Immigration | Iraq | Religion | The Netherlands

The Netherlands Halts Deportation Of Illegal LGBT Iraqi Immigrants

Welkom

It's too bad this is news, and not standard policy everywhere: The Dutch government, recognizing that to be an out gay person in Iraq is to abide in mortal danger, has elected to grant blanket asylum to all illegal LGBT Iraqi immigrants.

From Radio Netherlands Worldwide:

Koen van Dijk of the Dutch gay rights organisation COC described the announcement as an important victory for Iraqis who had fled the country because of their sexual orientation. According to van Dijk, Iraq is the most dangerous country in the world for gay people: “Research has shown that 750 people have been murdered for this reason since 2003. There are systematic campaigns. Organised militias publicly declare that they’re hunting down people who exhibit ‘deviant’ behaviour and should be killed according to Islamic law.”

LGBT Iraqis will have to somehow "prove" that they're L, G, B, or T to remain in the Netherlands, which van Djik frankly admits will be a tricky business. Other countries have royally screwed up attempts to make similar determinations. The Dutch being the Dutch, it's reasonable to hope they will endeavor to err on the side of mercy and sanity.

Comments

1. God Bless the Dutch for doing the right thing.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 15, 2012 12:17:14 PM

2. At first I had the same response of, How does one prove to be LGB? (T is easier.) But I doubt that many Iraqis are going to leave their home and families, move to a foreign country, and pretend to be LGBT unless they are. I mean, it's a great move, but I rather doubt that all but high-end professionals are going to get lucrative jobs, housing, etc.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 15, 2012 12:27:07 PM

3. Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
    Send these, the homeless,
    Tempest-tossed to me
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Yet again another country shows how America is a wind bag, knows the perfect thing to say . . . just not how to do it, that in the practice of compassion, mercy, and true democracy many nations, outside these shores, lead the way, with America lagging light years behind.

Posted by: Ricco | Jul 15, 2012 12:33:42 PM

4. Unlike the British Govt which is throwing asylum seekers back with the comment: "you'll be alright...just don't act or speak LGBT"

Posted by: chuck | Jul 15, 2012 2:31:29 PM

5. true democracy many nations, outside these shores, lead the way, with America lagging light years behind.

Posted by: Destiny Speer | Jul 16, 2012 2:47:06 AM

6. Another example of what I told my American friends many times over:

"America is great at talking loudly about freedom and how great it is, meanwhile in the Netherlands we quietly go about actually implementing it."

Posted by: Snownova | Jul 16, 2012 3:58:38 AM