Crime | Jim Kolbe | Larry Craig

BigGayDeal.com

Larry Craig Sued For $217,000

070911_lcraig_simonPoor Larry Craig. The ex-senator, famous for his wide stance in airport bathrooms, is currently fending off demands from the Federal Elections Commission that he personally repay the $217,000 spent on his legal defense in the gross/funny/sad leadup to his resignation in 2007.

From the AP:

The FEC sued Craig in June in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., alleging he converted the campaign money to personal use by spending it on his legal defense after he was accused of soliciting sex in a Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport bathroom. The commission argues Craig's defense had no connection to his campaign for federal office.

The ex-senator begs to differ. He insists out that his trip to the airport was pure business -- was constitutionally mandated, in fact, because he was headed to D.C. to fulfill his senatorial duties -- and as such, any expenses incurred while using the airport's amenities ought to be reimbursed by the United States government. Craig and his lawyers claim the assertion has precedent. From the AP:

In documents supporting his bid to have the complaint dismissed, Craig cites the case of former U.S. Rep. Jim Kolbe of Arizona, who tapped campaign money in 2006 to defend himself after allegations of improper behavior emerged against him following a Grand Canyon rafting trip with two former male pages.

Comments

1. Is he seriously arguing that any crime he commits while "on-duty" as a US Senator is at the taxpayers' expense? So if I decide to punch Larry Craig's teeth down his throat while I'm on the clock as a sales clerk, I can send the bill for my criminal defense to the store I work for? Good to know!

Posted by: John Equality | Aug 4, 2012 2:21:22 PM

2. Actually, he never resigned; he just didn't run again. His Republican pals just let him slink away.

Posted by: DavidGroff | Aug 4, 2012 2:41:13 PM

3. Yes, he can hire a boy to lift his luggage when he travels to DC. That should also be included.

Posted by: simon | Aug 4, 2012 2:50:13 PM

4. Republican logic never ceases to astound me.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Aug 4, 2012 3:12:48 PM

5. It will probably cost more than $200K to prosecute the case.

Posted by: anon | Aug 4, 2012 4:21:13 PM

6. Were I he (thank god I'm not), I'd quietly pay the fine. He has the money. How long does he want to drag out the effects of his poor decisions?

Yes, it's a lot of money. But destroying your reputation based on a dubious and failed defense of public sex is probably not worth it.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 4, 2012 5:53:15 PM

7. MALE MEMBERS OF THE Federal Elections Commission NEED TO HAVE THEIR PETER AND NUTS REMOVED AND EATEN, THEIR HEADS CUT-OFF THEN, SHOT. PITIFUL BASTARDS. LEAVE Senator Larry Craig ALONE!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Aug 5, 2012 12:27:18 AM

8. Psychopathy, your name is Christopher Allen Horton.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 5, 2012 9:24:15 AM

9. I was more amused by the AP's context of Kolbe's "...former male pages". Just the idea of gender-transferred pages, a raft and the Grand Canyon makes my mind whirl.

Posted by: CHEVYTEXAS | Aug 5, 2012 10:46:33 PM

10. THANKS, "JOHNNY!" WHEN I AM PISSED-OFF, I GET EVIL (AND, EVEN)! I TAKE CARE OF MY MAN!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON