Lisa Whelchel | News | Reality TV | Survivor

Devout Christian Lisa Whelchel (Blair from 'Facts of Life') is on the Next 'Survivor': VIDEO

Whelchel

Lisa Whelchel has been cast in the upcoming Survivor: Phillippines.

Will she clash with the lesbian from Arkansas?

Says Whelchel to Zap2It: "I would love to be able to show a different image of a Christian ... [Many people] think that -- and unfortunately it's well deserved -- Christians are about separating and dividing, and less about accepting and including. I would like viewers to see that with all this diversity in the tribe that I genuinely am interested in and care about people and who they are, where they are."

Watch the cast announcement video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. We'll see...

Posted by: KDNA | Aug 20, 2012 1:47:00 PM

2. Maybe a python will eat her. I hated her when I was a kid, and she still needs a punch in the mouth.

Posted by: Otkon | Aug 20, 2012 1:58:26 PM

3. I cannot understand how reasonably wealthy people can get such poor cosmetic surgery. I've had it three times, twice because of car accidents, and no one knows except my ex and my parents. You can't tell if it's done well.

But you look at her and it couldn't be more obvious. Her eyebrows are a tragedy.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 20, 2012 2:02:51 PM

4. Contemporary interpretations of Christianity are so flawed! Ugh, this makes me ill. Television destroys the soul.

Posted by: Jacob | Aug 20, 2012 2:07:36 PM

5. I hope that Lisa is able to show the image of Christianity that we often never see. It will be hard work, for sure, but will hopefully cause others that share her vision of Christianity to speak up against those that are so hateful.

Posted by: Jeremy | Aug 20, 2012 2:23:07 PM

6. You know, maybe she'll actually show the good side of Christianity. Every group is capable of bad and hypocritical behavior--from Christians to Jews to atheists, from gay to straight to bi, and everything in between. Hopefully we can wait to pass judgment on her.

Posted by: Stefan | Aug 20, 2012 2:39:46 PM

7. YES!! Cannot wait! Love me some Blair. I think she'll be okay. She's a huge homeschooling advocate more than anything. I just hope she doesn't go first because of the age nonsense. Only thing I am pist about is the returning players thing. STOP IT!

Interestingly, 3 of the 4 girls from "Facts of Life" are bible thumpers now, the other two being Kim Fields and Nancy McKeon. Mindy Cohn seems to be a big liberal hippie. She's in a lot of independent gay movies.

Posted by: AJ | Aug 20, 2012 2:46:07 PM

8. Look at her St. Louis Arch eyebrows! Holy cow she has had terrible plastic surgery!

Posted by: Dale | Aug 20, 2012 3:20:55 PM

9. @AJ: For real? I never took Kim (Tootie) and Nancy (Jo) as the Bible Thumper type. Especially since Jo was obviously a lesbian...

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Aug 20, 2012 3:55:21 PM

10. I wonder where in the Philippines they filmed this season. It's probably not anywhere that's rife with religious separatist violence, even though those are often the nice "pristine" wilderness.
    It's interesting that she's trying to put the "accepting and including" version of Christianity on Survivor. She must not want to win~ Also, the dominant Roman Catholicism in the Philippines is pretty divisive on its own.

Posted by: DK | Aug 20, 2012 4:16:50 PM

11. I would just keep my eye on Peter and the baseball player ( Blair has not aged well)

Posted by: jaragon | Aug 20, 2012 6:18:15 PM

12. People got upset when Lisa Welchel said that she put hot sauce on her kids' tongues when they lied, but I can't get over her saying that she made her kids ask for permission before they could go to the bathroom, and that sometimes she would tell them no, just so they would know that she's in charge. That's not parenting, it's abuse. It's also a way to make sure that her kids will have trust issues.

Posted by: cadence | Aug 20, 2012 6:37:08 PM

13. Who gives a s*it? Really.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 20, 2012 9:27:28 PM

14. I think Blair and Jeff had the same nip and tuck.

Posted by: parkrunner | Aug 20, 2012 11:17:43 PM

15. It should also be noted that the other celebrity in the cast, former major league baseball player Jeff Kent, is known to be extremely anti gay and was a major contributor to the Prop 8 campaign.

Posted by: Ken | Aug 21, 2012 1:20:10 AM

16. For all those commenting on her suppossed plastic surgery, I think it justs looks like she had it in this particular pic of her. Maybe the photographer just caught her off guard talking or something. I just saw another of her that I think was taken after this one, and she doesnt look like she had it at all in that one.

But, if she did, please dont be so hard on her. Aging (and doing so visibly) is very hard for everyone, but especially women. It is even more difficult to go from being a very beautiful woman to someone who is no longer beautiful. I understand b/c it happened to me. I was a late blooomer, but really blossomed around age 19. All thru my 20's, I was flirted with daily, asked out 3 or 4 times a week, and told several times a day by men and women that I was beautiful. It was wonderful. But, then when I was 29, I had a baby and still had 30 lbs to lose afterwards. Then, 3 months later I was d/xed with Lupus and the steroids pacdked on the lbs! Now I am 40 and about 50 lbs overweight. Now random men only flirt with me about twice a year, I am never told I am beautiful anymore, and no one has asked me out in 10 years. (I have been married for 13 years, but can't wear my rings b/c my fingers swell. So, strangers dont know I am married.)

I cant tell you how much it hurts to go from one extreme to the other! I am going to keep on doing my best to get this weight off of me, but dont hold out much hope. But I do hope that after reading my comment, maybe you guys wont be so hard on her or other formerly beautiful women.

Thanks,
    Amy

Posted by: Amy | Aug 21, 2012 6:44:40 AM

17. @Amy
    True beauty comes from the inside.
    Believe in yourself, love yourself.
    People will see that in you and they will wish to be like you.

Posted by: 1♥ | Aug 21, 2012 7:57:55 AM