American Family Association | Bryan Fischer | Gay Parents | News

'American Family Association' Mouthpiece Bryan Fischer Endorses Kidnapping of Children from Gay Parents

Fischer

In two tweets last night, AFA radio host Bryan Fischer suggested that children of gay parents should be kidnapped for their own protection.

Zack Ford at Think Progress has more:

In one tweet  he was referring to the sad story of Lisa Miller, who, after declaring herself ex-gay, kidnapped her daughter away to Central America to prevent her former partner from having any custody. (She is still being tracked by federal agents as a fugitive of the law.)

In the other tweet, Fischer referred to the testimony of a individual named Robert Oscar Lopez, who blames all of his social problems on being raised by his mom and her lesbian partner.

Ford adds: "And yet, Bryan Fischer believes it to be the perfect example of why the children of same-sex parents should be kidnapped away for their protection — that they are the equivalent of slaves who need to be rescued. This is incredibly dangerous rhetoric that has the potential to do great harm. How much destruction could self-declared “Harriet Tubmans” do to same-sex families, motivated by Fischer’s claims? More than ever, the “culture war” is a direct attack on the lives of LGBT and their families."

Adds HRC: "LGBT families are not a new phenomenon. There are over 650,000 same-sex couples raising nearly 250,000 childen, according to the 2010 U.S. Census data. Fischer’s call for kidnapping children from same-sex partners is not only offensive, but a harmful mischaracterization of families that struggle daily to provide loving and safe home environments despite significant legal, financial and dignitary inequality."

Comments

1. Wow. Just wow. America has been overtaken by crazy people !

Obama should win this election easily - the right wing extremism has gone into overdrive.

America should be ashamed of this incredibly stupid and dangerous behavior !

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 8, 2012 4:52:31 PM

2. Please, please, please, please, please - don't get me wrong... I wouldn't wish such a thing on a child...

But it would be a gift from God if they actually DID this...

It's a crime, the police would investigate, Amber Alerts would go out.

Reporters would converge. Crying children screaming for their parents... Yeah, it would be quite the PR boon.

And the trial... Well, all I can say is they couldn't possibly be so stupid as to actually MEAN what they say.

Which is to say, the whole thing is just a stunt to rally their pathetic base of bigots. Never gonna happen.

Posted by: NVTodd | Aug 8, 2012 4:57:54 PM

3. @NVTODD: Of course Fischer is full of stunts, but this actually did happen in the Miller-Jenkins case. Religious zealots aided an "ex-gay" woman in kidnapping the child from her other legal parent. If the woman had not been "ex-gay" they could easily have aided in the kidnapping of the child from both parents.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 8, 2012 5:06:06 PM

4. I frankly think that all children should be taken from ultra-orthodox religious families as they brainwash children into being mass murderers and hate group adherents. Run, little Fischers, your daddy's a sociopath, who will probably have hillbilly sex with you.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Aug 8, 2012 5:29:04 PM

5. Bryan Fischer is a true monster. He's about as Christian as the Ayatollah Khoumeni.

Posted by: Abel | Aug 8, 2012 5:51:43 PM

6. Mr Fischer's comment crosses the line and it is unlikely that ANY sort of half-hearted apology will contain anything approaching sincerity. LGBT families should be marching down for carry concealed permits by the thousands to protect against "Christian" zealots who might take Mr Fischer's words to heart.

We are responsible for our own defense and the defense of our families. When possible, local law enforcement can aid in that protection, but the burden is ultimately an individual one.

Objective evidence CLEARLY shows that there is a minuscule, infinitesimal element within the conservative religionist community who would subscribe to such cognitive dissonance of kidnapping a child to "save" them from evil and could carry out Mr Fischer's "stream of consciousness" wish in real time. Following the sad events of Wisconsin, Aurora, and countless others, how long before we as a community say ENOUGH ?

Ugh. Why can't we all just get along ? ;-)

Posted by: Jim in Colo Spgs | Aug 8, 2012 6:07:05 PM

7. I wonder why he didn't mention Zach Wahls in the tweet?

Posted by: andrew | Aug 8, 2012 6:18:07 PM

8. The key words with most anti-gay groups are “tax exempt”. If all the money made by groups like this were TAXED, they would fine a real job. I just do not think gay life is that big a deal for most people? Most of us have a hard time worrying about our own life. For anti-gay groups it is all about the money. But if you DO spend every day of your life worrying about “the gays”, you may just want to talk to someone.

