Gay Marriage | News

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen is First GOP Member of Congress to Support Marriage Equality

Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) stands alone in her party on both DOMA and marriage equality, coming out for the latter this week, the Washington Blade's Chris Johnson reports:

RoslehtinenRep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the only Republican co-sponsor of legislation to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, confirmed on Tuesday she supports same-sex marriage after remarks she delivered at the launch of Young Conservatives for the Freedom to Marry at the Capitol Hill Club in D.C.

Asked by the Washington Blade whether she’s a supporter of same-sex marriage in addition to backing DOMA repeal, Ros-Lehtinen initially expressed confusion about why the question was being asked, saying, “I don’t know why you’re asking that. It’s such a weird way.” But she later affirmed she’s a supporter of marriage equality.

“Oh, yeah, I am,” Ros-Lehtinen said. “I thought you were trying to get some tricky thing here. No I am.”

Read Johnson's full article here.

Comments

1. "WESLEY" (13 JULY; 11:53:09 PM),

I AGREE. THAT WAS A VERY STRANGE STATEMENT SHE MADE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 14, 2012 1:02:43 AM

2. "Her district includes Key West. She'd kind of have to be to keep her seat"

Her district does include the Keys, but otherwise it is a pretty conservative district, she was in no danger of losing this seat. And actually, the district with the largest gay population to be represented by a Republican is Mary Bono's Palm Springs, CA area district, not this one.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 14, 2012 1:22:27 AM

3. "GEORGEM" (14 JULY; 12:53:58 AM),

DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT. I AM QUITE SURE YOU ARE A NEW ENGLAND CATCH!

WHEN IT COMES TO SOCIALIZING AT SOMEONE'S HOME, I PREFER WINTER-TIME. I AM A FIREPLACE TYPE OF MALE. IN WINTER, I AM ROBUST WITH ENERGY.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 14, 2012 1:22:29 AM

4. Thanks!
    Im not a fan of the summer heat myself.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jul 14, 2012 1:57:51 AM

5. Very good. By the way, his husband, Mr Lehtinen, has a Finnish surname.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 14, 2012 3:50:05 AM

6. YOU WILL FIND A DIFFERENT SITUATION WITH THE FEMALE MEMBERS OF, Congressional Black Caucus.

Posted by: Cari Machado | Jul 14, 2012 5:46:27 AM

7. So what's up with you people at the all caps comments? Cut that crap out!

Posted by: Jim | Jul 14, 2012 5:49:59 AM

8. I agree about the excessive pop ups. OVERKILL.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 14, 2012 6:49:51 AM

9. @? - re: 'What? I thought all Republicans were "rich racist homophobes" as per the annoying queens on this site.'

Did you read the article? In jumping to conclusions and rushing to make your accusation it appears as though you missed the article heading as well: First GOP Member of Congress to Support Marriage Equality.

Posted by: Gigi | Jul 14, 2012 8:05:29 AM

10. @CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON - Fyi, ALL CAPS comments and singing off on every post make you look a bit odd. If you are in fact odd I apologize. If not, you've been told. Enjoy the day!

Posted by: Gigi | Jul 14, 2012 8:08:57 AM

11. HAHAHA I'm LOVING how every poster is ignoring Christopher Allen Horton and his 'trollery' and he basically has to scream for his presence to be known, and yet he's still being ignored. Guess every regular got the memo: Christopher Allen Horton is a chemically imbalanced troll who should be ignored. Good going posters. You're finally cracking the code on the weirdos (Rick, Ratbastard, Christopher Allen Horton...all the same poster)

Posted by: MJ | Jul 14, 2012 3:29:36 PM

12. Christopher Allen Horton (aka resident angry black man on here) is actually a known troll with sites on the internet perfectly spelling out how he trolls when you search him an his unstable profiles. You just have to feel sorry for people who are certifiable. But it IS fun laughing at them, I admit

Posted by: Jacob | Jul 14, 2012 4:32:58 PM

13. Christopher Allen Horton I would bet money is in all likelihood diagnosed with a terminal illness and has very little time on this earth hence the emotional outbursts on here. It happens frequently with those in such dire circumstances with limited time on this planet. I'm thinking he'll either off himself soon or the illness will kill him before then but I assure you it's something related to that

Posted by: TruthHurts | Jul 14, 2012 4:35:43 PM

14. OMG - I totally agree with the annoying popup of "Would you recommend Towleroad to people in your life? Why?" The answer will be NO if there continue to be annoying popups!!! I hope you didn't have to pay for these popups, Andy!

Posted by: bravo | Jul 14, 2012 11:06:15 PM

15. "JACOB,"

THANKS FOR THE COMPLEMENT. I AM GLAD YOU PERUSED MY ONLINE ACTIVITIES. LET ME KNOW IF SOMETHING "CAUGHT YOUR EYE."

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 14, 2012 11:19:36 PM

16. @Mike
    It always take a great person to raise up and do the right thing, like Abraham Lincoln who freed the slaves and today Obama who is freeing the gays. God Bless these great people who truly know the word of God when he or she said we were all created equal and to love one another.

I would question your contention that Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves. In the first place, Old Abe, did issue the document known as the Emancipation Proclamation but without being in control for the area covered by the document, it was not enforceable by federal troops. The issuance of the Proclamation was a political ploy to incite rebellion within the borders of a foreign state (the Confederate States of America). Without enforcement power, it was just a propaganda gesture on the part of a not really effective, up to that point, war effort. The slaves that were under Union control would have to wait for freedom until after the end of the Civil War and the passage of the 13th amendment to the Constitution of the United States (which occurred after the death of Abraham Lincoln).
    Can you provide chapter and verse where this "god considers all of us to be created equal". While Thomas Jefferson may have made a statement about "all men being created equal", I am not familiar as to where the pseudo-christian god made such a declaration. It would be helpful if you could provide the information.

Posted by: vanndean | Jul 14, 2012 11:43:56 PM

17. Dear Christopher Allen Horton; posting occasionally in all-caps may add emphasis to a statement, posting solely in all-caps does little for your posts and merely ensures that you come across as a little deranged and unhinged.

Regards, Mundus.