wanting to attain love with the same sex was worthy of more dignity than their hetero ways. But they didn't see it that way, so as an adult. I moved on from them and lived MY LIFE for me. Not in the shadow of their life.

Honestly, what good would it have served my life to consider a relationship with a family that could not love and appreciate me for me? or be happy for my happiness? I would have been sustaining a relationship for THEIR welfare not my own. And at a certain point, all gay people need to live their lives for themselves and allow people in that life who can accept and honor who they are and their happiness.

Today I'm happily in a loving relationship with the man I love. We have 2 kids, a dog, a beautiful home, and a life we relish every day. We also have the most supportive, encouraging L-O-V-I-N-G group of friends any human could ever ask for. Had I mainatined the destructive relationship with my homophobic family and accepted their homophobia just because we happened to share the same DNA, I would never ever be as happy and fulfilled as I am today, looking around me and seeing people that I truly love and who truly love me.

Posted by: PopcornSleeper | Jul 9, 2012 2:47:18 PM

15. I have an Aunt who is homophobic and thinks the president is the devil but I would not publicly speak ill of her. The way I see it is you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family. The rest of our family just thinks she a lonely bitter women and no one takes her seriously. Sometimes you have to accept you cannot argue with crazy. They cannot think rationally and it is a complete waste of time.

Posted by: Lane | Jul 9, 2012 2:55:06 PM

16. Gay people are constantly told "be the bigger person" accept homophobes and respect their rights. No! I won't sit idle as gay children die lonely, painful deaths because NO ONE confronts these homophobes. We're always told to never be reactionary, just accept prejudice for what it is. I won't do that anymore, and the day I refused being complacent and silent is the day I heard about the many gay kids across the country who took loaded guns and blew their own brains out because no one dared confront homophobes.

It's time to confront homophobia- LOUDLY

It's time to call out bigots- LOUDLY

It's time to take a stand for conviction- LOUDLY

It's time to stop letting others tell us how to be, while they kill our children.

The gay community of today is sick of sitting on the sidelines waiting for our turn to come to be respect. Today, we DEMAND change. Not beg for it.

Posted by: Carlos | Jul 9, 2012 2:55:35 PM

17. I always blamed every gay rights defeat on LGBT who knowingly have anti gay individuals in their lives. I know first hand the mixed message that sends to the homophobe. It not only encourages homophobia, it actually makes homophobes feel entitled to being homophobic. They cite their friend who is tolerant of their bigotry, so how dare every other LGBT not be accepting and tolerant of their bigotry. Yes, it's you apologist gays who just want another facebook friend (albeit, homophobic) that make accomplishing anything difficult. If you actually shunned the homophobe and told they why they are getting shunned, then they would understand how much this all means to us.

Posted by: Igooloo | Jul 9, 2012 2:58:31 PM

18. I don't know a single hispanic person who hangs out with someone who hates hispanic people. I don't have any black friends who go out and make friends with racists, and go out with drinks with them. The idea that any gay person would socialize, and consider a homophobe part of their circle of friends IS why homophobia is rampant today. No one will respect you if you can't respect yourself.

Posted by: Red Velvet | Jul 9, 2012 3:01:22 PM

19. I never got the idea behind *MUST MAINTAIN ALL CONTACT WITH ALL RELATIVES BECAUSE THEY ARE FAMILY*....uhm, no. Actually I don't. There's many crazy relatives I have who I don't talk to, or even see. My life is no less enriched for it. My life is joyous because they are not part of it. It's hilarious, pathetic, silly and lame to me that we all need to keep contact with all family because they are family. If any family makes it known they can't accept me or my partner- buh bye! You really truly won't be missed. Honestly.

Posted by: 2 cents worth | Jul 9, 2012 3:10:54 PM

20. GOProud! Perfect example of gay people who have no self respect...trying to fit in, hoping to be accepted by their family, begging for change and wishing that Conservative Republicans will see them as equal. GOProud is an embarrassment to the gay community! UGH!

Posted by: InAfterglow | Jul 9, 2012 3:12:50 PM

21. When I had a relationship with relatives who were homophobic, I always felt dirty or almost guilty when spending time with them. On the back burner, you're constantly thinking "I'm associating myself with someone who can't accept me for who I am. Who resents my happiness. Who contributes to homophobia" and whether admited or not, that's what every gay person who hangs out with a homophobic relative is thinking while hanging out with them. At a certain point, you have to ask yourself, is this relationship healthy? For me, that answer was no. Me being true to myself and my integrity was worth more than being able to go around and say "Look, I'm close to my cousin Becky. How cool is that?" Not very cool after all. I realized I was more proud of myself for taking a stand and realizing I actually had some great people in my life, including other relatives, who were totally accepting of me and instead of wasting a minute on people who didn't love me for me, I could be spending that time with true loving souls. One of the best things I've personally done for myself.

Posted by: CaliCouple | Jul 9, 2012 3:14:58 PM

22. Wow, a lot of these comments are insightful and amazing actually. As a 19 year old who does hang out with homophobic family all for the sake of hanging out with them, these very honest comments makes me resconsider it. I live on my own and don't depend on my family, and actually my mom and dad and sisters are accepting of me. It's extended family who are very homophobic. Like if something about a gay kid commiting suicide came on t.v, I actually had my uncle say "one less f-g" I now realize I really don't need people like that in my life at all. I'm an adult and my life is meant to be lived for me and my happiness, not constantly pleaseing everyone around me when they don't care about my feelings. This has really been eye opening reading some of these comments and I actually feel really encouraged right now, and looking forward to being open to meet new amazing people in my life who make me happy about life.

Posted by: JustADude | Jul 9, 2012 3:22:06 PM

23. Disagreeing on 'politics' is one thing but I made it known to family and friends that my life, my rights and my happiness is not some 'political issue' and whether we can disagree on legalizing marijuana or motorist speed limit is one thing, but disagreeing on my rights is not up for debate. That's my life. Can't accept that, then I can't accept you in my life. As another poster stated, with billions of people on this planet, and an unbelievable compassionate number in support of equality, I really don't benefit from having someone in my life who seeks to treat me as a second class citizen and doesn't care how that hurts me.

Posted by: Jackson | Jul 9, 2012 3:27:04 PM

24. A healthy discussion between the family members is fine. Broadcasting it publicly for the world to see/read crosses the line of decency and respect.

Posted by: MattS | Jul 9, 2012 3:35:18 PM

25. For those of you who claim you no longe r associate with homophobic relatives.I hope., You no longer work with or for homphobes.If you do,why? Don't. Support enemy

Posted by: Kim | Jul 9, 2012 5:05:36 PM