Anti-Gay Activist Who Lit Cheerios Ablaze on General Mills Lawn Dies

Leisner

Michael Leisner, the man who lit General Mills' lawn on fire in a bungled protest of the company's stance supporting marriage equality, died on Saturday, the Star Tribune reports:

Leisner posted video of his act online, with it showing him scrambling to stomp out the flames before he hurriedly instructs his off-camera friends to get in the car. The video made its way onto cable television's "The Daily Show" and "Chelsea Lately."

Leisner died Saturday while waiting in his car for his sons to finish playing tennis, said Dwight Denyes, senior pastor at Emmanuel Christian Center in Spring Lake Park.

Denyes said that while he didn't know Leisner well, he added that what the nation has seen in the video "doesn't accurately reflect who he was as an individual. He was a very loving and caring father of his four children, a loving husband and he seemed to get along with other people."

Comments

1. says

what an odd and unhappy end.

that said, i’m always puzzled by statements like “”doesn’t accurately reflect who he was as an individual. He was a very loving and caring father of his four children, a loving husband and he seemed to get along with other people.””……uh….ok.

and many a racist old biddy was “very loving” to people that didn’t offend her prejudices. “i know she was a racist, but she was wonderful to her straight white christian family members..”

puzzling.

2. ratbastard says

The man was probably completely stressed out, high blood pressure, the whole 9 yards. I guess he’s finding out now if there really is an afterlife and a God who gives an F about us. We’ll all join him in due course.

3. says

?… doesn’t accurately reflect who he was as an individual…”

Obviously his little anti-gay tirade does reflect who he was as an individual and shows the world what a real bigot he was. Sorry the guy died but what comes around goes around and perhaps this should be a lesson to all those bigots out there, especially the religious zealots for them “God works in mysterious ways…”

4. Bill says

Joe Paterno. Remember he died a few months after the Sandusky scandal broke.

I didn’t watch this person’s videos but I did see pictures of him and I said to myself how unhealthy he looked.

5. Otkon says

During the autopsy, they should check for tiny puncture wounds. I suspect this was the doing of the General’s Wetworks division. Retaliation in the form of either a chocolate vampire attack or a Honey Nut bee sting – the most deadly of all.

6. Eddie Keator says

Really? He was a loving man? Sorry – there is nothing loving about bigotry. Wow, at which point am I suppose to care that the world is minus one less hater. Sorry, I left my compassion in my other pants pockets.

7. redball says

JACK M: funniest comment!

cause of death plz?

KIWI: yes! and…STOP THE PRESSES!…apparently crazy-*ss coot Hitler treated Eva Braun very well and probably his mother too. *eyeroll @Denyes*

8. redball says

i.e., what matters is how much compassion and dignity we extend to all beings, not just those who fall within our family or tribe or religion or race or nation or, or, or….

funny: you’d think a PASTOR would be teaching us things like that.

9. HM2 Matt says

Put my callus Troll hat on;

Is it possible that God is smiting those that stand in the way of equality for gays? First the Chief Spokesmen for Chick-fil-A now this ass-hat,why aren’t the Christianists connecting the dots?

10. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

Chick-fil-A chicken is covered in white flour, butter and POWDERED SUGAR(!) before being deep fried. Not a great health choice, in addition to the unnecessary stress that leading a hateful life brings on. Bigots like Michael Leisner are shortening their own life spans.

11. Luke says

Maybe there’s some sort of freaky gay vigilante out there who is killing anti-gay people. First the chick fil a public relations guy died, now this guy. Weird.

12. Ricco says

Great comment LITTLE KIWI, sensitive with just enough to challenge ones perspective without being disrespectful.

I did not bother reading past the net two comments.

Someday straight people are going to realize that, outside the variant sexual orientation, gay people are no different than straight people . . . as toxic, spiteful, mean spirited, petty, silly, and dogmatic . . . and quite a few other adjectives that would take pages and pages to list.

Peace Out.

13. G McGinnis says

If he were gay and taking the opposite stance there would be no end to the chorus of Christian voices proclaiming it Gods punishment. When it is one of their own bigots that dies all you can hear are crickets.

14. anon says

One notes the problem with Christian fundamentalism is the undecidability of God’s will in this issue. Was he being punished for going against the word of God, or was God calling him home for his heavenly reward? It could go either way, but there’s no way to know.

15. Paul R says

He and the CFA guy were older and didn’t realize how quickly their inane actions would subject them to endless scrutiny. I’m sure their phones were ringing off the hook, their homes were surrounded, and they had heart or other conditions. It’s a recipe for death.

16. says

stories like this should be a wake-up call to not just the bigots in society, but the FAMILIES and FRIENDS of bigots – family and friends shouldn’t let people die while still bigoted.

the man, alas, never got to redeem himself. he’ll forever be the wingnut who burned a cheerios box because he hates gay people.

think how you’ll want to be remembered. you can redeem yourself in life and make amends for the wrongs you’ve done.

or you can be jesse helms.

17. Jay says

So – it’s not wise to speak ill of the dead…

That said: Where are the Christian responses to this man’s death? 9/11 is caused by liberal, fag-lovin’ godlessness, Katrina is caused by liberal, fag-lovin’ godlessness… you name the natural disaster, you name a person who has died while supporting a vision of the world other than that of Pat Robertsons… The Christian Right proclaims loudly from the top of every building that this is their god’s punishment.

Has ANYBODY said that about this guy? Four weeks after he committed a destructive and violent act in the name of hate against an organization who refused to practice hate…he dies…suddenly…in a car…while sitting doing now. I mean, GREAT JEEBUS IN JUNE… I haven’t even seen a Christian say: “God loved his performance, called him home early.” Not a word! Seriously?

18. Rob robertss2009 says

I am almost giddy that this hateful bigot is no longer able to encourage others to hate me for who I am. And this just takes the cake, from The Smoking Gun:

In a Facebook tribute, one of Leisner’s nephews–a missionary in Costa Rica–wrote in Spanish that Leisner was as “bold as a lion of God,” though some would remember him as “a flaming Elijah.”  Unfortunately, an English translation on the Facebook page mangled part of the tribute. “Please pray for the family of Mike to feel the spirit of God as dildo in this time of a loss,” the Bing translation notes.

19. Rob robertss2009 says

20. says

I apologize for being such a media whore and always taking every article and using it to just promote myself, I’m just a shameless, needy little queen.

I also feel bad for everything I said about someone that now obviously was suffering from some sort of undiagnosed medical condition that killed him.

I’m pathetic and gross and I hate myself.

21. "The Gay" says

JOHN: But he was such a huge threat ! (ROFL) Who needs enemies when so many of us consistently over-react, and react predictably enough that our *real* enemies can play us so easily ?

22. says

like we’ll take his friend’s word for how loving the hate-meister was to his fellow hate-meisters. For all we know he was a drunken abusive bastard to his friends and family. So goes eulogies where people feel they have to tread softly on a dead man’s reputation.

23. ianis7m says

I knew Mike personally 20 years.I consider him a dear friend & he was part of our home fellowship 8 years(that still legal?)i see this as another shake my head moment w/him as he likes the shock vwlue of his demonstrations. Sad to see he’ll be remembered by this harmless goofball stun trying to get his message across. whats not seen is thedeacades Godly love this guy had towards those coming out of this ‘lifestyle’. Though I wont agree w/his methods he was passionate in his beliefs & not a’destructive violent hatemoger’ as some of you depict him. Going by some of the judgements here I would rather be in his shoes now before the throne than you!! rip brother & prayers & condolences to your family!!