Andy Cohen | Sean Avery

Sean Avery And Andy Cohen Sitting In A Booth...

AveryCohen

Fashionable New York Ranger hockey player Sean Avery posted this picture of a Hamptons "date night" with bigwig Andy Cohen. And they saved some leftovers for you!

Comments

1. So what? Why is this a "story"? Who cares?

Posted by: Tre | Jul 6, 2012 12:55:02 PM

2. Enough with the stereotypes of both straight and gay men. There are no templates for either except in the minds of those with agendas or the usual pot-stirring trolls on the net. Men all over the sexual spectrum both enjoy watching and participating in various sports. As to S.A., there were players on other teams, and some on his own team who thought he was gay or at least somewhere in the middle of the sexual spectrum. I'm told some sports writers thought so as well.

Posted by: Contrarian | Jul 6, 2012 12:57:08 PM

3. I love wine with pizza!

Posted by: gwd3rd61@gmail.com | Jul 6, 2012 1:05:08 PM

4. I love Andy! He shamelessly seff-promotes but he always seems to be having fun and his visibility only helps our acceptance.

Posted by: gwd3rd61@gmail.com | Jul 6, 2012 1:09:37 PM

5. After pizza, ...what happens in the limo stays in the limo.
    "Hmmm, pepperoni AND sausage...."

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jul 6, 2012 2:38:45 PM

6. About Rick: I know few people--maybe none--who hate gay men as much as Rick does.

Posted by: Danny in the East Village | Jul 6, 2012 2:47:02 PM

7. "As to S.A., there were players on other teams, and some on his own team who thought he was gay or at least somewhere in the middle of the sexual spectrum. I'm told some sports writers thought so as well"

Probably because he endorsed same-sex marriage in New York State and testified on behalf of it in hearings in the State Assembly.

See what I mean?

Straight guys can't win. If they befriend us, they are suspected of being gay by both gay and straight. If they don't, they are considered to be insecure and homophobic by many gays.

And then you wonder why many of them therefore don't even try.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 6, 2012 4:12:35 PM

8. To hell with the pizza. I'll eat Andy Cohen for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And after I am done, I'll have him for dessert. Hottest gay in TV right now

Posted by: Lindoro Almaviva | Jul 6, 2012 5:01:58 PM

9. Oh, I dunno, most of my male friends are str8. My closest friend (gay) and his partner have many, many str8 male friends as well. The ages range from 20-somethings to 60+. They cover all socio-economic categories, education levels, and many different professions. Some like sports, some are bored by them. They're not threatened by being seen with a gay man, they themselves sometimes take a stab at participating in camp humor (at an understandably novice level), just as we gay guys participate in their man's-man humor. They're good sports at tolerating our jokes about guys with nice, tight butts, we tolerate their jokes about boobs. Just where do you come up with this crap, Rick? Certainly not the real world.

Posted by: jim | Jul 6, 2012 5:12:50 PM

10. Ugh! Wonky eye Andy always looks SOOOO impressed with himself. Can't stand him.

Posted by: Ugly | Jul 6, 2012 7:51:11 PM

11. Hi Sean

Posted by: Chris | Jul 6, 2012 8:32:43 PM

12. Kind of a funny picture. Avery is, by some accounts, bi. It's only a matter of time, folks. And I couldn't care less one way or the other.

I do like his public persona, though.

Also, on a shallow note: Notice Andy's wrinkled white, kinda ugly t-shirt.
    Notice Sean's perfect fitting, perfectly ironed trendy plaid shirt.

Ironic? Hmmm, no, I think not. Good luck to Sean, and I hope he comes out soon.

Posted by: KrisJ2222 | Jul 6, 2012 8:37:57 PM

13. Have to agree with JIm. Most of my many male friends are straight and completely comfortable with me, as Out as you can be. If it were an issue I wouldn't know them. Not long ago I belonged to a male group of 16 guys, all straight but me. We met once a week to talk about our lives. Most were married and because we bonded so well and talked about so much substantial stuff, mostly of a philosophic nature, many wives were crazy envious to join us. It never devolved into money, sex or sports and all were lovingly respectful of me. In fact I was having a mutually satisfying "affair" with one of them at the time, definitely subrosa. Many of the guys sought me out and made real efforts to keep in touch after we disbanded. It was all charming, upbeat and hugely supportive to the four or five who were in life, health, marriage, family crises. I did get the feeling that my perceived, and mostly accurate, special openess to men was endearing and heart-warming to these guys, who had, however, been hand-picked by the organizer of the group. So they were not exactly a random selection from off the street.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 6, 2012 8:54:20 PM

14. Bottom line as I have seen and experienced it: men love to be loved by other men, and to be loving towards other men. Sex not so much, but sometimes yes.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 6, 2012 8:57:10 PM

15. @Rick, I'll quote your post first.
    ""As to S.A., there were players on other teams, and some on his own team who thought he was gay or at least somewhere in the middle of the sexual spectrum. I'm told some sports writers thought so as well"

See what I mean?

