Chick-fil-A | News

BigGayDeal.com

Chick-Fil-A Chief Dan Cathy Says the Company is 'Guilty as Charged' of its Support for Anti-Gay Causes

Kale

Chick-Fil-A COO Dan Cathy owned up to the company's contributions to anti-gay causes in a recent interview.

"Well, guilty as charged. We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

In related news, Chick-Fil-A is also a corporate bully.

Check out a new documentary about one man (above) who is fighting back,
AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm hoping that the more people know about how unhealthy Chik is, the less business it will do. Not surprised to hear they use frozen chicken. They supposedly use peanut oil, but wouldn't be surprised to learn that some franchises cut corners and use cheap hydrogenated palm oil or some other substitute. Their "spicy chicken salad sandwich delux" is a whopping 1500 calories, 63 gms of fat & 4840 gms of sodium! Not exactly health food!

Posted by: My2cents | Jul 17, 2012 3:19:24 PM

2. I posted about this on my facebook page and you all are right, I was shocked about the number of my friends who had NO clue about this companies homophobic ways.

I encourage everyone to make a twitter or facebook post reminding your friends. You'll be surprised by how some of your friends had no idea, and they deserve to know

Posted by: Carlos-East Coast | Jul 17, 2012 3:23:14 PM

3. How come no GLBT groups are responding to this company? Seriously, if they had a history of targetting Latinos, women, Jews or black people, they wouldn't hear the end of it from rallied groups of said people. Where exactly have our people, united under one umbrella, responded to this madness? To GLBT orgs----- while lavish parties are lovely, most gay people would respect someone who confronts filthy rich homophobic companies head on. And exercises our freedom of speech to fight their bigotry.

Posted by: lazerlightbeam | Jul 17, 2012 3:28:17 PM

4. Wow. A company has to be seriously homophobic to constantly make one demographic their punching bag and publically say so. Most companies don't care where the dollar is coming from, so long as it's coming, hence they don't want to alienate any potential consumer. This company really, truly must hate gays. I'd rather starve to death than be a sell out and eat where me and my equality are not welcomed

Posted by: Jackson | Jul 17, 2012 3:41:17 PM

5. So they're not really supportive of "the family", then, but only of some arbitrary subset of families that happens to abide by some sort of antiquated, arbitrary code to which they choose to subscribe? Did I get that right?

It's a shame, because Chik-Fil-A is pretty good, but I support all families regardless of religious beliefs—which means I can't support those who choose to discriminate against some of them.

Posted by: ACME Sales Rep | Jul 17, 2012 3:43:17 PM

6. Honestly? Chik fil a is terrible. IT TASTES FROZEN. Fresh chicken does not taste that stale. It's over hyped and I got the worst stomach pains last time I ate there years ago. Avoid it like the plague

Posted by: TigerSanFran | Jul 17, 2012 4:22:49 PM

7. Please let me know how I might get a copy of this film. I have a small independent Non profit theater and we would love to show it.

Posted by: melody | Jul 17, 2012 4:28:32 PM

8. @Weathervane:
    "I guess my point is that they are discriminating, perhaps even targeting gay people in a very "above board", "clean hands" way, so I'm proposing the same type of response. My suspicion is that a lot of the people who eat there are aware of their stance, and that's the main reason they are there. I believe that those people would be intolerant of our presence. Think lunch-counter sit-ins from the 50s...
    And thank you Michael, that was very helpful."

* * * * *

I find it much more appropriate to spread the word to your friends, family and coworkers that the Chick-fil-A company is AGGRESSIVELY trying to reduce and remove YOUR rights. IF they believe that you should be treated as second class citizens, then they should continue to patronize there food chain. Otherwise, they should join you in a boycott, and refuse to give them ANY money. None.

In addition, send them here:

They can make their own sandwiches, and know exactly what's going into it.

____________________________________________

@lazerlightbeam
    "How come no GLBT groups are responding to this company? Seriously, if they had a history of targetting Latinos, women, Jews or black people, they wouldn't hear the end of it from rallied groups of said people. Where exactly have our people, united under one umbrella, responded to this madness? To GLBT orgs----- while lavish parties are lovely, most gay people would respect someone who confronts filthy rich homophobic companies head on. And exercises our freedom of speech to fight their bigotry."