Posted by: cb | Aug 8, 2012 6:28:16 PM

9. The key words with most anti-gay groups are “tax exempt”. If all the money made by groups like this were TAXED, they would fine a real job. I just do not think gay life is that big a deal for most people? Most of us have a hard time worrying about our own life. For anti-gay groups it is all about the money. But if you DO spend every day of your life worrying about “the gays”, you may just want to talk to someone.

Posted by: cb | Aug 8, 2012 6:34:25 PM

10. This is over the top, even for a sick bastard like Fischer. This is why AFA is a SPLC-designated hate group. Nothing like giving them more evidence to keep them on the list. "Family values" of sick, demented wackos.

SPLC is doing great work, and is highlighted on here every so often. I just re-upped my membership, check them out:

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Aug 8, 2012 7:04:56 PM

11. Kidnapping is a crime and the America Family Association are criminals who openly say they will kidnap children, proof that the AFA is a criminal group.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 8, 2012 7:07:53 PM

12. @OS2guy Well I don't know about the US laws but am pretty sure you can pull him into court on tortuous claims like the ones of public nuisance fueling violence, mental harassment and as per US laws go in this regard I think you all would agree that the US courts are rally good at granting relief on basis of equity.

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 8, 2012 7:39:00 PM

13. @Andrew,

I went to the web site that you gave out, but I found that I was unable to sign the letter. Should I be using a different browser?

Posted by: Robert K. | Aug 8, 2012 8:18:57 PM

14. Just when you think these Teahadists couldn't get any derpier, they manage to prove me wrong. This guy seriously needs to be treated for senility or insanity, perhaps both.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Aug 8, 2012 8:21:18 PM

15. Kenneth Miller is on trial in Burlington for exactly this crime.

Posted by: KevinVT | Aug 8, 2012 8:32:20 PM

16. at least this would be one way to get rid of him--it would be traumatizing to the child or children involved, but it would protect thousands in the future

Posted by: cfox | Aug 8, 2012 9:54:07 PM

17. I'm gay. I was married to a woman and we had two wonderful sons. She died in a car accident and there was a chance that I was going to sue the driver and my wife's physician. Potentially I could have gotten a large amount of money. I was truly afraid that, if I did get the money, my older sister was going to try to get custody of my sons and the money, claiming that I was an unfit parent because I'm gay. This was in 1987. There was a fair possibility that this could happen. I never sued and never got any money but I was really worried for a while. There still needs to be stronger protection for gay parents. If the fundies get their way, they could try to get all kids, natural or adopted, away from gay parents.

Posted by: BillyDee4 | Aug 8, 2012 11:27:19 PM

18. Take the kids away from same sex couples and give them to the Catholic Church or send them to Penn State.

Posted by: Runningusa | Aug 9, 2012 1:33:18 AM

19. He is a bomb thrower who says these outrageous things to boost his ratings and increase the speaking fees from his ditto heads.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 9, 2012 3:02:49 AM

20. Nothings stopping anyone from starting a tax exempt organization.

It's just that we've wasted a great deal of effort and resources focusing on and organizing around HIV/AIDS tax exempt organizations.

You want some justice, organize and create an identity that doesn't revolve around being victims and patients.

Posted by: NVTodd | Aug 9, 2012 7:29:34 AM

21. "Obama should win this election easily - the right wing extremism has gone into overdrive"

I wish I could be as optimistic as you. Fischer routinely goes over the line -- almost every day he rails against LGBT folk and their evil allies, the liberals. All LGBT folk and their allies MUST vote for Obama this November. Unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath:( Please don't underestimate the numbers of the Religious Right and their ability to turn out for elections.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Aug 9, 2012 10:23:47 AM

22. Bryan Fischer is openly advocating that people violate federal law.

This is an outrage. This is not "free speech". This is not a "deeply-held religious belief".

This is an open call to anarchy and commission of violence against LGBT people, especially same-sex couples with children.

Bryan Fischer needs to have his pie-hole shut and the forum he advocates law-breaking shut down. Permanently.

Where is the goddam FBI in all of this? Or the Justice Dept.?

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 9, 2012 12:25:02 PM

23. I think the best thing that could happen to Bryan Fischer is to F*CKING DIE! I don't care how it happens: suicide, plane crash, lightning, car crash, poison, murder, whatever. Bury him upside down 12 feet down and piss on his grave.

Posted by: JD | Aug 9, 2012 2:41:54 PM

24. @shle896shle well now u do know one... Although I'm the only one of four.... Anyways... I feel bad for the person who ever dreams of kidnapping one of my children.... We both are packing and won't hesitate to put two bullet holes in your head.... Just saying.... And all six (yes six) of our kids are happy healthy loving children....

Posted by: MsDani2u | Aug 14, 2012 1:01:56 PM