London | News | Nightlife | United Kingdom

London Police Warn Gay Clubbers About Tainted Drugs After One Man Dies, Two Collapse Following Night Out

Police have issued a warning after three incidents at gay nightclubs in London over the weekend, Pink News reports:

AreaA man is known to have collapsed at Area Club in the early hours of Sunday morning. He was pronounced dead at 5am. A second man collapsed at the same club while a third was taken ill at Barcode. The latter two have been hospitalised.

The first two men were found with a so-far unidentified white powder.

The cause of death has not been ascertained but police have issued a warning to anyone considering using drugs at Vauxhall. A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: “Police urge any recreational drug users to be extremely careful if they are considering using drugs of any sort, in particular at venues in the Vauxhall area. Lambeth officers are appealing for anyone who can assist with enquiries to come forward as soon as possible. A quick response could help us prevent contaminated drugs circulating further and may save someone’s life.”

Comments

1. is somebody passing off K as coke again?

Posted by: QJ201 | Aug 6, 2012 8:45:58 AM

2. This drug culture in the gay nightclub scene is disgusting. It needs to be stamped out. If the clubs don't do it, the clubs ought to be shut down.

Posted by: jason | Aug 6, 2012 8:51:19 AM

3. Good thing I don't do drugs.

But for real tho, the Drug use is one thing I hate so much about urban gay communities.

Posted by: New-new | Aug 6, 2012 9:32:42 AM

4. Gays do LOVE their drugs, and many dealers will back that up. In fact, it was one of the main reasons AIDS developed and spread so quickly in the gay 'community' 30 years ago. Many gay men's immune systems were severely compromised by substance abuse.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 6, 2012 10:39:28 AM

5. Drugs. Play with fire. Expect to get burned.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 6, 2012 11:50:00 AM

6. The gay scene in London has gotten really dodgy over the last several years. Glad I did all my clubbing in the early 2000's.

Posted by: Scary | Aug 6, 2012 1:15:58 PM

7. I thought I read about another death in a gay venue in London recently? I don't use drugs, but almost feel like I dodged a bullet. Was just in London and went out in Soho a couple of times. I was on my way to Barcode/Vauxhall one night and just didn't feel good about it and turned around.

Maybe some of this stuff got slipped into drinks.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 6, 2012 1:25:57 PM

8. I hate to sound insensitive, but aren't people passed out on drugs in Vauxhall on any given week anyway? Can't tell you how many time I've seen queens passed out in G snores in a bush. Not cute.

Also, @Ratbastard it could also be because they weren't using proper protection.

@new-new drug usage is everywhere. not just relegated to urban gay populations.

Posted by: RS | Aug 7, 2012 1:02:30 AM