And then you wonder why many of them therefore don't even try."

Rick, you've got a valid point, and I understand your point of view. But first, Sean was thought to be bi by a few (maybe more than a few) long before his endorsement of same sex marriage.

And not to play into the stereotype (he does, after all play NHL) but Sean has always had an interest in fashion, is a great dresser and was an intern at Vogue magazine - women's Vogue.

I confess I've had some discomfort coming out to my straight male buddies, and one who I frequently have dinner with, alone. I almost felt like telling him "don't worry, they won't think you're gay just because you're with me." After all, most people never suspect.

But then I realized something, and this is where I strongly disagree with you: If a straight buddy has a terrible time accepting the fact that he may be - briefly - mistaken for gay or bi, then he has no business being your - or my friend.

I've been out with beautiful female friends and it was not lost on me that we'd sometimes get the best table in the house - because we were mistaken for being romantically involved. It was a giggle, and I actually enjoyed the mistaken identity for a little while.

If I can do it, so can the straight guy.

Posted by: KrisJ2222 | Jul 6, 2012 9:31:17 PM

16. Three questions: 1) Who took the photo? 2) Why does it look like a faded polaroid? 3) You guys actually eat pizza in NY?

Posted by: Steve | Jul 7, 2012 1:22:58 AM

17. those hickey freeman ads in the NYT get on my nerves.

Posted by: seito | Jul 7, 2012 10:23:30 AM

18. As I often say say on here, Gays Are Their Own Worst Enemies. Average gays seem to have a real problem with other more successful or famous gays. Even Anderson Cooper got a wrath of crap from the boys this week because it took him too long to come out or he was too quiet about it or to public about it or too gay or her mentioned God or someother nonsense. And ANDY COHEN has the nerve to be successful on TV (through garbage, admittedly) and has high profile friends and so he must be punished by the gays amongst us with the lowest possible self esteem. You guys embarass us all with your inferiority complexes.

Posted by: DrJWL | Jul 7, 2012 10:25:53 AM

19. Don't take me too seriously, guys. I'm closeted and have never so much as kissed another man. That's why I hate femmes. Because they get laid and I don't.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 7, 2012 3:39:33 PM

20. LITTLE PUTZ wrote that last one because RICK gets laid (by real men) and he doesn't. That simple. Fact.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 7, 2012 6:04:36 PM

21. Not sure where a lot of you live, but for those of us who live in NYC and work in the entertainment world, there's a lot of gay men and straight men who have formed great friendships...

Posted by: Freddy | Jul 8, 2012 11:23:27 AM

22. Andy Cohen strikes me as the type of guy who would have bad breath: a mix of coffee, dry mouth, necrotic muscle tissue from meaty pizza and just a faint whiff of Axe body spray.

Posted by: CVP | Jul 8, 2012 12:16:14 PM

23. "It's rare that I meet one who isn't all about either sports, big boobs, hunting, fishing, beer or all five at the same time. Bore/snore. We just have nothing in common."

I find gays who only talk about musicals, shopping, random hook-ups, and Madonna extremely boring and I have nothing in common with them. I do, however, have straight friends who I am more than happy to hang out with and we don't discuss anything that you mention. Well, boobs… because I love boobs, but I am the one that points them out if they're extra special. It must be tough to surround yourself with only gays who are like you. Or maybe you just don't have any friends. Hetero stereotypes are alive and well.

Posted by: Name | Jul 8, 2012 5:32:18 PM

24. Steve, I don't know who took the picture. The reason for the look of the picture is that it was taken inside without flash and under incandescent light. As for eating pizza in NYC, one would think that in a city that probably has more pizza places per square mile than even Italy, people would sometimes eat pizza.

Posted by: vanndean | Jul 17, 2012 7:53:05 PM

25. Steve, I don't know who took the picture. The reason for the look of the picture is that it was taken inside without flash and under incandescent light. As for eating pizza in NYC, one would think that in a city that probably has more pizza places per square mile than even Italy, people would sometimes eat pizza.

Posted by: vanndean | Jul 17, 2012 7:53:06 PM