2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Minnesota | News

BigGayDeal.com

Freedom To Marry Debuts 'Grandparents' TV Ad In Minnesota: VIDEO

MNGrandparentsd

With election day rapidly approaching, the national group Freedom To Marry today debuted its first television ad.

Called "Grandparents" and airing in Minnesota, where voters will decide on an amendment banning marriage equality come November, the 30-second spot features a Duluth couple called Yvonne and Fred Peterson.

Peterson, a veteran who says he's fought for "the basic freedoms for all people," explains that the past 53-years with his wife are the happiest of his life and that gay and lesbian couples deserve the same joy.

While they weren't always so understanding — Yvonne admits she used to be against equality — they realize the world has changed and that society must too.

"The world is changing," says Fred. "Gay and lesbian people want to get married for the same reason that I wanted to marry my wife. Why shouldn't other people be able to enjoy the happiness and the love that we've enjoyed through our lifetime?"

Minnesota Public Radio notes that the couple have a gay grandson, though he is not mentioned in the commercial.  More from that report:

To John Aldrich, a political science professor at Duke University, it's noteworthy that the first advertisement features older, straight, grandparents from greater Minnesota.

"Ten years ago, you wouldn't have seen an ad like that. It may not have even been possible to find — except for professional actors acting professionally. You couldn't find people in the street to have played that kind of a role," Aldrich said.

He said reaching older, blue collar voters is what the VOTE NO campaign needs to tip toward majority support and defeat the amendment.

The ad will run for the next few weeks in the Twin Cities and Duluth. Watch it AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. "....features a Duluth couple called Yvonne and Fred Peterson."

I don't mean to be an English teacher, but how about:

"...features a Duluth couple NAMED Yvonne and Fred Peterson."

or even:

"features Duluth couple Yvonne and Fred Peterson."

One calls animals/things names while one names people.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 16, 2012 8:48:04 AM

2. Yet another can't show any gay people ad.

When will our side learn?

I won't be donating money to the MN battle is they're going to conduct another campaign from the closet.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Aug 16, 2012 10:20:39 AM

3. This commercial is exactly what's needed. Something tells me the pro-equality people in Minnesota have been advised by people who used to be against SSM and switched sides. Unless of course I were conceited enough to think they read Towleroad and were influenced by the advice I myself have been giving for many months now! But it's good to know that they're aiming for the elderly blue-collar demographic, as it is the group that most needs to change its views.

Posted by: Mary | Aug 16, 2012 1:54:48 PM

4. This commercial is exactly what's needed. Something tells me the pro-equality people in Minnesota have been advised by people who used to be against SSM and switched sides. Unless of course I were conceited enough to think they read Towleroad and were influenced by the advice I myself have been giving for many months now! But it's good to know that they're aiming for the elderly blue-collar demographic, as it is the group that most needs to change its views.

Posted by: Mary | Aug 16, 2012 1:54:48 PM

5. I'm SO tired of our brothers and sisters that think the only progress to be made is by focusing on our visibility, as though it's still 1978...

I welcome the focus changing from it all about us being hyper-visible, to our families accepting us, and showing THEIR faces, shrugging-off the shame that they have always been conned into.

It's time to grow-up, move-on, and let some of our supporters speak up.

In case some people haven't noticed, it's no longer all about people simply admitting that we exist. It's about our acceptance.

Real change happens when we all change.

Posted by: Buckie | Aug 16, 2012 2:51:21 PM

6. I remember the first gay pride parade where I was living at the time, and my grandmother being upset because I was going to it, instead of sitting around with her all day to mourn the unfortunately ill timed event of the death of her beloved miniature Schnauzer, Herkey.

I remember explaining to her that I had to go; that I had to be there, not just for me, but to help defend my friends that were going, and to go for all the friends I had that couldn't go, because they were gone.

I remember her sneering "Why can't the go, did they die of AIDS ?"

I remember saying "Yes".

And I'll never forget the bricks and rocks and bottles that were thrown at us.

So, yeah, when our families support us, it's OK to show them doing so; standing on their own, facing the rest of the world, and appealing to people just like them...

Posted by: "The Gay" | Aug 16, 2012 2:59:03 PM

7. Ben in Oakland -

Moron, this isn't even an ad from the campaign itself. It is an independent ad from FTM. Also, you are completely ignorant about how many ads have depicted gay and lesbian people. Many if not most of the ads in recent campaigns have depicted gays and lesbians. Often they are paired with siblings, parents or extended family. This is to allow the viewer to see the bridge from the gay person to the larger community.

The inclusion or absence of gay people is not what makes the ad effective. Effectiveness depends upon whether the ad is hooking into the priorities and values of the viewer. Whether this ad does it or not, I don't know. But just whining that the ad doesn't have some element that you personally would like to see is not an intelligent way to analyze these spots.

Posted by: Derrick | Aug 16, 2012 3:16:53 PM

8. @Mary: Freedom to Marry has been doing this kind of outreach and advertising for years. In VT, we had booths at all the county fairs back before CUs. We ran ads similar to this, we talked to all kinds of groups and people. You're quite correct that it is good to target the reasonable middle, of any demographic. It's just not new for any of us who have been working on marriage equality for well over a decade.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 16, 2012 7:53:01 PM