Hip-Hop | Murs | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Rapper Murs' 'Animal Style' is Tragic Gay Love Story About the Closet: VIDEO

2_murs

34-year-old rapper Murs (aka Nick Carter) released a powerful video last week called "Animal Style" depicting the ill-fated relationship of two young gay men, and the closet that destroys them both.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

MursWrites Murs about the video:

"Animal Style is a song I did for many reasons,. The first was to be an advocate for people close to me who are out, and those who have yet to come out. It's also a love song, which is nothing new for me. But with this one I wanted to challenge the listener to ask themselves: Is the love shared by two people of the same gender, really that different than the love I have for my partner of the opposite sex? And finally, I just felt it was crucial for some of us in the hip hop community to speak up on the issues of teen suicide, bullying, and the overall anti-homosexual sentiment that exist within hip hop culture. I felt so strongly about these issues and this song that I had to do a video that would command some attention, even if it makes some viewers uncomfortable. Even if it came at the cost of my own comfort."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

"Animal Style" is from the forthcoming album Love & Rockets, Volume 2: The Declaration.

(via on top)

Comments

1. I'd rather chip a tooth than listen to rap.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 16, 2012 9:27:21 AM

2. That was a mess. Still very homophobic but at least rappers like Murs are trying to do something about homophobia in hip-hop.

Posted by: jay | Jul 16, 2012 9:39:59 AM

3. Closed minds get us nowhere. If you can't appreciate the music, at least appreciate the message, the context, and the implication of telling this story via a medium that has historically rejected homosexuality. In other words, click the damn link.

Posted by: Perpective | Jul 16, 2012 9:42:51 AM

4. Well the end of that was a tad melodramatic. Nice sentiment though.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 16, 2012 9:46:08 AM

5. From what Murs says, it sounds as though he intended this video to be helpful. I don't think it is. I don't think it does what he says it does and I'm worried that it will reinforce ideas in some troubled heads.

Posted by: Greg | Jul 16, 2012 9:51:11 AM

6. Of COURSE it will reinforce ideas in some troubled heads, but it will ALSO be helpful to those ready for a change in perspective. That's how these things work.

Posted by: Perpective | Jul 16, 2012 9:56:59 AM

7. This is way OTT. We don't need to see them actually kill each other to get that oppression and homophobia totally sucks.

Posted by: ryan | Jul 16, 2012 9:57:46 AM

8. Good on Murs for stepping up and addressing this in his own way, to his primary audience...

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jul 16, 2012 10:10:18 AM

9. Wow. Incredible. And for those who think this is "OTT", think about this..... everyday these kids live violence- they see it, feel it, know it- but not in this context. The graphic nature of this and the unexpected nature of that are what make the message so impactful....so viscerally raw that people can't look the other way.

Posted by: NVAgBoi | Jul 16, 2012 10:33:37 AM

10. Wow what a mess ! Hopefully the video will make a few people think.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Jul 16, 2012 10:49:11 AM

11. @NVAgBoi, you hit the nail on the head. Even though I knew the ending was tragic, I couldn't peel my eyes away. Very intense stuff.

Posted by: MattS | Jul 16, 2012 10:52:25 AM

12. Yes, just a tad melodramatic.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 16, 2012 10:56:36 AM

13. It's sort of a hip-hop Romeo and Romeo, yes it's tragic, but so is life sometimes. Applaud him taking this message to his audience, every chip in homophobia helps break it down.

Posted by: RONTEX | Jul 16, 2012 11:08:24 AM

14. Hip hop genre is a subculture protest of mainstream society. It's a reaction, reflection and response with an attitude. This video is the beginning of homosexuality acceptance within the hip hop community. No different from the movie industry that made Dog Day Afternoon or Cruising.

Posted by: Wyett Earp | Jul 16, 2012 11:33:21 AM

15. It may be hip but it isn't music. And this is a throwback to the old evil days when all gay stories had to end tragically.

Posted by: Jay | Jul 16, 2012 11:45:24 AM

16. Good message. We need gay visibility in all mediums.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jul 16, 2012 11:51:20 AM

17. @WYETT EARP

incredibly intelligent comment. If I'd stop cursing at people on this blog maybe I could think so clearly. Hot damn these motha' f....

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 16, 2012 12:07:38 PM

18. I would have preferred it didn't end in murder/suicide, but maybe the shock value of that is what's needed to reach the intended audience. It might have been more truly revolutionary if the couple had ended up together but then many listeners would have dismissed it out of hand. Murs' heart is in the right place though, and it's interesting that this song/video was released about the same time as Frank Ocean's reveal even though the two things are not related. It's a clear signal that Hip-Hop is ready to start dealing with "the gay issue" and address the homophobia in the genre so it's a positive step.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 16, 2012 12:20:27 PM

19. Awful and horrific. This is supposed to be a positive message? That the only way for gay people to find peace is murder/suicide? Dude, if this is what you've got, please don't help us.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 16, 2012 12:27:37 PM

20. Tragic love stories are fine. Tragically bitter queens who hate hip-hop enough to comment on a hip-hop music video are the real problem.

Posted by: RandySf | Jul 16, 2012 2:42:39 PM

21. I see this video as a positive step. But I feel like this story has been done before, mainly in gay/independent cinema. Another step forward that this time the audience isn't intended to be gay males.

Posted by: JD | Jul 16, 2012 3:29:39 PM

22. Aww, that was sad. =(

Clearly many of you missed the message...

Posted by: B | Jul 16, 2012 3:58:43 PM

23. I thought it was good. This story may have been done before, but rarely in this format.

If you think the message of the video is "suicide is good", then you obviously weren't paying attention.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 16, 2012 4:23:34 PM

24. IF WE WANT REAL FREEDOM, WE NEED TO USE 2012 EYES AND EARS....

Milestones for Gay equality in the Black community and in music are coming up fast this year. It is stupid thinking to judge the video by middle aged Gay man thinking.

"R and J" was a powerful story when Shakepeare told it -- it works well here

Posted by: Bob | Jul 16, 2012 5:29:57 PM

25. does anyone remember 1992?

Posted by: TweeAndArmed | Jul 16, 2012 6:10:48 PM