Greg Berlanti | News | Sebastian Stan

And Now, a Brief Scene from 'Political Animals': VIDEO

Stan

In which gay former First Son Sebastian Stan puts his washboard abs to use as a cocaine tray for his meaningless online hook-up, and we learn that Robert Pattinson is not gay.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Those of you watching the series, how are you liking it?

Comments

1. I love it Political Animals. I cant believe everyone isn't watching it. Stellar cast and great writing.

Posted by: ggreen | Jul 27, 2012 11:43:56 AM

2. I love it too - somehow Breaking Bad just got bumped down the dvr priority list.

Posted by: JHARTMAN | Jul 27, 2012 11:53:33 AM

3. It looks like a great show. Too bad the internet has ruined my attention span for watching shows like this.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 27, 2012 11:55:36 AM

4. I like the show, and do watch it despite the throw-away, boring character of the journalist, Susan Berg, and Ciarán Hinds' cartoonish portrayal of Bud.

The show will have an uphill battle because the obvious parallels to Hillary and Bill Clinton requires such a disconnect from too current events that I think will prove too trying for too many people.

Sigourney Weaver is the big draw here.

Posted by: Ricco | Jul 27, 2012 11:56:07 AM

5. I'm already a little tired of the idea that the Secretary of State can solve any problem by dating the ambassador/congressman/lobbyist/former president involved. But otherwise, it fills that gaping void left when President Bartlet left office so many years ago.

Posted by: RhymesWithClergy | Jul 27, 2012 12:01:46 PM

6. Amazing post! Thanks a lot.

Posted by: dissertation | Jul 27, 2012 12:05:01 PM

7. Really wanted to like the show but the pilot was awful - weak, bordering on amateur, writing.

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Jul 27, 2012 12:16:24 PM

8. love the show and the cast is amazing, a power house. It has the potential to being a the best show on television or the computer but sadly the network is only doing a mini-series. fingers crossed the renew or give it a full season!!!!! Weaver, Burstyn and Hinds will certainly take home a Emmy and Golden Globe this year maybe even a SAG. Stan's character has potential he just needs better writing.

Posted by: turlie | Jul 27, 2012 12:18:09 PM

9. I like the show, but it is a guilty pleasure for me. The ex-president character is a horrible caricature. And Sigourney Weaver is both too hot for him but not nearly not enough for all the ambassadors to be lusting after her or grabbing her ass.

And don't get me started on that journalist. No newspaper story would read like her voiceover in the last episode.

Ellyn Burstyn is my everything, though.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 27, 2012 12:48:40 PM

10. I'm enjoying the show. The writing isn't great, but the performances make up for it. I'd call it a guilty pleasure more than I would call it great television.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 27, 2012 12:51:17 PM

11. I love the show but agree that the Bud character is annoying. I'm also sometimes annoyed by the suicidal, addict, alcoholic, unemployed, sex freak former First Son shown here. Yes we've all known guys like that, but still. The straight son is her assistant (nepotism like that wouldn't be accepted), while the gay one is a tragedy.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 27, 2012 12:56:00 PM

12. I think it's fun so far. Ellen Burstyn is great fun. Bud is ridiculous. I am horrified by the gay character, yet glad that we've come far enough that a character who is gay can be good or bad or in between and doesn't have to be a caricature.

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 27, 2012 12:57:44 PM

13. Watching it, enjoying it (more or less), but view it as the equivalent of a summer "beach read." Also, I'm a little bit annoyed that Berlanti made the trite choice to make the gay son a troubled, promiscuous, profligate addict. A more interesting choice would have been to have the gay son be the powerful and integral part of the Sec. of State's team and have the straight son be the one with all the problems (problems larger than a bulimic fiance).

Posted by: MiloTock | Jul 27, 2012 12:58:30 PM

14. "boring character of the journalist, Susan Berg, and Ciarán Hinds' cartoonish portrayal of Bud"

I like these two characters a lot more than I like TJ and the soon to be daughter and law, who seem to be necessary plot points, instead of independent three dimensional characters.

I might also suffer from internet induced ADD, because I can only watch the show on HULU. It's not the type of show that I can continue to watch, when the segments are broken up by a lot of commercials.

