Jay-Z | Kanye West | News

Frank Ocean Coming Out On New Album 'Channel Orange'?

FrankOcean

Frank Ocean's Channel Orange doesn't hit shelves until July 17th, but BBC radio's Max caught a listen and says that Ocean, a ghostwriter for Justin Bieber, Beyonce, John Legend and also a vocal talent in his own right, basically comes out. Instead of using "her" in love songs, he blatantly uses "him".

From The Boombox:

[Ocean] has been holding listening parties all over the world, most recently in London, and after giving Channel Orange a spin, BBC 1 radio personality Max reported back on lyrics that would seemingly out Ocean as gay.

"Frank has also opened up about his sexuality on the album, we think it's brave and admire him for being so honest and sharing such a personal aspect of his life through his music," Max said. "On the songs 'Bad Religion' 'Pink Matter and 'Forrest Gump' you can hear him sing about being in love and their are quite obvious words used like 'him' and not 'her.'

The site also notes that Bossip.com recently ran a blind item suggesting Frank Ocean was prepping for a coming out party.

There’s been plenty of speculation about this hot young r&b star’s sexuality, but most of it has been drowned out by the adoration by fans and famous alike. After keeping folks guessing in 2011, this soul singer will answer any questions about which team he’s swinging for with his upcoming musical release.

If this is indeed about Ocean and he is coming out, the 24-year old and his many famous friends, like Jay-Z and Kanye West, could become leading figures in combating homophobia in hip-hop. That is if Ocean chose to do so, of course.

Comments

1. Interesting how you assume Jay-Z is going to be supportive of gay people. He may have spoken out in favor of gay marriage recently but he only did it AFTER President Obama spoke out and faced criticism.

If Jay-Z REALLY supported gay people he had plenty of time to say so but instead he said nothing. That speaks volumes.

Is Jay-Z concerned about supporting gay people or is he more concerned with speaking out to support a black president ?

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 3, 2012 6:57:01 PM

2. Well met! Hope he does. he's freakin sexy.

what's your issue, Igloo? Do you really have these concerns or are you just looking for a place to vent your learned prejudices toward black people?

;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 3, 2012 7:00:08 PM

3. Some people just can't be satisfied.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 3, 2012 7:06:13 PM

4. He's really talented, you queens can stop fighting over ur wigs and listen this man, thankyouverymuch

Posted by: MArk | Jul 3, 2012 7:09:11 PM

5. I showed a video of one of his performances to a friend following this announcement. He asked, "Why is he wearing a suit?" I answered, "Because he's preparing for our nuptials." Seriously, such a talented, handsome man.

Posted by: Thomas | Jul 3, 2012 7:46:19 PM

6. i REALLY hope he comes out or even states his (assumed) bisexuality. This would be a huge thing for the R&B world and another figure to help push the conversation along within the black community and more importantly "urban" culture. Oh and icebloo, Jay and Kanye have long before said that there's no place for homophobia in hip hop. Get your story straight. Big Frank fan and would love to finally have an out R&B artist to listen to. C'mon Miguel, you know you want to make it official too.

Posted by: PJ | Jul 3, 2012 7:48:59 PM

7. On the first Frank Ocean track I heard, i said, "This kid is astronomically talented. Look out." After learning that he's part of OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolfgang Kill Them All) with its out & proud lesbian member Syd Tha Kid, I had a feeling that he was up to good things.

Tyler the Creator undoubtedly uses "the f word" more often than most LGBT people would probably like, but Frank Ocean is riding his own unique path between classic R&B and a truly progressive sound. I'm dying to hear his new album, regardless of his sexuality.

Posted by: GMB | Jul 3, 2012 7:58:57 PM

8. Just did some Googling to see what else is happening for Frank Ocean. He's with Def Jam -- and Russell Simmons has been *very* outspoken for LGBT people over the last few years. So his label will clearly be supportive. He's also slated to open for Coldplay on part of their European tour this summer, which is huge.

The first track from the album has already been released on SoundCloud; "Pyramids" is ten minutes long. Listen here or dowload here:

Posted by: GMB | Jul 3, 2012 8:14:11 PM

9. His mixtape/bootleg disc of uncleared samples "nostalgiaULTRA" has been on heavy rotation with me for a long time. There is something really interesting about his voice. It's old yet modern, soulful yet stern. He's a fantastic songwriter. And I suspected from repeat listens that he was gay...the record gave me that same feeling that Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 did many years ago. That, and he wrote Beyonce's "I Miss U" which is one of the most heart aching ballads I'd heard in a long time and a "should've been single."

