I'm Gay | Mika | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

British Pop Star Mika: 'Yeah, I'm Gay. This is My Real Life'

Mika

British pop star Mika, who told a Dutch magazine in 2009 that he was bisexual after months of refusing to address his sexuality, indicates to Instinct magazine that his understanding of his sexuality has become more finely tuned:

Earlier this week, in a world exclusive, Mika sat down with Instinct to set the record straight (so to speak): “If you ask me am I gay, I say yeah. Are these songs about my relationship with a man? I say yeah. And it’s only through my music that I’ve found the strength to come to terms with my sexuality beyond the context of just my lyrics. This is my real life.”

Said Mika in 2009:

"I've never ever labeled myself. But having said that; I've never limited my life, I've never limited who I sleep with. So, whatever. (…) Call me whatever you want. Call me bisexual, if you need a term for me...There are ways of being a role model without having to always having to establish yourself with a label. Let's say if you're a 16-year-old guy, and you're not sure about your sexuality, you should be as free as you want...Having a role model who makes you feel like it's alright to do whatever you want, without the pressure of a label, I think that's a good thing as well. I think there's a million different ways to do it, there isn't only one. And I hope I'm right."

Mika released an EP, Mind Games, on August 1.

His track "Celebrate", featuring Pharrell, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The gay community needs to stop forcing an identity crisis on men. It's bad for male sexuality.

Keep in mind that men exist on a sexuality spectrum and a sensuality spectrum. Forcing them to the extremes of the spectrum for the purpose of cheap political point-scoring is ultimately destructive. It might satisfy the egos of Gay Inc but it won't help in the understanding of the complexity of male sexuality beyond the silly gay/straight dichotomy.

Posted by: jason | Aug 6, 2012 9:18:17 AM

2. I am also bisexual; like men and boys.

Posted by: Monrob | Aug 6, 2012 9:27:21 AM

3. I actually partially agree with what Jason is saying but it's not the gay community doing that, by and large. It's straight society. Straights who think in generalities. If you like c**k you're gay automatically. But it is true, that black and white way of thinking in regards to human sexuality is unhealthy.

Congrats to Mika on coming out fully!

Posted by: Francis | Aug 6, 2012 9:28:06 AM

4. I actually partially agree with what Jason is saying but it's not the gay community doing that, by and large. It's straight society. Straights who think in generalities. If you like c**k you're gay automatically. But it is true, that black and white way of thinking in regards to human sexuality is unhealthy.

Congrats to Mika on coming out fully!

Posted by: Francis | Aug 6, 2012 9:28:07 AM

5. This is the usual trajectory, after all.

Does anyone start out identifying as gay in their 20s and then suddenly announce they're bi at 30?

Sexuality can be flexible in late adolescence (which these days may go to 30), but you eventually realize what you're really attracted to.

That said, no one should discount the pervasive influence of homophobia that STILL stigmatizes coming out as gay. I think many of the people who identify as bi or "no label" or "post-gay" are really just influenced by homophobia. Yet they claim all sorts of other things that make them sound more evolved. Nope. Just afraid. (I'm not denying that some people are really bi or are bi at some point in their development. I just don't think there are nearly as many as claim that identity. Mika, like many, isn't really bi: he's admitted as much himself.)

Posted by: KevinVT | Aug 6, 2012 10:14:21 AM

6. Yawn....

Posted by: Keppler | Aug 6, 2012 10:15:05 AM

7. yay!

and his "we are golden" might be one of the most glorious anthems for young queers, ever.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 6, 2012 10:16:06 AM

8. Stick to the agenda and talking points everybody! Gotta keep 'em radicalized and on the plantation.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 6, 2012 10:34:19 AM

9. I am happy as long as he is happy and I question whether this is a full coming out as much as it is a statement of fact as it stands today. I see no reason for a young person who is enjoying sex with men and women and generally dealing with all the emotional, physical, and experiential parts of sexuality to "declare" an orientation one minute sooner than they are full comfortable doing so. There are so many layers and it is unfair to those involved. I am bi (like 50/50 bi, which is rare) and have a history of happy romantic and sexual relationships with both genders for more than 15 years. But I would really like to get married one day (I am the monagamous, long-term type and always have been) and have kids. If I marry a woman, was I straight all along, but confused? Of course not. If I marry a man, were my female exes just way stations to my accepting I am gay? Absolutely not. Even my masturbatory fantasies are fairly evenly split over the course of a year (though they may lean one way for a few weeks at a time). Some people, however, are taking graduated steps to a full coming out, others (like Anne Heche) believe it while they're in it, but rush to embrace a label that doesn't ultimately fit them. My only other bi ex was married happily for years until his wife died, and while he's dated two men, he has mostly dated women since. Many people have different experiences of their sexuality at different points in their lives. It is unfair to demand one label and then side-eye any revisions or evolution as years go by.

Posted by: llm | Aug 6, 2012 10:55:48 AM

10. Uh, Jason, what planet did you say you came from, hon?

Sexuality is different from one's innate humanity.

