Discrimination | Gay Marriage | Mississippi | News

Mississippi Gov: Everyone Should Be Allowed To Marry, Except The Gays

BryantMississippiThe state of Mississippi found itself facing its past when a predominantly white church, First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, last month refused to marry an African-American couple.

Gov. Phil Bryant was asked about the scandal this week and said that he believes everyone should be allowed marry, and that the church in question was in the wrong. So, what about same-sex couples, who are forbidden to tie the knot in Mississippi? Well there the answer changes.

From The Mississippi Press:

Bryant said the denial of a wedding for a black couple at a traditionally white church has "tainted" Mississippi's image nationwide.

"I'm sure there are very good people of Crystal Springs and in that Baptist church that don't feel that way and are supporting that effort," Bryant said of the Wilsons' desire to marry in the church.

"Look, when people want to get married, we ought to let them get married," Bryant said. "We have enough people that won't go and get married. I want to make every opportunity I can for any couple that wants to, to go get married."

Even gay couples?

"I wouldn't say gay couples, no," Bryant said. "I'd say a man and a woman. Let me make sure, let's get that right. When I say couples, I automatically assume it's a man and a woman."

His conservative politics are so deeply ingrained that they won't even let his imagination meander into the realm of same-sex love.

Comments

1. this is all the more sad since his own adult son is gay...he's a Mississippian true and true, bigotry to the end

Posted by: MSboy | Aug 3, 2012 12:17:08 AM

2. ....and still there will be idiot gays in that state who vote for this idiot Governor. We will never have equal rights until we educate all the gays not to hate themselves or view themselves as "inferior".

There should be no gay people voting Republican. It is insane !

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 3, 2012 12:17:48 AM

3. AS A NATIVE OF MISSISSIPPI, I GUARANTEE, Governor Phil Bryant REPRESENTS THE VALUES OF OUR GREAT STATE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Aug 3, 2012 2:32:41 AM

4. Oh MY! There're Bigots in Mississippi?!

Posted by: MoJo | Aug 3, 2012 3:14:51 AM

5. I think it's interesting as a society we have completely denounced racism, but homophobia is celebrated as a freedom. And sadly, and usually, by the very people who take most offense to racism

Posted by: JustJaime | Aug 3, 2012 3:43:42 AM

6. For me, racism and homophobia are not any different. I do resent those who think racism is sooo much more horrid than homophobia. I believe being gay in America is so much more challenging than being black. Being gay means you get hate from everyone, blacks included, white, hispanic, all backgrounds. Racism exists in small fringes and is hardly as promoted as homophobia, so at times, I don't even believe the two should be compared because gay peeps have it MUCH harder.

Posted by: Kevin Mendoza | Aug 3, 2012 3:46:28 AM

7. I don't think there's any question that homophobia is far more rampant in America than racism in 2012.

I'm pretty positive if Chik Fil A spoke against interracial marriage, virtually every store would have riots or be bombed by now, with hardly a single soul speaking out in their favor. Not a one.

Posted by: LazerlightBeams | Aug 3, 2012 3:49:24 AM

8. For all of you gnashing your teeth about complacency, you have a chance to make a difference:
    There are 4 ballot initiatives pending (in the states of Maine, Minn., Maryland and Washington) where are rights are up for a vote.
    Talk to friends, families and co-workers living in those states and ask them to get involved and make sure they vote to support our rights -- and that they ask their friends, etc. to support our rights.

Better yet, volunteer with the campaigns to make phone calls or $end them money to $upport our cause. Find their websites and donate as much as you can afford. Even $10 will be a huge help.

So make a difference. Give today. Take a stand.

Posted by: TruthSeeker_Too | Aug 3, 2012 4:59:19 AM

9. Great post! Thanks a lot.

Posted by: perfect essay | Aug 3, 2012 5:06:32 AM

10. It seems "Freedom of Speech" has become the code words for "We hate the queers". The christians/republicans are becoming increasingly strident as gains are made on the gay side. Frankly, I don't know what will happen in the country. The hatred is becoming so intense you can feel it. All I can say is vote, give money if you can, participate if possible, and pray (if you're of that persuasion) for a miracle.

