Comments

1. C says

I really don’t care for this. “Haha, I’m acting like I’m gay! Get it?”

I think Dave Franco’s stuff is low level and plays on reductive and offensive thinking about gays and gay relationships. Having sex with himself was also a disturbing characterization of gay experiences, and what’s “funny” about them.

I’m not against humor or poking fun at stereotypes, but I am kind of tired of the vanity of someone who is hot (or maybe just the brother of someone successful) acting gay and assuming that’s enough to get a laugh.

2. C says

I really don’t care for this. “Haha, I’m acting like I’m gay! Get it?”

3. Iwontgrowup says

This is just stupid. The people who find this funny are the same one who find Saturday Night Live humorous. Its not homophobic just pathetic.

4. Rick says

Hard to say what is going on here. Franco has made it clear that “sexual ambiguity” is one of his great interests….and I see him as potentially a seminal cultural figure (no pun intended) as men transition the male culture from one in which sex and intimacy with other men was strictly fobidden, being regarded as incompatible with masculinity, to one in which it is a legitimate option and one that is entirely compatible with masculinity….and even something to be encouraged.

This is going to be a fascinating transition and one that will take some weird turns…..and I see videos like this as one of those weird turns. It consists of men dealing with male-male sex head-on in a way that most of them never have before…..and as always, with such profound changes, humor helps to diffuse a lot of the tension.

I don’t see any other way to interpret it. Franco is anything but homophobic, so you have to assume that his intent is positive.

Man, I would love to meet that guy and spend a few days in deep conversation with him (and deep other stuff, if he were interested, of course….LOL)

Not surprised at these comments though–gay men seem totally clueless as to the transition that is taking place in the larger male culture, which is quite ironic, given that the shedding of homophobia by men in general has long been the Holy Grail of the gay movement…..

5. Rick says

Oops, sorry, that is James Franco, not Dave, who has expressed his interest in “sexual ambiguity”. But Dave seems to be equally interested.

Fascinating pair.

6. Rick says

“I think the “barf” is supposed to be analogous to a cumshot.”

Or it could be analogous to a “golden shower.” In any case, it was clearly intended to be erotic, at the same time that it confronted the idea of “repulsion” at the idea of male-male sex that so many “straight” men have (a consequence of a culture that teaches them that male-male sex is “nauseating”).

Brilliant double meaning (if we are not reading too much into it).

7. jaragon says

Ok- that was neither funny or sexy- now I wouldn’t mind having these two act out a scene from a Joe Gage movie ( now that would be stimulating…)

8. jaragon says

9. Yawn says

Maybe if the Franco bros focused on trying to find decent film scripts instead of messing around making stupid internet videos, they might actually get taken seriously.

10. James says

It’s like if you heard Dave got gang raped by a bunch of gay guys you would’t be surprised. I speak figuratively, but this constant tease is getting to be a bit much. If he “comes out” run it all you want to, otherwise boycott the pretty little cock tease. The joke is on us and he knows it.

11. Rob says

Wow- lots of haters. Go make your own videos. See how hard it is to make something funny and sexually charged. I thought that was fun. Geez I wish people would lighten up.

12. abiter says

BAHAHA Ok, so not all of it was funny, but a couple of lines made me LOL. “Oh, I hope it’s Peeta.” Sorry, I’m a big cultural references humor kinda guy so that and the Gotye references… uh… got me.