Boy Scouts | News

Dedicated Tumblr Features Over 70 Letters from Eagle Scouts Returning Badges to the Anti-Gay Boy Scouts

Scout

More than 70 letters from Eagle Scouts are featured on this Tumblr dedicated to the return of badges over the Boy Scouts of America's anti-gay policies.

If you are an Eagle Scout turning in your badge, you can submit yours as well.

Comments

1. he eagle badge, the highest achievement of the scouting program, and one that signifies well on one's curriculum vitae in adult. it confers rank in the military and status in selection for colleges and/or advancement in career pursuits.

the action of renouncing this honor is one that is both emotionally painful and simultaneously exemplifies the values instilled by the scouting world wide. the BSA is one of only a few, that has applies such strictures, barring glbt and atheist participation resulting in the rejection or expulsion of them, a fact now becoming widely known, AND a source of some discomfort and embarrassment at local levels.

reading the resignation letters sent is an affirming experience in a world that provide few such occasions.

Posted by: bandanajack | Aug 3, 2012 9:45:42 AM

2. Lies, lies, lies I tell you! I have it straight from the BSA that a "few" have returned their badges.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 3, 2012 10:08:54 AM

3. How about a list of people who over the years have given up their Eagle Scout badges over LGBT issues? I seem to remember that Steven Spielberg was one of them some years ago.

@Michael - What else did you expect them to say?

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Aug 3, 2012 10:50:30 AM

4. "My brothers seems to struggle with the simplest of moral concepts - that love is a good thing."

Well said, Mr Arnold.

Posted by: Glenn I | Aug 3, 2012 11:43:57 AM

5. it is to be hoped that those who have gone before, and there were many, can be identified and counted in the tally. i know of several eagle scouts who came out or came out as supporters who were disfranchised as they knew they would be. how about councils that said they would not follow that path only to find out that if they did not make a public statement saying they would adhere to the doctrine as outline, their charters to be a scout troop would be pulled and their council disbanded, oh yeah, and paid employees would be fired. every single one of them folded. a few troop leaders resigned in protest, but they might as well have been pissing into the ocean. they weren't even heard.

Posted by: bandanajack | Aug 3, 2012 1:08:04 PM

6. As an Eagle Scout myself, I'm torn between returning my Eagle badge and palm, and keeping it. On the one hand, the BSA's turn toward "the dark side" of religion (ever since their move to TX from NJ) is apparent. On the other side, I firmly believe that the skills that a young man learns in scouting can be of value in his day-to-day life. I know it has for me. Everything from knot tying to conservation (long before the term "green") to life saving, and leadership have all been and continue to be useful skills.
    Perhaps having a way to show the world how many GAY Eagle scouts there really are would be a more positive, productive way of expressing how we've made a difference.

Posted by: NoCaDrummer | Aug 3, 2012 1:50:44 PM

7. I echo the comments of NoCaDrummer in that I have learned so much and have had many of the values that make up my character instilled by my time as a Boy Scout. I have found it difficult enough that I am now excluded base upon my sexual orientation. Sending back my Eagle will not teach young men the values needed to work together and become leaders in their community.

Posted by: Andrew Koch | Aug 5, 2012 12:19:54 AM