Posted by: Ben | Jul 3, 2012 8:29:43 PM

10. Bossip is the black version of Perez Hilton. Trash.

Posted by: ladycaca | Jul 3, 2012 8:30:21 PM

11. Ocean released the best album of 2011. If you don't own nostalgia/ULTRA (a not so hard to find self-released masterpiece) - and in which a lyric went, "I believe that marriage isn’t between a man and woman but between love and love…" - go find it. You won't be sorry. (My Best of 2011: http://bit.ly/ssDNJc)

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Jul 3, 2012 8:30:23 PM

12. I LOVE HIM!!! This guy i liked posted his stuff and i feel in love genuinely with his music,finding out he is gay is just the cherry on top

Posted by: sal | Jul 3, 2012 8:31:52 PM

13. Didn't he come out on Caribbean Queen?

Posted by: D | Jul 3, 2012 9:43:12 PM

14. Newsflash:

The entertainment industry is full of gays. This includes everything from ghost song writers to rappers. Gays make great entertainers.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 3, 2012 9:54:56 PM

15. Nostalgia/Ultra was disappointing. I heard his early stuff by chance and it is amazing. I've heard some of his newer stuff and it is really phenomenal. I'm really hopeful that this coming album will be the best ever.

Posted by: Solomon | Jul 3, 2012 10:46:55 PM

16. Don't fall for this. It's nonsense. No black male singer is ever going to come out as bisexual. Women wouldn't buy his CD's if he did. Women are notoriously bi-phobic when it comes to men.

Women cannot stand the notion of competing with a man for the affections of another man. It dis-empowers her.

Posted by: jason | Jul 3, 2012 11:00:06 PM

17. This isn't true. That song that sounded like it was a declaration of attraction to men was him singing from a female's point of view. He hasn't declared any gay/bisexuality himself...and even if he were, he'd be stupid to. Who would his buying demographic be after that? The "Glambert" audience? Please.

Posted by: DTG | Jul 4, 2012 12:46:59 AM

18. He's posted a new entry on his blog. He's at least bi. Go read it. frankocean.com

Posted by: Von | Jul 4, 2012 1:26:41 AM

19. He came out via his Official tumblr page.

Posted by: Nase | Jul 4, 2012 1:27:23 AM

20. Yeah, well, good luck with that. I have to wonder who thinks his audience is going to be now and who he's trying to target. Don't anticipate hearing him on the radio. My guess is that he'll play more to a modest, underground circuit than the mainstream.

Posted by: Acem | Jul 4, 2012 3:04:57 AM

21. Ha! I guess Jason and DTG are feeling pretty stupid right now because that post on his Tumblr doesn't even sound 'bi,' it sounds more like "I was with women before and thought I knew what love was then I fell in love with a man."

And what's with this "well, good luck with that" bu!!sh!t? Like you care. You're HOPING he fails either because you're a homophobe trolling gay sites (which really oughta make you wonder about your own issues) or you're a closet case who doesn't want to see someone else come out. Looks to me like he's doing fine already.

According to plenty of gossip there are are lots of black celebs on the DL, but OUT black celbrities? Not so much. Even Queen Latifah, who's so obviously gay she's like something Dr Frankendyke whipped up in her laboratory, is too chicken to say the words "I'm gay."

The most powerful thing a gay person can do is come out because study after study has shown that the BIGGEST factor in whether a person is pro-gay is if they know people who are gay. So bravo to Frank Ocean and a tip of the hat to others who have come out in support of gay rights and marriage equality.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 4, 2012 3:50:11 AM

22. "Combating homophobia in hip-hop?" How? Frank is an R&B singer, not a rapper. How is he supposed to combat homophobia in a genre that he isn't even in. That's like saying Adam Lambert is combating homophobia in Heavy Metal or Country.

It'll be interesting to see where his career goes from here. But honestly I'm not anticipating much commercial embrace from the urban music scene despite (or in spite of) this. He may continue to work behind the scenes as a writer, and he may continue to be this sort of slightly buzzed about performer on the Internet and in the underground music scene, with a modest alternative following; but I wouldn't bet on him getting a Vibe cover, having his music videos featured on BET's 106 & Park daily music countdown, or nominated as 'favorite male artist' by many well-to-do urban-geared award shows. Where his star power is now is pretty much where it'll stay.

Can't knock him for coming out and owning his truth, and he may even get some fleeting and casual praise/respect for it…but I don't expect this to turn into a Neil Patrick Harris type of situation, where his commercial prominence gets bigger and bigger in the industry he's in.

Posted by: Dejae | Jul 4, 2012 4:14:50 AM

23. Everyone finds a way to legitimize their personal prejudices. Whether it's against women, people of color, or simply people with different views. I applaud Frank the same way I applaud Anderson. Two completely different men on separate journey's down a similar road.

Those guided by hate and fear are going to have more to post, because humanity will continue to evolve on a social and moralistic level. Posting their fears and suspicions makes them feel powerful. You guys continue spewing your bile under the guise of anonymity. Even losers deserve a voice. Once again, Bravo to ALL my gay brothers and sisters ( whether famous or just an everyday person like me) and around the world who take the time and effort to be counted.

Posted by: afropolo | Jul 4, 2012 4:17:36 AM

24. I love his statement, very moving and real.

Posted by: Zee | Jul 4, 2012 4:24:56 AM

25. Congrats to him. I'm sure this reveal is a weight off his shoulders on a personal level. However I won't be buying his music from here on out. Not because I have something against gays but because I need to relate to the music & artists I listen to on a "personal level" and I can't relate to a man singing love songs about other men. Good for him though. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who can relate to what he's talking about!

Posted by: Trace | Jul 4, 2012 5:14:15 AM