Yeah, I suppose some guys can sleep with gals and some guys can sleep with guys, even if they might usually sleep with gals. And vice versa.

Like me. Yet, what I am, what I feel to the core of my heart and soul is queer (or gay or whatever).

That's the problem with your very silly "analysis". You can only see SEX but you cannot see beyond SEX and get into the HUMANITY, the innate essence of what a human being IS, what a queer human being IS.

Believe me, kid. It never was and never will be about SEX. It will always be about my humanity, the essence of my being.

There's a difference. You figure it out although I doubt you ever will.

As for the gratuitous almost slanderous "gay inc" remark? I'd say you've got a LOT of growing up to do.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 6, 2012 11:12:47 AM

11. It's the gay community/closet cases that causes this damage not the straights.....gays shouldn't blame the straights because they don't really care about these issues anyways...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Aug 6, 2012 11:14:02 AM

12. Besides..did you really need crayons and children's building blocks to spell it out for you that Mika was gay?.....seriously...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Aug 6, 2012 11:14:55 AM

13. Awesome. Good for you. Takes courage in your position, given the concerns about public perception.

Posted by: Sean McQuillan | Aug 6, 2012 11:52:46 AM

14. *sigh* Gotta love when has-been singers come out when their careers are over and they have nothing to lose.

Posted by: Too late now | Aug 6, 2012 1:13:19 PM

15. @KevinVT: I completely agree with you, except for the part where you say you think there are not nearly as many bisexuals as claim that identity.
    I think that if we ever succeed in seeing the eradication of anti-gay prejudice during our lifetime, we will find that there are far more bisexuals than most people ever suspected.
    I suspect that, at present, most people who call themselves bisexual (like this guy did) are actually gay and most people who ARE bisexual call themselves "straight."
    I know that when I told friends I was gay, several presumed-straight friends confided in me that they are actually bisexual but would find it too challenging to be open about that fact in a homophobic world.
    For true bisexuals, the socially-easy route is to just pick a partner of the opposite sex and let the world be kind to their family.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 6, 2012 1:14:19 PM

16. @KevinVT: I completely agree with you, except for the part where you say you think there are not nearly as many bisexuals as claim that identity.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 6, 2012 1:14:21 PM

17. What is with the ever-present bi-haters? GregV is right on! Anybody who has ever struggled with their sexuality (as almost every gay has) is nothing but a hypocrite when they turn around and presume to "know" what is in someone else's soul. Stop judging, its so Republican.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 6, 2012 1:25:17 PM

18. Lord, was he the last to know!? lol

Girl please, we ALL knew this already!

With that being said, I don't think anyone should be forced out of the closet but it's kind of embarrassing when an obviously gay man says he's not gay.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 6, 2012 2:11:57 PM

19. I hate people who dont like to be labelled, they come across as such pretentious assholes. Labelling is language, without it we would be a lower animal. Get over yourself, you have a label because a label is a description, no one is beyond description.

People who dont want to be labelled are just ashamed or tightened of what their label is.

Posted by: Rovex | Aug 6, 2012 2:36:06 PM

20. I have no problem with bi-sexuals, ive had enough not to be bothered by them. However I wouldn't be in a relationship with one if I could avoid it.

Posted by: Rovex | Aug 6, 2012 2:38:00 PM

21. As w/ the Ocean declaration, this timing is suspect. Would we be paying as much attention to the artist without the new 'talking points'. New release coming soon ,no doubt.

Posted by: starquisha | Aug 6, 2012 2:58:02 PM

22. @ KEVINVT: I would say it's a little more complicated. I, for instance, definitely felt (and acted) bisexual in high school. Was it due to pressure? Maybe, but it didn't and doesn't feel that way. By the middle of college, though, definitely gay. I find some women hot, but I'm not interested in doing anything about it and love my husband.

That said, I think a lot of women go the other way: in their mid-life they become bisexual (separate from coming out). Just as with men, they don't control their sexuality, but it tends to be more fluid and once child-bearing is less important, the straight ones can be more flexible.

Posted by: David R. | Aug 6, 2012 3:23:17 PM

23. So glad. I liked him when he first came out, but he was so obviously gay that when he denied it and tried to sort of negotiate down his persona, it was a serious insult.

I don't mean that to imply that bisexual men don't exist. They do, and there are a lot of them out there. Mika was just obviously never one of them.

Posted by: JD | Aug 6, 2012 3:53:35 PM

24. Bisexuals like men and women. Even the antigay Christian know this, they troll here to make LGBT people look like they are saying bad things, bet we know it is the antigay Christian trolls. Shame on you antigay Christians for bearing false witness, you know that will send you to hell.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 6, 2012 4:36:08 PM

25. I'm not biphobic. I used to identify as bi when I was married to a woman. And I agree that there are a lot more bi people out there identifying as straight -- but that's another issue altogether, equally caused by homophobia.

Posted by: KevinVt | Aug 6, 2012 5:10:37 PM