Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Frank Bruni | Michelle Bachmann | News

Frank Bruni Wonders What God Michele Bachmann Worships

Frank Bruni takes on Michele Bachmann's so-called 'Christian' faith in a searing piece in the NYT:

M_bachmannI’d like to meet that god, and I’d like to understand that Christianity.

After questioning her attacks on Huma Abedin, an aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, by suggesting she was part of the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrating America, and her previous attacks on vaccines, Bruni launches into Bachmann's attacks on Obama and gays:

Does it encourage gratuitously divisive condemnations of Barack Obama as “anti-American,” one of many incendiary phrases in her attacks against him in 2008? And does it compel a war against homosexuality waged with the language and illogic she uses?

She has said that gay men and lesbians are dysfunctional products of abuse and agents of “sexual anarchy,” and when the singer and songwriter Melissa Etheridge was battling breast cancer years ago, Bachmann helpfully chimed in: “This may be an opportunity for her now to be open to some spiritual things, now that she is suffering with that physical disease. She is a lesbian.”

Bachmann’s concept of Christian love brims with hate, and she has a deep satchel of stones to throw. From what kind of messiah did she learn that?

Much more at the Times. A must-read.

The Divine Miss M [nyt]

Comments

1. JASON, honey, while it's really nice and wonderful that in this country of free speech you can come to Towleroad and express yourself, even if it is done from the deepest recesses of your pathetic, immature and very Bachmann-like brain.

However, as someone above suggested, you might try and do just a little bit more research that what you glean from FOXNews and read up a little more on Islam. Karen Armstrong is an excellent author to start. She is an excellent writer and has written scholarly, readable, very interesting books on the subjects of Islam and its Prophet.

I live in a neighborhood that is populated with a multitude of people from South Asia and North Africa. They mostly are Muslim. Some are quite conservative. But, many are not and have a very gentle "live and let live" attitude. All are quite friendly and, like you or I, struggling to get by in this life amid difficult times.

Jason, you can point to the extreme expressions of Islam and one could say, well, maybe that is the sum of that religion.

But it's not. Islam is not monolithic and within Islam are many sects that do not subscribe to the extremely-conservative Islam such as that of Saudi Arabia or Iran (each of whose sect of Islam (Sunni/Sh'ia) considers the other the "enemy" and heretical).

Check out the Sufis if you want to understand that not all of Islam is as extremist or reactionary as you think.

I had a long talk on the train this Sunday past with a Muslim man from Tunisia who has lived and worked in America since 1997, is on the path to U.S. citizenship, who is married with two children and he supports marriage equality for same-sex couples.

His comment was "religion is such a personal thing; how can it get mixed up with politics which is all about opportunism and saying what you think will get you elected not what you actually believe?"

He then said, "I don't think any one book or any one man knows the mysteries of God enough to say that God did not have a purpose for people to be born gay. God does what God does and I don't think any of us should ever doubt that God has His reasons. God is love and everything in this universe He has created is from God's love."

Grow up, Jason. Try and get other viewpoints. Learn. Otherwise, go somewhere else. Maybe go back outside and play in the sandbox.

As my favorite adage from back in the day states (to all those "christians" such as Michelle Bachmann and yourself):

"May the Baby Jesus Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Mind."

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 24, 2012 12:00:01 PM

2. Bachmann is just the latest example of the homegrown fear-mongering our country has been subjected to in the decade following 9/11. These are NOT allegations to be played with in today’s society where dissidence is not being tolerated and minorities are being held without trial. As an elected official, Michelle should be leading by example not spewing her own form of politicized terrorism. You can read much more about living in this Orwellian society of fear and see my visual response to these measures on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/09/living-in-society-of-fear-ten-years.html We must acknowledge this type of bigotry erodes our freedoms from the inside out for ALL races of Americans.

Posted by: Brandt Hardin | Jul 24, 2012 3:19:47 PM

3. I have to ask what country Bachmann thinks she's living in, where she gets to determine which are good religions and which are the bad, freedom of religion means you get to practice or not practice any religion you want without government interference. She is a bit like Joe McCarthy in the 1950's, making unfounded accusations where she damages the people she is accusing, I can only hope her constituents vote her out when her term is up.

Posted by: lk | Jul 24, 2012 5:49:14 PM

4. Bachmann worships the god of the bible, yahweh. Get out a bible and read what it says about that jealous and murderous diety. Really read the OT, if you dare and then explain the words and deeds of Yahweh.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 25, 2012 1:47:59 AM

5. What "God" does Michele Bachmann worship?

Hmmm...by her insanity I would hazard the guess: Bel Shamharoth.

Posted by: Homer | Jul 25, 2012 3:46:13 AM

6. Amazing to me how the oppressed always find a way to oppress . And sure enough the biggest bully of them all, "God", has always got something to do with it. And the hubris of those "who believe". Such nonsense.

Posted by: WorksEm | Aug 29, 2012 11:57:11 PM

7. I was very impressed by Mr. Bruni's column in the Times this past weekend. The subject of sacrifice for the good of all. I had just turned 11 yrs old when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Every person I knew was active in supporting the war effort. Those as young as 10 years old were made active in some manner. The result of those times made me very aware of the problem of lack of citizen participation during the past two wars, Iraq and Afghanistan. It is beyond my comprehension that taxes were cut several times by the Previous Admistration. Income taxes were very high at the top levels after WWII, even into the middle fifties. The complete lack of involvement by the general population, other than building fortunes and allowing our young men to be sacrificed at the alter of political gain and financial profit, in my opinion is unconscionable. It is the single most glaring failure of our times. Shame on us all!!!

Posted by: Sam Preston | Oct 2, 2012 6:54:11 PM

8. I was very impressed by Mr. Bruni's column in the Times this past weekend. The subject of sacrifice for the good of all. I had just turned 11 yrs old when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Every person I knew was active in supporting the war effort. Those as young as 10 years old were made active in some manner. The result of those times made me very aware of the problem of lack of citizen participation during the past two wars, Iraq and Afghanistan. It is beyond my comprehension that taxes were cut several times by the Previous Admistration. Income taxes were very high at the top levels after WWII, even into the middle fifties. The complete lack of involvement by the general population, other than building fortunes and allowing our young men to be sacrificed at the alter of political gain and financial profit, in my opinion is unconscionable. It is the single most glaring failure of our times. Shame on us all!!!

Posted by: Sam Preston | Oct 2, 2012 6:54:12 PM