Comments

1. adam says

Nice job. I always appreciate when people make an effort. Straght or gay they support Homoclimbtastic so we should support them. It is funny to see straight people playing gay (even if it is a bit over-the-top. What was with the dog leashes?)

2. Chris F says

The LGBT skiing and snowboarding club, Ski Bums, gets a warm welcome in all sorts of tiny mountain towns across the USA. Jackson Hole (Wyoming), Killington (Vermont), Park City (Utah) and Mammoth Lakes (California) are just a few examples. Towns which are devoted to outdoor sports really pride themselves on being warm and welcoming to a diverse crowd; that’s certainly been my experience. This is excellent.

3. Rick says

I wish more gay guys were into serious backpacking. In all my years on the backcountry trails, my gaydar has detected nothing in my encounters with other serious outdoors types. Well, one park ranger in Alberta, but that is about it.

Even the Sundance club in New York, which is supposed to be all about the outdoors, does mainly ski trips and day hikes–and socials–and I found it disappointing.

I have trekked all the world’s major mountain ranges, so if any of the rest of you have, as well, I would like to hear about it. Ditto for rock climbers or ice climbers or kayakers–even though I don’t do those things, I think they are cool and sexy, but the only guys I know who do them are straight.

4. says

It’s surprising, but shouldn’t be, considering West Virginia exists because it supported the oppressed, choosing not to side with the rest of Virginia in seceding over slavery.

5. says

I love this. This company will totally get my business. This truly was awesome to see people be so inclusive! Thats what this world needs more of. Go west Virginia. Used to live there for many years and there can be many cool non judgmental peeps found there

6. andrew says

Good stuff! Friendly people. I kinda like the guy in the green tards. He is a shower and I’m a size “king”. Just imagine if he is also a grower. I’m headin to W VA!!!

7. parkrunner says

@Rick. I met my BF 25 years ago desert camping in the Chisos Mountains. Every year we celebrate by camping for 1-2 weeks in primitive areas. We’re into kayaking, canoeing, mountaineering and have even x-country ski camped. We’ve trekked in North and South America, Europe and China. We’ve always met gay and gay friendly campers. My guess is being an obvious long term older gay couple we are noticed, even in the wild. I’m not saying to wait until you’re an old fart like us, but maybe you shouldn’t approach guys and say you’re gay and into serious backpacking.

8. says

As a Gay resident of West Virginia, I was gratified to see no comments so far around “redneck” and “hillbillies.” Stereotypes aside, West Virginia does have a very active and vocal LGBT community, and last June’s LGBT Pride Parade here in little ol’ Charleston drew over 1,000 participants. As for Fayetteville, it is considered one of the trendiest little towns in this state, with great places to eat and shop, especially if you like shopping for antiques. It is also the place to go if you’re into whitewater rafting or rock climbing.