Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Singer Frank Ocean Comes Out: 'I Feel Like A Free Man'

FrankOceanOutResponding to rumors that he was coming out on his next album, Channel Orange, singer-songwriter Frank Ocean confirmed via Tumblr that he is indeed a gay man.

The declaration, build around the first time he fell in love, was meant to be included in Channel Orange's liner notes, but Ocrean decided to publish them ahead of time. Here is the bit about struggling to come to terms with his emotions as the love of his life bottled his own:

4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile. I'd hear his conversation and his silence ... until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless...

I sat there and told my friend how I felt. I wept as the words left my mouth. I grieved for them, knowing I could never take them back for myself. He patted my back. He said kind things. He did his best, but he wouldn't admit the same. He had to go back inside soon. It was late and his girlfriend was waiting for him upstairs. He wouldn't tell me the truth about his feelings for me for another 3 years. I felt like I'd only imagined reciprocity for years. Now imagine being thrown from a cliff. No, I wasn't on a cliff, I was still in my car telling myself it was gonna be fine and to take deep breaths. I took the breaths and carried on. I kept up a peculiar friendship with him because I couldn't imagine keeping up my life without him. I struggled to master myself and my emotions. I wasn't always successful.

He concludes, "To my mother, you raised me strong. I know I'm only brave because you were first ... so thank you. All of you. For everything good. I feel like a free man."

Read the rest of Ocean's coming out remarks, which I've included as a pop-out window, AFTER THE JUMP.

FrankOceanTumblr

Comments

1. Wow! Beautiful man...beautiful words! Bravo Frank Ocean.

Posted by: Drew | Jul 4, 2012 11:20:42 AM

2. Wow that was a great read.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 4, 2012 11:24:21 AM

3. last time I heard it was LGBT community so if he is Bi I will be supportive

Posted by: Kimono | Jul 4, 2012 11:24:23 AM

4. Was he really hiding it? I scrolled through his tumblr and there are pictures of hot shirtlessmen and just other culturally gay post on their. Still I think it is important that he did this before his album drops, allowing him to start early as an artist.

Posted by: Joe | Jul 4, 2012 11:37:09 AM

5. Jason and Bruce are the same person? It seems so, especially with the talk of "gay brand."

Posted by: Paulie | Jul 4, 2012 11:53:47 AM

6. It's up to him to define his sexuality but that statement doesn't read 'bi' to me. Plenty of gay men have been with women, even married them, before coming to terms with their real sexuality and that sounds more like what he's saying. In my opinion. Guess we'll have to wait to hear what he says about it.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 4, 2012 12:04:25 PM

7. welcome to the real world, Frank :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 4, 2012 12:09:13 PM

8. Great, but I've never heard of him and it seems the free press was key here. (Waiting until his next album came out? Cough. Cough.)

Posted by: anon | Jul 4, 2012 12:15:40 PM

9. Notice on Frank Ocean's Tumblr blog the GIF of Smithers, the gay PA from The Simpsons, covering his eyes in horror as two showgirls shake their asses at him. Page 2 of the blog if this link doesn't work.

Posted by: tcw | Jul 4, 2012 12:18:27 PM

10. Did not know who Frank was until yesterday's post. I checked out a few of his songs on youtube and he reminds me of a new version of Seal, with a heavier R&B influence to his music. His lyrics and sound carry the same emotion and gravitas. The man is a gifted writer for sure.

Interesting that he is a ghost writer for quite a few big names in pop. Listening to the small sample of his songs via youtube, he obviously saved the best songs for himself. ;o)

Posted by: MattS | Jul 4, 2012 12:26:27 PM

11. Russell Simmons is quoted as saying today: "I am profoundly moved by the courage and honesty of Frank Ocean. Your decision to go public about your sexual orientation gives hope and light to so many young people still living in fear. These types of secrets should not matter anymore, but we know they do, and because of that I decided to write this short statement of support for one of the greatest new artists we have."

Posted by: tcw | Jul 4, 2012 12:28:37 PM

12. nice when someone who isn't a stereotype comes out.

Posted by: kai | Jul 4, 2012 12:31:01 PM

13. everyone is a stereotype of some sort. especially those that can't stop talking about how "not a stereotype" they are.

this man is so damned sexy and talented. we've got one more rad-@ss brother standing up to be counted. WOOF.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 4, 2012 12:35:49 PM

14. Frank ocean is LGBT. He is a simply gay man.

Posted by: Solomon | Jul 4, 2012 12:49:26 PM

15. It is so sad that some feel the need to make something like this ugly. It is messed up.

Posted by: Alex | Jul 4, 2012 1:19:38 PM

16. For all intents and purposes, coming out is coming out...whether as a bisexual or a homosexual. If nothing else, religious homophobes are always saying they hate the "act" and not the "person", which is BS, but even if you are bi, you are admitting you like the act! In fact I almost wonder if some homophobes would be more distressed by someone coming out as bi than gay. In any case, good for this guy, though I've never heard of him and doubt I'd like his music.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | Jul 4, 2012 1:29:00 PM

17. I am always happy to see my brothers and sisters come out and speak freely, I hope you find the love you are looking for and if you need a friend who will listen I am here. It is all about being free and I am glad to see you are taking steps in that direction.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 4, 2012 1:48:26 PM

18. Admittedly, his is not the type of music that I typically listen to (I had to listen to some before commenting here), but I am happy for him and our gay community that he has chosen to come out. It helps us all.

Posted by: PatricknChuck | Jul 4, 2012 1:50:57 PM

19. This is a double gift. I've just heard his music for the first time and it's astounding.

What a 4th of July gift.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jul 4, 2012 2:11:32 PM

20. I will be interested to see if in upcoming interviews, he touches on the fact that the musical group he was a member of, Odd Future, is known for anti-gay lyrics and how he as a gay or bi guy processed being part of that....

Posted by: Anthony | Jul 4, 2012 2:50:29 PM

21. I don't care if he's gay or bi, he likes dudes is the important bit. Heard of him before, definitely gonna check out his tracks now. All the best to him.

Posted by: Marcus | Jul 4, 2012 2:58:43 PM

22. This site needs better moderation; every post seems to devolve into shout-typing in the comments section.

Posted by: Hugh | Jul 4, 2012 3:05:48 PM

23. I don't think Frank Ocean needed to do this for press. You may have not heard of him, but he is the hottest, most in demand Urban artist in the music industry. He was featured on a few tracks from the Jayz/Kanye "Watch The Throne" album. His Terminal 5 show sold out in minutes and his album isn't even out yet.

Posted by: JJ | Jul 4, 2012 3:09:26 PM

24. For anyone who cares, Tyler the Creator off Odd Future tweeted his support basically.

Posted by: Marcus | Jul 4, 2012 3:13:48 PM

25. Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap,clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap. (Bravo.)

Posted by: Jedi | Jul 4, 2012 3:16:33 PM