Posted by: cadence | Jul 27, 2012 1:15:15 PM

15. I wouldn't count on the show continuing. The critics love it, but the ratings are bad. It draws in around 2 million viewers, which would be okay, but only gets a .5 rating in the demographic that advertisers love. That's why USA has made a point of saying that it is just a miniseries.

Posted by: cadence | Jul 27, 2012 1:20:18 PM

16. I LOVE the show. And I love the troubled gay son. It makes him a hell of a lot more interesting and a lot more places to take his character.

Posted by: Frank | Jul 27, 2012 1:24:05 PM

17. I'm watching and enjoying it, especially Sebastian Stan. He makes great eye candy and beyond his physical beauty, he is a very talented actor, facial expressions, body language, he's very believable to me. My problem is every time I see Ciarin Hinds, I think of him as President Nemerov from "Sum of All Fears". Just shows as an actor he has a broad range. Even as a cheating SOB, he's likable, a lot like Bill Clinton on whom I'm sure his character is based.

I'm entertained by it. I don't think it's realistic and of course there are some parallels between the show's characters and some of our real life pols, but it's just a TV show. While it's no "West Wing", it is fun to watch and the dialogue is clever. I hope it becomes more than a mini-series, but if not I'll no doubt watch it til the end. After all, there's still Sebastian Stan in various states of undress!

Posted by: Bob R | Jul 27, 2012 1:25:18 PM

18. While the writing and the acting isn't the best, I have enjoyed it as a summer replacement. I think the gay son has to be troubled, what would you do with him if he was on the ball and running his mothers office? Just my opinion. The show would be better without Bud, his character is that of a bafoon (sp?).

Posted by: BSmart2 | Jul 27, 2012 1:33:56 PM

19. The premise and the acting talent is certainly promising, but the writing doesn't seem to match up. I really want to like the show, but it plays out like one of those "Lifetime Movies for Women" parodies where the main character suffers so much, but is still able to solve nearly everything.

I'm also a little bit torn about the gay son being portrayed as another self-destructive caricature, but at least there's a reason behind it and not just because he's gay. He's the son of a very prominent political figure who was forced to come out against his will. I imagine that kind of stress could drive anyone to suicide, drugs, etc.

I'm giving it one more episode to see if it gets better, but I'm afraid the ensemble can only do so much with what little they have.

Posted by: Shibby | Jul 27, 2012 2:04:11 PM

20. I'm kinda liking it, but just as others have mentioned, the Bud (Bill C.) character is too over-the-top for my tastes, and I find the gay son being such a hot mess a little trite, too.

No worries, though - this is not Shakespeare, or even The West Wing by any stretch. It's a taudry pleasure, and I'm enjoying it. But I wouldn't be watching if Sigourney Weaver weren't headlining.

Oh, and it does seem a little amateurish - but go back and check the first season of ANY series you came to admire. If this goes beyond the miniseries limit, it may become more polished and of better quality all around.

Posted by: Zlick | Jul 27, 2012 2:09:02 PM

21. I like the first two episodes so far.

I've been catching up to the show on CTV's streaming service, however, and that totally sucks. If I see that damned caching circle one more time, I may throw the TV out the window. It's crap like this that makes people find other means of watching.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 27, 2012 2:46:00 PM

22. It was so horribly written and acted (esp. the Bill Clinton character) that we had to turn it off after the first 20 minutes. Srsly among the worst TV I've ever seen. Sigourney Weaver must be dying inside to have to work with that actor and to have to say those lines.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jul 27, 2012 3:13:06 PM

23. Love it! It's my new ''favorite show'.
    I'm continually surprised, scene by scene, how enjoyable it is.

Ciaran hinds is usually good, but the director apparently has asked him to go 'big' here. He's waaaay too much.
    Otherwise nearly perfect.

Posted by: Dw | Jul 27, 2012 3:25:37 PM

24. It may not be the best writing and Bud is horribly cast, but I am thoroughly enjoying the show.

Loving James Wolk, too.

Posted by: MattS | Jul 27, 2012 4:52:56 PM

25. Nick Mathews looks so sexy in this!

Posted by: Aaron | Jul 27, 2012 5:02:48 PM