2012 Olympics | Jon Stewart | News

'Daily Show' Examines Henrik Rummel Crotch Controversy: VIDEO

Rummel

American rower Henrik Rummel became more famous for his shorts than the bronze medal he and his team won in London this week.

AFTER THE JUMP, Jon Stewart and Al Madrigal from The Daily Show discuss the hard facts about this anatomical mystery.

Comments

1. Every guy knows the joys of getting an erection at the worst possible time.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 9, 2012 11:06:41 AM

2. This was very funny . . . though they avoided the obvious (its not erect - its just huge).

Posted by: Alan | Aug 9, 2012 11:10:55 AM

3. It isn't huge. Gawker made an awfully detailed analysis of this, even scaling it with the medal's size. It's an average size, nothing to be shamed about.

Posted by: Syrax | Aug 9, 2012 11:30:10 AM

4. The Olympic Committee should give Henrik the gold!

Posted by: Peter | Aug 9, 2012 11:35:42 AM

5. Ridiculous. A handsome man has a big tool in his pants. So what? Let's enjoy the beauty of a male body.

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 9, 2012 11:38:33 AM

6. Love it.

Posted by: PurpleMango | Aug 9, 2012 11:39:25 AM

7. If that's not hard I'm not looking at it. Sweet.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 9, 2012 1:01:11 PM

8. Well, there is a way to settle this...

Posted by: Steve | Aug 9, 2012 1:18:52 PM

9. Dude, you just won a freakin' OLYMPIC bronze medal. Pop wood. Be proud.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Aug 9, 2012 1:41:22 PM

10. I wish everyone would ignore this. He spent his entire life working towards winning a gold medal at the Olympics. Instead of feeling that this is the proudest moment of his life, he now has to be embarrassed about it.

Pity.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Aug 9, 2012 2:20:27 PM

11. It was a bronze, not a gold. That makes it okay to have a little fun. :-)

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Aug 9, 2012 3:10:58 PM

12. This was a very funny bit. If that penis isn't erect, the gods were way to generous to Henrik Rummel and I am green with envy and also filled with admiration.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 9, 2012 5:36:57 PM

13. I could excuse a 12-year-old girl for freezing the picture, studying the crotches and thinking that if she detects a shape pointing up toward a man's belly that it's an erection. I mean, she may have memorized a simplified definition for the unit test (such as "pointing upward and rigid") and didn't understand exactly what it means.
    But anyone who owns a penis should know that if he lies down naked on his bed three times, his penis will likely point in three different directions and "up" does not equal "erect."
    It should also be obvious that when the penis is held in by clinging shorts or pants, it will be held in whatever position it has landed in, perhaps until the next time you bend over to pick up a water bottle or lay down an oar; then it might jostle into another position and stay there for awhile.

I think even if an athlete DID have an unexpected erection, it shouldn't be news anymore than other natural processes like erect nipples or armpit sweat or goosebumps.

I'm glad he seems to take this in stride, but I'd be embarrassed to have my body analyzed in the press that my grandma would read.

I hope he at least gets a lucrative offer from Playgirl after all the curiosity he's aroused.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 9, 2012 5:41:43 PM

14. @Gregv: Who gets embarrassed because everyone is saying that you have a big cock? Everybody likes a big cock.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 9, 2012 6:04:47 PM

15. Umm, anyone with any intimate familiarity with penises can see that that this is an erection. Notice the tightening of the balls; the pointiness of the tip; and most importantly, the fact that the penis is actually trying to escape the fabric. Flaccid penises and the balls attached are floppy things. There is nothing floppy about Henrik's penis. This, my friends, is a boner.

Posted by: Miguel R | Aug 9, 2012 6:43:36 PM

16. Xcuse me... weren't Olympic Games during Greek days performed in the nude? Seems we've something to gain by tight fitting gear if we can't get the whole picture.

Posted by: craiggi | Aug 9, 2012 9:15:58 PM

17. Leftmost guy is the same height and weight class as Rummel and sports the most appropriate reaction to a bronze medal: flaccid. As in fla-la-la-la-lac-cid. That or he's really just a normal weener and Rummel is plenty happy to see people cheering bronze medal weeners, I mean winners.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Aug 9, 2012 11:39:36 PM

18. When I was Rummel's age, snug shorts would sometimes cause me to have an erection at inconvenient moments. It's about friction and being young. It is--at worst--a mildly embarrassing but humorous situation. (Well, less humorous for him, more for us.) I certainly don't think it is anything for him to be called out or ridiculed over. So he had a stiffy at the wrong moment. So what? Happens to most guys sooner or later.

Posted by: MajorTom | Aug 10, 2012 1:55:37 AM

19. Couldn't he just be a well-hung man that has a huge, fat flaccid cock that's being held "up and to the left" by his tight shorts? Contrary to popular belief, white men aren't all hung like a Christmas tree light, and black men aren't the only men that are hung like a horse.

Posted by: Garst | Aug 11, 2012 3:55:50 PM

20. It is not embarrassment that shall slay me. It is BOREDOM at the persistent vulgar public and its need for crotch rot gossip about NUTHING.....et awl.

Posted by: Lewis Fuque' | Jan 13, 2013 8:53:51 PM