Crime | Mississippi | News

Mississippi Gay Couple Fears for Their Lives After Vandalism Hate Crime Attacks: VIDEO

MscoupleMike Halterman, the editor of Out on the Town magazine, tips us off to this story about Dustin Tasso and Matt James, a Toomsuba, Mississippi couple who have been targeted in a series of attacks culminating in windows of their car being broken and the word "fags" being spray-painted on the street in front of their house.

WTOK reports:

Someone came to our home, busted our window out of the back of my car," says Tasso, "our home was broken into, profanity was spray painted on the front of our driveway, and you know it's just a scary feeling for us."

"We just felt like there needed to be something done," says James "because it's not just us this stuff happens everyday, and I mean it's not noticed or recognized and there's got to be some kind of justice."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few seconds to load...

Comments

1. Professing to be against PDA (gay or straight) is one of the most obvious signs of a self-loathing closet case. It prevents one from ever having to deal with their own internal homophobia.

And LOL at the person who thinks Rick has a boyfriend. No one is that desperate.

Posted by: endo | Jul 18, 2012 4:59:58 PM

2. Rick may just be the biggest troll on the internet. I'm astonished reading his comments to this story. He HAS to be medicated, right?

Posted by: USC trojans Fan | Jul 18, 2012 5:05:56 PM

3. Rick.... Buy a gun, and use it on yourself please.
    That's all

Posted by: Lane | Jul 18, 2012 5:07:04 PM

4. Huh?

We as gays pay taxes, loads an loads of taxes stripped from our pay checks, and it goes back to this country. We shouldn't be able to hold our partners hand in public? Fuuuuuuu*kkkkkkk that!
    I don't need to live in shame for who I naturally am

Posted by: DanTheMan | Jul 18, 2012 5:10:03 PM

5. The killing thing not cool!!

What's with this blue box???

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jul 18, 2012 5:11:39 PM

6. I wish that we could all agree on the IGNORE Rick thing.

@What: So you really think that someone in Portland or SF or even Memphis is likely to have their homes broken into and spray painted, as well as the outside? Of course there are bigots everywhere, and no you don't run. But you get a whole lot more support from your police and community if something happens. These incidents are far more common in small towns.

And if it comes down to a matter of my personal safety and quality of life, I'd eat ramen noodles for a year to save money so that I could move somewhere better, where there are likely more employment opportunities and supportive social outlets.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 18, 2012 5:12:33 PM

7. Rick actually perfectly illustrates how hate for fem men,and mysoginy goes hand in hand with rabid homophobia. He may be th single most homophobic person I've encountered and it's no coincidence he's also a basher of fem gays. They two are connected. Every gay man you meet like him who bash fem gays will do the same toward gays in general. Their disdain comes from the fact that gays are identifiable. They believe we should all be passable. They usually come with a mixed bag of issues themselves. Been around the block and met a few "Rick's" to know first hand. I'd avoid his kind like the plague

Posted by: JoysRide | Jul 18, 2012 5:14:45 PM

8. Rick actually perfectly illustrates how hate for fem men,and mysoginy goes hand in hand with rabid homophobia. He may be th single most homophobic person I've encountered and it's no coincidence he's also a basher of fem gays. They two are connected. Every gay man you meet like him who bash fem gays will do the same toward gays in general. Their disdain comes from the fact that gays are identifiable. They believe we should all be passable. They usually come with a mixed bag of issues themselves. Been around the block and met a few "Rick's" to know first hand. I'd avoid his kind like the plague

Posted by: JoysRide | Jul 18, 2012 5:14:48 PM

9. @DAN: those taxes should also ensure that these incidents are acted upon thoroughly and swiftly by the authorities. We shouldn't have to put our homes up for sale, find a new job and leave our families and friends and be run out of town, sorry I mean "move" as some have suggested.

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 18, 2012 5:15:13 PM

10. That stupid Rick impersonator just jealous because I cock more cock than him.

I've guzzled so much jizz, anytime I sneeze, every woman in a 10 mile radius gets pregnant.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 18, 2012 5:16:04 PM

11. Why do you all respond to Rick and other trolls?

Have you read Rick's commentary in the past about women? Muslims? Black people? Jews? And effimine gays and butch lesbians? They are the words of a psycopath serial killer. Genuine serial killer syndrome written all over his writing.