* * * * *

There must be some out there, Lazer.. because I've know for many, many years that Chick-fil-A were homophobic, "Christian" bigots. Although I don't remember when or where exactly I became aware, lol.

As far as LGBT "groups" doing something... Now that you are aware of this, make a *concerted effort* to sway as many people as possible from their establishment. As posted above, recruit your friends, family, and coworkers.. have them ALL post messages on FB.. tweet to their friends.. etc. Be PART of the fight, rather than expect someone else to take up the mantle.

I sincerely hope all of Andy's readers would be doing the same... as I have been doing.. for years. :D

Posted by: theotherlee | Jul 17, 2012 4:29:11 PM

9. Greasy, salty chicken parts and bigotry, its a recipe to never get my business. These chicken christers are peddling this junk to college students at every major university and it needs to stop. I think we should work as a group to get these rubes with their awful chicken and horrible bigotry off college campuses.

Posted by: John | Jul 17, 2012 6:18:58 PM

10. So who's going to verify that Chick-Fil-A's chef executives are actually married to their first wives and don't hire divorcees, adulterers, whores, etc.?

Posted by: Garst | Jul 17, 2012 6:29:59 PM

11. So who's going to verify that Chick-Fil-A's chef executives are actually married to their first wives and don't hire divorcees, adulterers, whores, etc.?

Posted by: Garst | Jul 17, 2012 6:30:05 PM

12. Hey Nick- FYI that they don't actually franchise. They are fully family owned and operated. A friend of mine actually contacted them about trying to franchise and this is the information he was given. However, after finding out their stance, even if they did offer a franchise, he would have never bought in. Support local businesses instead!

Posted by: Karin | Jul 17, 2012 7:17:45 PM

13. Where can we buy a t-shirt?

Posted by: Allison | Jul 17, 2012 7:31:53 PM

14. @weathervane: I'm sure your intentions are in the RIGHT place but even ordering the cheapest thing on the menu & not eating it to me seams just like those stupid, arrogant, anti-gay bigots who order a coffee at Starbucks then throw it down the drain - it's still contributing money to the company & not really helping the cause & besides aren't they closed on Sunday?

Posted by: chicken pox | Jul 17, 2012 9:44:58 PM

15. @my2cents: you miscalculated when you totaled the calories on the spicy chicken deluxe: it's 570 calories / 27gms fat /1790 gms sodium. That's fatty enough!! And you're right- not health food! (source: fatsecret.com)

That's some business model: "Well, guilty as charged. We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit..." Old Testament says a man can have as many wives as he can afford. Is that the definition they're talking about?

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 18, 2012 12:34:12 AM

16. Gay folks must be the most politically naive group in America. In part that's due to the under reporting of groups like Chick... by the gay-media.

Posted by: mike flower | Jul 18, 2012 1:35:24 AM

17. This is not news. This has been well known for years. I am always disappointed by the number of idiot gays who give this company money for them to use it against us.

EDUCATE YOURSELVES people ! WAKE UP ! STOP giving money to horrible people like this - stop giving money to these right wing businesses AND religions.

Hitting them in their bank balance is the ONLY way they will change. Only YOU can do it.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 18, 2012 2:14:18 AM

18. Someone commented on Truett Cathy being a pedophile? Is this true cause I can't find any information on it.

Posted by: Seth | Jul 18, 2012 6:19:58 PM

19. Please go onto Chick-fil-A's Facebook page and start a new comment thread complaining about how homophobic Chic-fil-A is. I did so yesterday and got lots of comments of support and some antagonists. The media is watching this and so is Chick-fil-A. The LA Times has a big story on Chick-fil-A's situation and it was picked up by Nation's Restaurant News which is the major trade publication in the restaurant industry. Corporations carefully keep track of both positive and negative comments made about them on Facebook and Twitterl. We all have an easy way to stick it to Chick-fil-A and any organization that hates us. Chick-fil-A's Facebook page is easy to find as it is just their name.

Posted by: John Selig | Jul 20, 2012 1:07:33 PM