Gay Marriage | Log Cabin Republicans | News | Republican National Convention | Republican Party | Tampa

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Republicans, Young Conservatives Take Out Full Page Marriage Equality Ad in Tampa Tribune

Lcrad

Visitors to the Republican National Convention may catch a full page ad taken out by  Young Conservatives for the Freedom to Marry and Log Cabin Republicans on Wednesday if they're reading the Tampa Tribune, LCR reports:

The full-page color ad, featuring photos of same-sex couples and their families, emphasizes that the freedom to marry is fully consistent with principles valued by conservatives: freedom, personal responsibility, and the importance of family. The ad comes in the wake of the party's extreme stance on marriage in its draft platform, which includes support for a federal constitutional amendment banning the freedom to marry for same-sex couples.  Tony Perkins, the president of the anti-gay Family Research Council, authored the marriage plank, which is expected to be ratified at the convention.

"Gay or straight, Republicans are united in the belief that strong families are critical to a free society," said R. Clarke Cooper, Executive Director of the Log Cabin Republicans. "As fellow conservatives, Log Cabin Republicans actually agree with Tony Perkins about the importance of family values. The difference is, we believe that the freedom to marry is directly in line with the core ideals and principles of the Republican Party - less government, more individual freedom, personal responsibility and the importance of family."

Check the full ad out, AFTER THE JUMP...

LogCabin TampaTrib Ad

Comments

1. This ad is a waste of money, falling upon deaf ears.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 28, 2012 2:19:37 PM

2. It will fall on deaf ears...but nice touch using the Tony Perkins quote.

Posted by: ATLJason | Aug 28, 2012 2:30:39 PM

3. Yes, they will unfortunately be completly ignored by the GOP. Perhaps they should consider switching parties?

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 28, 2012 2:32:05 PM

4. Small government answerable to ALL is no longer a conservative principle of the GOP. It hasn't been one since Ronnie's ignorant butt was in the Presidency. Their idea of conservative small government is to let the wealthiest have their way with everything. Give up these hopeless crusades and wake up GOP supporters, your party cares nothing about the LGBT community or anyone making less than $250,000 for that matter.

Posted by: Opinionated | Aug 28, 2012 3:14:48 PM

5. Brilliant. Haven't I been saying it? Family values doesnt' have to belong only to the cultural Right. I'm glad I joined Log Cabin 3 months ago.

Posted by: Mary | Aug 28, 2012 3:21:05 PM

6. If they wanted this to resonate with republicans they should have made all the couples rich old white men.

Posted by: DJ | Aug 28, 2012 3:28:24 PM

7. Congrats Mary, I'm happy you're happy with your membership.

Posted by: Gast | Aug 28, 2012 3:34:51 PM

8. @Mary, I agree completely that family values don't belong to any ONE party but my party doesn't have to try and sell me on them and I think that is the problem. Same with religion, my politications don't have rant and rave that they are believers in god or sell me on that. If you have to "sell" it then something is wrong.

Posted by: Opinionated | Aug 28, 2012 3:43:40 PM

9. Mary, it's great that you are a member of that organization. Hopefully, that message above will resonate with the additional in your party at some point. Until then, I will continue to work with people who care.

Posted by: JJ | Aug 28, 2012 3:45:08 PM

10. The Republican Party of today is the scariest thing since the Communist Party. They believe in a "big brother" government that not only sticks its nose into your bedroom but actually owns the content of every woman's womb. They think that the government has precedence over a woman's right to decide what to do with her pregnancy even to the point of having precedence over her right to health and life. Life belongs to the state, not the woman giving birth! They are communists!

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Aug 28, 2012 3:47:59 PM

11. Oh, and Log Cabin, nice job. But wait until your parents find out how you've spent your allowances and trust fund checks. You'll have some 'splainin' to do! Good Luck to y'all.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Aug 28, 2012 3:51:04 PM

12. None of those people in the ad look anything like Log Cabin Republicans.

Posted by: endo | Aug 28, 2012 3:57:25 PM

13. I want to be cynical about this and ask why they don't just switch parties, but I think the likelihood of us having a clear democrat majority is unlikely for the near future. At least among the younger republicans marriage equality seems to be making some inroads as the logically conservative position it is. It'll be interesting to see if they retain that position and can push the teavangelicals to the marginalized fringe again, where they belong.

Posted by: Stefan | Aug 28, 2012 4:04:44 PM

14. I went to a private christian school growing up, and I remember when the school was putting together their promotional items, somehow the only three African American students at the school found themselves front and center in the promotional pictures. I'm not saying that the Log Cabin Republicans don't have ethnic minorities in their ranks, I'm just saying it's nice that they were able to get them all in the same advertisement.

Posted by: JT | Aug 28, 2012 4:04:51 PM

15. JT, a friend was joking that she was going to join the Republican party because it would be great way to get ahead. As a black woman she'd be front and center of every photo, moved up quickly through the ranks. A gay person? Well..... not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I see the ad as an advance and I'm glad they did it, but as things stand in the GOP they're whizzing into the wind.

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 28, 2012 4:40:19 PM

16. Why did they quote hate-group leader Perkins? I know he wrote the rnc plank, which is baffling and hugely offensive for that reason alone. But quoting Perkins is no less distasteful.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Aug 28, 2012 4:42:35 PM

17. @I could go on:

Keep on pretending that anyone who is not a liberal democrat must have hateful parents and/or have grown up rich.

Keep right on thinking that... And by all means, keep exposing your own brand of ignorance.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 28, 2012 4:58:08 PM

18. a gay Republican is like hot snow. And any gay person saying they are Republican needs help.

Posted by: gary | Aug 28, 2012 6:20:33 PM

19. You know I wish we had an election where republicans were endorsing traditionally conservative values. If that meant smaller government in regards to getting rid of "morality code" type laws that really only lined up with one predominant religion I could get behind that. Smaller government would also mean less military spending and decreasing our presence around the world by shutting down military bases in foreign countries, but I'm not holding my breath for republicans to do that.

Republicans... love life when it's in the womb, then once it's past those labia blow that little POS up

Posted by: MaddM@ | Aug 28, 2012 6:36:31 PM

20. I'm sorry but none of these lesbians look like the lesbians I know. They look as if they were put in the ad because they don't look like lesbians. It's an offensive ad to say the least.

Besides, it makes us look as if we are perfectly aligned with what heterosexuals want us to look like. Yawn, it's a garbage ad.

Posted by: jason | Aug 28, 2012 7:30:10 PM

21. my roomate's sister makes $68 every hour on the internet. She has been out of work for 6 months but last month her pay was $21990 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this web site >>> http://Goo.gl/189kz

Posted by: james | Aug 28, 2012 7:32:01 PM

22. Go check out their site. Not one picture of their members or their (make believe) partners. Hiding in the closet much LGRs?

Posted by: KuMiCu | Aug 28, 2012 8:06:48 PM

23. The anti-gay Christians pretend to be gay to infiltrate LGBT groups to spy and make trouble now it is the republicans who are pretending to be gay to get votes. These people give us good gay Christians a bad name.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 28, 2012 9:19:35 PM

24. Log Cabin Republicans are just pathetic. I can't even begin to wrap my very educated head around how in the world they would, could, or should support a party that hates them to their very core.

Posted by: Rich | Aug 28, 2012 10:34:23 PM

25. Their heart is in the right place, on this issue. They are just in the wrong political party.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 28, 2012 11:56:59 PM