I'm Gay | News | Rugby | Sports | Thomas 'Bozzy' Bosworth

18-Year-Old Welsh Rugby Player Describes Coming Out to Mom, Team in Emotional Video: WATCH

Rugbyplayer

Thomas “Bozzy” Bosworth, an 18-year-old rugby player from Wales, came out of the closet earlier this month to his mother, and his team. He also explained why he did so an emotional Facebook post and a follow-up YouTube video, Outsports reports.

As the captain of his rugby team in Quaker Yards, Wales, Bosworth was trying to reconcile being a macho jock with being gay and finally decided to tell the world who is he.

In the video, Bosworth talks about coming out to his mom and team, and the reaction to his Facebook post.

Watch the emotional and inspiring video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bosworth's Facebook post read, in part:

To clear all the gossip up and shit that has been going around about me. Yes I am gay and I never choose this and it’s the hardest thing Iv ever had to deal with in my life. It’s the hardest thing to come to terms with when you don’t want it but you can never get rid of the feeling . I know it may come as a very big shock to people. I had planned to slowly tell people but as rumours have come out I had to tell my family and the thoughts and feeling you have are the hardest and most guilty and disappointed feelings I have ever had.

So if you have any questions or a problem please mail me or delete me if you don’t like it. I am sorry but it is the real me. I would really like to thank my close friends and especially my rugby team as I honestly thought I would be to ashamed to ever carry on playing rugby. But the boys have showed and proved to me that my thought of them were wrong and I’m so grateful they are the best bunch of players and true friends that i could ask for.

I’m am honoured to have the friends I have from school and rugby and truly can’t believe how supportive they are. This is the hardest thing I have faced but it has to be faced as rumour do spread. I just felt like this was the easiest was for people to know the truth and not have to explain to everyone separately. If anyone is going through the same thing never ever be afraid to contact me I know how hard it is and I will never ever share what you tell me.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Good for you, but it is not hard being a straight acting gay.

Posted by: GUEST | Aug 27, 2012 4:44:49 PM

2. NEVER be sorry kid - there's nothing you did wrong.

Posted by: John | Aug 27, 2012 6:40:36 PM

3. I knew I was gay when I was six, back in the days (1966) when homosexuality didn't officially exist yet. I'm lucky because I never felt that "I wish this wasn't happening to me" feeling because I got to love men, that's a win-win in my book. My attitude was "Why are the breeders such assholes?".

Posted by: Henry Holland | Aug 27, 2012 7:15:05 PM

4. To come out at 18 is amazing !

To come out in a homophobic country like Wales AND be 18 is incredible.

This is a very brave and smart guy. I wish him the best !

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 27, 2012 8:23:04 PM

5. I use the term 'straight acting' with relish because of the amount of gays who get annoyed. My sexuality is (and should be) defined by who i find attractive, not by the music i listen to, the clothes i wear, what i drink, the way I speak, the language I use, or the venues I go to. Gay as defined by the gay community doesn't represent my sexuality. It represents some stereotype which we have been battling against for a long time. Straight acting is the opposite of gay acting, which is what we must be if we don't fit the stereotype that has been created around 'gay'. If you don't like the word then give us a new one that is widely understood, or allow the word gay to refer just to same sex attraction and nothing else (which means you'll have to come up with another word to define everything else that has been lumped in with gay)

When I came out 18 years ago there were only stereotypical gays out there, which i didn't identify with at all. I couldn't balance finding men attractive, but not having a limp wrist or mincing. I had no interest in fashion, no desire to be a woman. This lack of role models hampered my coming out by at least 2 years. In the UK in the past 18 years (and Wales is part of the UK) significant legal changes have occurred which have made being gay far easier, but there are still an alarming lack of role models out there that challenge the stereotype.

Generally when straight people hear the word gay, they don't think of liking someone of the same sex, they see the stereotype (which as a community we have done little to challenge) and everything that goes with it - lack of masculinity, not liking (or even being able to play) competitive sports, only drinking wine, cocktails, or alcopops, only liking cheesey dance music, wearing trendy clothes, make up, etc. It is also difficult to not fulfil the stereotype in the gay community. I have been refused entry to gay clubs, and often get asked 'you do know what type of pub this is Sir ?' by the door staff (or 'i'm sorry, we're closed for a private function' - me: damn, i thought it was the gay night tonight)

Before you play the internalised homophobia card i'm completely out to everyone - family, work colleagues (in two different jobs) and in my local community, facebook, twitter. I've even worked in one of the biggest gay clubs in Europe. I'm 5'11, built like a rugby player :D, drink pints, have cropped hair, am preferably unshaven, and take great delight in confusing people by having bright pink as my first colour choice (started out because some neanderthal assumed that i wouldn't want a pink Flip camera and made a comment to go with it - so I went with the pink one out of total rebellion).

Posted by: Moose G | Aug 27, 2012 8:50:16 PM

6. @Moose, what's wrong with "masculine"? It's all semantics so I don't really give a ____, but it's the "acting" part of straight-acting that sounds off to me. Are you acting or is it your true nature?

As for Bozzy, the way he talks about being gay sounds a little like being diagnosed with cancer, but he's 18 years old so he'll get over that. In fact that may make his video easier for some people to connect with instead of a rah-rah gay pride message they're not ready for. "I was really bothered by it, it scared me, but then I came out and found things weren't as bad as I'd imagined. It did get better."

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 27, 2012 10:18:28 PM

7. @Bozzy

I'm happy for you.