How ANY healthy minded individual could dignify a response to a monster like Rick truly boggles my mind. Ask yourself who is it you're taking time to respond to before wasting precious moments of your life to respond

Posted by: Javier Mendoza | Jul 18, 2012 5:18:27 PM

12. PaulR You seem to think that by moving this magical utopia is going to make everything better! These things can happen anywhere, small, medium and large sized towns and cities. Bigotry is not limited to rural America.

It's not as simple as just packing up a U-Haul and eating Ramen noodles!

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 18, 2012 5:28:01 PM

13. To anyone who suggests gay people not show any affection, even mild and romantic to their companion so not to make heterosexuals uncomfortable..... How do you live in your own skin with such shame? How exhausting it must be for you to wake up every day and censor yourself and tailor your innate natural humanistic emotions and alter them to appease some bigots. How lonesome your partner must feel to be in a relationship that is consumed by shame. Straight people never leave their homes thinking "we better keep our relationship on the down low for others" that any gay person would think that, then commit themselves to that is my idea of self destructive opression. Why even live at that point? You're just floating in this planet souless with no self respect.

Posted by: Kyle Ohten | Jul 18, 2012 5:33:45 PM

14. What?

I do absolutely agree that the taxes we pay, as another poster pointed out, should ensure us the same safety and protection under the law as heterosexuals get granted. Your points are well made, unfortunately as I'm sure you know, in parts of the country, law enforcement is so indifferent toward gays because of their issue with gays that they are hardly the voice of reason to turn to.

Here's an idea I propose and I hope people hear me out, and someone with the resources gets wind of this post an can perhaps create a similar campaign. How about a coalition/non profit or organization spear head with the sole purpose of helping gay families who are in this circumstance of being harrassed in their environment and homes by locals. Helping them with a plan of action, lawyers, emotionally, getting them in touch with local LGBT groups and even helping them with funding (which is the main source of problem for gay people in these dire situations) there's sooo many of these cases being reported against gay couples and familie across the country, that I truly think an organization devoted to them should be created. It could be extremely effective with great pull

Posted by: Kyle Ohten | Jul 18, 2012 5:40:03 PM

15. @PaulR: this story just posted:

Louisville, Kentucky Teen Girl Brutally Beaten by Group of Adult Men for Being Gay.

A city of 750,000.

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 18, 2012 6:17:13 PM

16. Actually 1.3 million people if you include the entire metro area.

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 18, 2012 6:24:20 PM

17. Would this adorable couple please make themselves known online with a donation set-up so that we could buy them a home security and surveillance system?

The local authorities are likely to be snickering. It's up to us to help them.

Posted by: Rascal | Jul 18, 2012 6:25:51 PM

18. Don't feed the trolls, people.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jul 18, 2012 7:10:48 PM

19. Did anyone else notice the way the anchor man introduced them as a "homosexual" couple and not a "gay" couple? I may be paranoid but it was very telling how he played to his audience with the usage of that term. They also lead the newscast with that story to make it more sensational.
    But I admire these two for their courage, but if I were them I'd buy a BIG gun and learn how to use it.

Posted by: Iwontgrowup | Jul 18, 2012 7:43:30 PM

20. LGBT people need to form their own security and police force to protect our people from antigay Christians terrorist who can be anywhere, even in the police departments.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 18, 2012 7:49:15 PM

21. Christians are officially declaring war against us and we need to be each others allies. Our gay organizations need to be more active and foreceful. They are too weak!!! We need to have each others back. Stories like this are becoming common place as homophobes become more vocal

Posted by: Advocate Align | Jul 18, 2012 8:18:20 PM

22. AMBER: In case you are still reading these posts - and why would you, considering the bile up-chucking they induce - thank you for your comment. Spot on.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 18, 2012 11:32:32 PM

23. KYLE OHTEN: Sounds like the model for DV intervention. I like it! And why not? Stand and and fight has its merits. So does live to fight another day. Having lived (and escaped) from a neighborhood that was less than welcoming, it helped having the bucks to do so. And the game plan.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 19, 2012 12:42:15 AM

24. Toomsuba is a rural suburb of Meridian, MS. There are a quarter million people around Meridian. It is a very dull place. I wouldn't want to live there. That said: I grew up in a small town in Alabama (near the MS border about 80 or so miles from this town, actually). I never felt threatened. A number of GLBT folks live there & I was basically related to half the town.

Posted by: Jackson | Jul 19, 2012 1:24:44 AM

25. personal injury lawyer will examine numerous factors including the amount of pain you suffered or are still are experiencing.

Posted by: Uk claims | Jul 19, 2012 9:07:01 AM