Mika | Music | Music Video | News

Mika's New 'Celebrate' Video is No Coming Out Party: VIDEO

Mika

Mika released the video for his new track "Celebrate" today, which features a short rap by Pharrell.

Earlier this month, Mika told Instinct magazine that he's gay. He had previously said he was bi.

“If you ask me am I gay, I say yeah. Are these songs about my relationship with a man? I say yeah. And it’s only through my music that I’ve found the strength to come to terms with my sexuality beyond the context of just my lyrics. This is my real life.”

The "Celebrate" video, though upbeat and on the topic of moving on, is a decidedly straight affair.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Keep in mind that many of these male recording artists, even the rare ones who are out, are controlled by people who are not very gay-friendly. If the recording artist doesn't stand up to these people, he loses artistic control.

Or it may be that Mika doesn't want to lose his female fan base. Females are known to be very homophobic to men and will generally not purchase from them. Some will but most won't.

Posted by: jason | Aug 10, 2012 8:31:50 AM

2. Funny that a track called Celebrate has a video like this, still hiding in a closet. Yeah, "everybody stand up! Now or never. Everybody celebrate" Except Mika. Kiss the girl, Mika. Good song tho.

Posted by: Ken | Aug 10, 2012 8:49:31 AM

3. Give the guy a break. Coming out is a process for all of us and it can't be easy coming out while in the public eye. Mika is a genius and we can expect great things from him in the future.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 10, 2012 9:07:37 AM

4. He's 28 and the younger generation isn't as interested in living a "gay life" vs "straight life" let alone depicting it. Didn't seem to me to be any more closeted than a Pet Shop Boys video.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 10, 2012 9:15:54 AM

5. Of all the celebrating, only one group is a couple. The rest are friends and families celebrating together. Are we so one sided that we can't appreciate celebrating for celebrating? Do ALL his videos need to be gay? He had an entire song (Billy Brown) about a gay affair.

Posted by: Tim | Aug 10, 2012 12:48:49 PM

6. I don't understand the criticism here. It's not like Mika was the one proposing to and kissing a girl in the video.

The goal was clearly to just show many different groups of people celebrating an event in their lives. Cute video.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 10, 2012 4:35:58 PM

7. I don't understand the criticism here. It's not like Mika was the one proposing to and kissing a girl in the video.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 10, 2012 4:36:00 PM

8. "Females are known to be very homophobic to men and will generally not purchase from them"

Sometimes I feel a nut, sometimes I don't
    Almond Joy's got nuts....

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 10, 2012 4:46:46 PM

9. Might be a "decidedly straight affair," yet, an Asian guy gets the girl for a change... So leave Mika alone, you bitches...:-P

Posted by: Iban4yesu | Aug 10, 2012 11:27:08 PM