Posted by: Rich | Aug 28, 2012 12:19:41 AM

8. Someday nobody'll give a crap, and the tedious and boorish debate over adopting a particular affectation as your entire identity will seem as absurd as walking around in blackface.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Aug 28, 2012 12:46:00 AM

9. Straight-acting scares the daylights out of so many of you.

Chuckle.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 28, 2012 1:34:18 AM

10. I wasn't going to chime in with my two cents until I read uffda's comment "Straight-acting scares the daylights out of so many of you. Chuckle."
    It reminded me of the many quisling's who commented about the Chick-fil-A story with "It's about free speech!" No it is not and no (to uffda) it does not. What many of us truly believe is that a self respecting man who is gay would NEVER label himself that way, disassociating himself with being gay. He describes himself as "masculine" or "butch" or "the boy next door" or perhaps "just me". If there is any fear going around I believe it is those "straight-acting" guys who are terrified that society will lump them in the same group as those queens/fems/nellies that they are so disgusted by or, dare I say it...afraid of?
    Gay/straight/or whatever is most likely determined by genetics. The masculinity-femininity curve has more to do with hormonal surges during gestation - over which we have NO control especially ex post facto. In other words, I was born this way.
    Way back when I was newly out to the world - when dinosaurs roamed the earth - we unfortunately divided ourselves into two distinct categories Butch or Queen. What everybody should be aware of is that we are a rainbow of variations from uber-masculine men to uber-feminine men, no longer is there an "either - or" selection. Personally, I think of myself as a butch-queen...and if you find yourself saying "huh?" rent the movie "Paris Is Burning"
    To me uffda, "straight-acting" means you are pretending to be something you are not in order to be accepted by those who think
    gay = feminine = bad. Just be yourself, show your world that gay = uffda = good. Be an ambassador who no longer pretends to be straight. The world needs you and men like you to stand up, stand out and be heard. Queens have been in the vanguard ALWAYS...from before Stonewall up to today. While "straight-acting" men cowered in the shadows WE took the hits, the insults, the spit. WE have died for you while "straight-acting" men hid from view. You can let the world know who YOU are *without* distancing yourself from any other type of man.
    Putting down queens does not build yourself UP, it just makes you sad.

Posted by: Paul K | Aug 28, 2012 8:05:36 AM

11. Um, nice try Paul with some good points. To me "straight acting" is a fair indicator of stylistic preference - gay without "mannerisms", and there's nothing the matter with preferences. There's nothing the matter with "mannerisms" either if that's what you like. However the term infuriates the angry types who can't bring it off or who seek attention by affected effeminancy. They've got problems and are, indeed, sad.

Then there are the real, all but annointed, queens...like, let's say, the irridescent Rufus Wainwright as seen in his interview with the media last week. I thoroughy enjoyed so genuine a being. He wasn't my type but I could see how authentic he was and easily recognize how appealing he clearly is to his new husband Jorn, and many others no doubt. He was wonderful in his thoughtfulness...and mannerisms...hoplessly affected and hopelessly affecting. I loved and admired him.

But it all turns into a hall of mirrors very quickly, sometimes hard to tell the difference between the cheesy fake fems addicted to bad form from the calmer beauty of a deeply feminine man.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 28, 2012 9:21:32 AM

12. and yet, the falsely-boastful "Straight-Acting Gays" can never, ever, put a face to their comments.

such a big confident straight-acting gay men, are ya?

prove it. URL. youtube or blogspot. let's see ya.

ten bucks says ya can't. why? simple: to label yourself as "Straight-Acting" gives away that you're one more insecure gay boy who boasts anonymously online to make up for all you cant' do in the real world.

wanna prove me wrong? then actually prove me wrong.

provide the URL so you can show us all who and what you are.

;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 28, 2012 10:44:41 AM

13. So... Instead of celebrating Bozzy's brave Coming Out (at the age of 18, no less!!) we're arguing over 'straight-acting' vs. 'masculine'? Really? Good God people!

If a Gay man uses 'straight-acting', I take that to mean 'masculine'. I don't have a problem with a Gay man describing himself in either terms, and I don't understand why anyone would... but that's just me. If Bozzy wants to use 'straight-acting' - then fine, let him! Do you really think he needs a bunch of Gay men tut-tutting him about his word choice, right now?

Posted by: Oz in OK | Aug 28, 2012 12:01:45 PM

14. Oh KIWI, still as wrongheaded as ever. Elegant curtsey...

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 28, 2012 12:09:19 PM

15. of course your don't understand it, OZ in OK - you're another of the anonymous-internet-handle-Gays.

its not about word-choice. it's about the mindset that leads one to adopt such a stupid choice. "Straight-Acting" means "i'm scared of what straight people will think about me being gay"

and nothing more.

as most have said, it's often expected in Newbies. in grown adults, however, it's just plain fu**ing pathetic.

and like i've said, the gays that defend the use can never put a face to their comments.

why? because they're exactly what i've said - insecure and terrified about how they're seen as gay men.

the defenders of the term are always closeted anonymous-internet dwellers.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 28, 2012 12:10:47 PM

16. well done Tom, your the man aka gay man. loved the interview you made keep your chin up, from another gay man in lisburn. love to meet up for a drink with you if in NI

Posted by: JOHN BROWN | Nov 9, 2012 3:54:00 AM

17. well done Tom, your the man aka gay man. loved the interview you made keep your chin up, from another gay man in lisburn. love to meet up for a drink with you if in NI

Posted by: JOHN BROWN | Nov 9, 2012 3:54:03 AM