Film | Kellan Lutz | News

BigGayDeal.com

Kellan Lutz to Play a Bullied Straight Person in a World Dominated by Gay People

1_lutz

Kellan Lutz and Camilla Belle have been cast as a secretive straight couple living in a world where gays are in the majority, in a new film called Love Is All You Need?, according to the Hollywood Reporter:

The film is set in a world where homosexuality is the norm and follows several storylines. Belle, who is in final negotiations, will play a star quarterback (yes, you read that right) adored by a large fan base while Lutz, whose deal is closed, is an aspiring journalist. The two fall in love, with their relationship growing in secret, but when the romance becomes public, the two find themselves being bullied.

The film was co-written by and will be directed by Kim Rocco Shields.

Comments

1. 1. This move has been already made. It's called Almost Normal and it is BAD! Not Camp bad but bad-bad.

2. This will just give fodder to the anti-gay crowd that all gay men are predators.

3. Kellan does not have the star power or acting talent to make this movie work.

Posted by: Sam | Jul 25, 2012 4:19:03 PM

2. Well, there's a good rationalization for the subject matter, Andrew. Under the presumption that Joe Six-Pack has the cognitive wherewithal to make that willing suspension of disbelief? Naive: Party of One.

Posted by: CVP | Jul 25, 2012 4:21:14 PM

3. So, in an alternate reality I could eat at Chick-fil-a?

Posted by: Kevin | Jul 25, 2012 4:27:53 PM

4. A huge mistake - even if well done it's going to play right into the hands of the straight bigots to believe that they would be treated that way if gays had the chance. No matter how well meaning, the generalization of all gays as bullies is a negative portrayal that will be a disaster.

Posted by: George | Jul 25, 2012 4:31:32 PM

5. Stupid Idea

Posted by: Mawm | Jul 25, 2012 4:33:17 PM

6. I liked this movie the first time they made it, when it was called "White Man's Burden" starring John Travolta and Harry Belafonte. Underrated movie.

Posted by: Ray Ivey | Jul 25, 2012 4:50:07 PM

7. And They say Hollywood's liberal. LOL. Another slap in he face-turning the persecuted into he instigators of hate. Must be high concept.

Posted by: Molc | Jul 25, 2012 4:58:39 PM

8. Tyranny of the majority is never pretty. Playing a 'closetted straight boy journalist', I doubt he's going to have his shirt off enough to make this train-wreck worth the effort. ;)

Posted by: jexer | Jul 25, 2012 5:16:22 PM

9. This is almost the same plot as "Almost Normal", it was pretty good. You can watch it on Netflix.

Posted by: RobWest | Jul 25, 2012 5:17:11 PM

10. This will never find distribution but in twenty years some too clever freshman will make a musical out of it and jumpstart their career.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Jul 25, 2012 5:37:47 PM

11. This sounds like a lame idea for a bad "Twilight Zone" episode .

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 25, 2012 5:39:15 PM

12. This movie will not happen. It will either fail to get funding or movie theaters will refuse to show it.

Money talks here in the US &, unfortunately, those right wing crazies have most of it !

America is not a democracy.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 25, 2012 5:41:17 PM

13. Sounds like the off Broadway Musical ZANNA DON'T- (grad the cd- its wonderful!)

Posted by: Dr. C | Jul 25, 2012 5:49:50 PM

14. It is hard to believe that anyone would bully Kellan Lutz. The guy looks like he could take out most MMA cage fighters. Believe me, I have looked at him a lot. WOW!

Posted by: andrew | Jul 25, 2012 6:08:03 PM

15. This is the most offensive thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Wow.

Posted by: b | Jul 25, 2012 6:24:15 PM

16. Terrible, sophomoric, ridiculous idea for a movie...and kind of insulting, too. I trust the executive producers don't plan on spending more than $500 to make this crap, because merely the concept has flop written all over it.

Posted by: Bryan | Jul 25, 2012 7:05:39 PM

17. OK, I've seen "Almost Normal" (which was just OK), "Zanna, Don't!" (which is a fluffy delight, as long as you don't think too hard about the "alternate world"), and the original short this movie will be based on, "Love Is All You Need?" which was well-done but heavy as plutonium. This is really going to have to be brilliant to overcome the hurdles mentioned by other posters. (Why didn't they just film "Zanna, Don't?)

Posted by: Dback | Jul 25, 2012 9:18:49 PM

18. I agree with Andrew, I think this movie is a great idea and overdue, imo. It's the premise I've always thought of when people are being made to feel wrong because they're drawn to someone of the same gender. So I'm a woman that feels romantic with men, what if that were deemed wrong by society? This isn't about gay people being mean, it's about a mirror universe. I'm sure quite a few gay people in the movie will be supportive of hetero relationships.

Posted by: Nadine | Jul 25, 2012 9:25:06 PM

19. Funny how the gays get all bunched up when they want to turn against something. I thought this was going to be a movie version of the Off-Broadway musical Zanna, Don't! that starred Jay Rodriguez, pre-Queer Eye fame. Let the movie actually play out first before giving it a final judgment as you usually do.

Posted by: Craig | Jul 25, 2012 9:32:08 PM

20. I'm personally not insulted by the idea of this movie, the intention is good, but the question is whether or not the execution will be good. With that being said, I'll take a wait and see approach and be hopeful. I HOPE straight folk take something from this movie and can see life from the other side, so to speak, but I don't really expect it.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 25, 2012 10:03:03 PM

21. It may be time for a good "why was a born queer?" cry.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 25, 2012 11:29:18 PM

22. Either the films mission is to plant seeds of paranoia in the heads of straight people..creating MORE violence against gays. Or the films creators are completely deluded. A film like this is like giving a drug addict a needle. It will fuel the homophobes to the point of more violence.

Posted by: Van Highs | Jul 26, 2012 1:33:38 AM

23. I agree with others. This film has a potentially dangerous outcome, regardless of it's intentions. We give the average American viewer way too much credit, especially those who are homophobic. They use any outlet as an excuse to hate on gays, and are an extremely impressionable bunch.

Posted by: JP | Jul 26, 2012 1:34:44 AM

24. ....because the REALITY of sharing the crime, hate, and prejudice gay people face in a world full of straights is not a more suitable story to tell?

Posted by: Ames | Jul 26, 2012 1:35:25 AM

25. Yeah, what??? What if pies could fly and dogs could build rocket ships? This is a dumb ass idea. Not because it doesn't have some good intentions but because they will be address in the most superficial and probably non-threatening way possible

1. You have to account for the fact the major obstacle for sexuality and gender is the Bible and the pack of lies it has helped build societies on for centuries. Otherwise sexuality would be like any other taste, we dont beat people for hating bologna, for not being sexually attracted to redheads or other races for that matter. I'm guessing religion (as it stands) wont be challenged.

2. This is STILL focused on the straight couple. I wouldn't be surprised if the gays in this film aren't boiled down to "perfectly" adjusted versions of hetero normal ideals. Meaning a MAJOR lack gay sex scenes or intimacy. Hey, the film industry still understands LGBT is a minority market, even if it is a progressive film.

I hope I'm completely wrong about the film and it overcomes my expectations but I realize Hollywood is a business and they have to sell a film. At the end of the day getting the most people to see a film matters more now than ever before.

Posted by: Toto | Jul 26, 2012 2:23:56 AM