Chick-fil-A | News | Vandalism

Chick-fil-A Vandal Speaks Out: 'I am a Proud Christian'

Hate_chickfila

Manny Castro, the L.A.-based artist who claimed responsibility for the graffiti spray-painted on the side of a Torrance, California Chick-fil-A last week, has not been arrested for what he did despite his coming forward, and offers a statement to the Huffington Post about why he did it:

My statement painted on the side of the Chik-Fil-A in Torrance was not born out of hate. It was born out of frustration. It was meant to further a discussion about tolerance and acceptance. My Facebook wall was simply not large enough to do this. Contrary to popular belief, I am a proud Christian and I wholly subscribe to the verse: “Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.”

I didn’t use violence. I used paint. Artists for centuries have expressed their opinions through this medium and I am no different. The word "FAG" spray painted on anything has never garnered the media attention that my cow with a paintbrush did. And that’s unfortunate.

Castro says he'll gladly pay for the cost of repainting the wall but won't sit at the back of the bus.

Comments

1. Repaint for your sins!

Posted by: castaway | Aug 8, 2012 3:01:27 PM

2. If companies are people and people vote with dollars then the destination of the restaurant’s donations are open for public debate. It very well should be an issue as to where peoples’ hard-earned money goes after the chicken goes down their gullet. This issue has made our little feathered friend the modern martyr as Chick-fil-A laughs all the way to the bank. Watch the poultry be nailed to the cross and pierced by the spear of destiny at the hands of those devious cows on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2012/08/holy-rollin-poultry-on-cross-chick-fil.html

Posted by: Brandt Hardin | Aug 8, 2012 3:16:36 PM

3. Vandalism is vandalism. Pure and simple. If some one paints. It was not his property. Why has he not been fined?
    The building is owned by a franchisee, did he make an anti gay comment? Then why should he have to pay to have his building restored?
    If it were a reverse situation, there would be a lot of wailing and the gnashing of teeth.....

If you do not like it, do not eat there.

Posted by: HA! | Aug 8, 2012 4:00:47 PM

4. Our very own Banksy! :)

Posted by: calcifer | Aug 8, 2012 5:38:04 PM

5. Actions like Manny's help make the Cathy family more sympathetic figures. His vandalism is an un-American attack on freedom of speech.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 8, 2012 5:50:02 PM

6. Personally I think graffiti is not only an art but one of the most ancient forms of expression through are that exist. Graffiti in Ellis Island for instance is now protected behind glass panels. By calling it vandalism you just add to the powerful meaning that the art intended by helping to make it into something large than it is. Graffiti is a bold alternative to violence and I applaud this artist.

Posted by: Opinionated | Aug 8, 2012 7:21:38 PM

7. I applaud the artist.

Well done, & it seems to be having the desired affect.

The people that would be critical of having to repaint a wall, would never seriously support my equality in the first place.

It's paint, people. It's paint.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Aug 8, 2012 11:49:56 PM

8. @Andrew: Just that 'coz you know this painting is also a form of speech though being in the shroud of vandalism is not protected

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 9, 2012 12:49:06 AM

9. @Opinionated: Graffiti is ugly. It is vandalism. When you see graffiti in neighborhoods it tells all that the neighborhood is in decline. That crime and drugs abound. You can spin it any way you want but it is one of those things that lowers the quality of life in neighborhoods where it exists.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 9, 2012 2:27:54 AM

10. @Pete: Would you be so understanding if some other moron painted homophobic slurs on your property?

Posted by: andrew | Aug 9, 2012 3:39:23 AM

11. I see both sides. I see the hate that started it all, uttered by Mr. Cathy. I know it's free speech, but so is yelling "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater. He may have an opinion, but if it incites violence, then it isn't free, now, is it? I understand the paint, but again, it is vandalism. Yes, it is just as wrong to paint derogatory comments about gays, as it is about this company. But that doesn't make it right. This is private property, and as much as I don't want someone to spray-paint "fag" on my house, I don't want anyone else painting something on a stupid business owner's building. It just isn't right, and two wrongs still do not make a right, even with fuzzy math. :)

Posted by: millerbeach | Aug 9, 2012 5:27:53 AM

12. That is beautiful work of art, enjoy it when you see a work of art such as this and support the artist for they truly make our world a beautiful place to live.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 9, 2012 11:14:11 AM

13. He has no right going around defacing somebody's property. That is against the law!

Posted by: Diana | Aug 10, 2012 9:34:01 AM