Posted by: Hector | Aug 3, 2012 6:10:58 AM

11. Here's a point that NEVER ever..... Ever gets brought up in all my years on gay blogs:

The best way to combat homophobia and anti equality laws is getting more gays to run for office, an be part of politics. We are the ONLY demographic that don't actively encourage or have a platform set up to get our LGBT people running for office. If they have to do it closeted in some rural places, then go in and make change on our behalf, so be it. But as it stands.... We hardly ever promote gays running for political positions and it's a crying shame. The congressional black caucas, latino groups, women's right groups all work actively in many various forms to help 'their own' run for influential law making positions. We don't do that. We should have farrrrrrrrrr FAR more gays an lesbians in politics. I truly believe it would make a difference in ensuring our rights an protections in some capacity and have great positive impacts

Posted by: TellerHu | Aug 3, 2012 6:45:14 AM

12. This unknown governor just wants to get some air time. May be he wants to be Mitt's VP candidate.

Posted by: simon | Aug 3, 2012 7:05:10 AM

13. I think he meant to say, "when I think of people, I don't think of gays."

Posted by: RHR IN TN | Aug 3, 2012 9:21:35 AM

14. I did a Google search of Patrick Bryant and, alas, there's no statement by him denouncing the 'oh it's bad when it affects black folk but completely all right when it affects my own son' mentality of his father. Like others have said, that's a BIG part of the problem here - historically too few of us have denounced the bigotry of our 'friends and family', especially when they feel just fine in going public with their hate.

However, I believe that's changing, and the Chick-Fil-A debacle has been a BIG catalyst. I don't know about all of you, but my FB feed on Wednesday was literally crammed with my Gay, Lesbian and straight ally friends denouncing their own 'friends' who thought it was okay to post hate - over and over again, I saw people being unfriended after enduring withering rebuke. The 'oh it's just a difference of opinion' lie was shot down repeatedly.

I'm glad to see it. I want to see more LGBT folks (and straight allies) being unafraid to offend those who have no problems offending us.

Posted by: Oz in OK | Aug 3, 2012 9:26:46 AM

15. Oh and that troll CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON... just look at his facebook page and you will see he is a true Mississippian... a tea party bigot to the end! Wonder why he is trolling Towleroad... probably looking at the pics of hot guys with his hand helping him get off under the desk... freak!

Posted by: CKNJ | Aug 3, 2012 9:27:45 AM

16. Taint Mississippi's image????? Really??? Get a grip girl ... there isn't a legal pad thick enough to list Mississippi's image issues.

Posted by: Mi-miami | Aug 3, 2012 12:04:30 PM

17. @EWING_RYAN: Is that true? Bryant's son is gay? His DOC is gay as well? Sort of puts the bold italic underscore to what USC TROJANS FAN has written.

My jaw dropped at the hetero-arrogance of Bryant, that when he says "couple" he "automatically assumes it's a man and a woman".

Well, right there is the crux of the entire issue of same-sex marriage or, even, the issue of full civil equality for LGBT people.

Gov. Bryant and millions of others like him do not see us as human beings, capable of loving and being loved in return.

And Bryant and millions of others like him call themselves "christians".

Sad. Very, very sad.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 3, 2012 12:22:42 PM

18. Get real governor- mississippi is regularly the fattest, sickest, poorly educated and most illiterate state. It's one of the highest consumers of government aid (although many in the state will go on about "people on wellfare" meaning urban black people- see poorly educated) while giving back the least. America drags mississippi along like its deadbeat brother in law. I think CPS should be called on every kid in the state and they should be given an opportunity to escape into civilization and leave that awful pit.

Posted by: maddm@ | Aug 3, 2012 12:30:01 PM

19. @JAMAL49: Yes, Patrick Bryant is the gay son of Mississippi governor Phil Bryant. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/patrick-bryant/3a/2ab/849
    The governor's Director of Communications is yet another self-loathing gay republican. http://www.facebook.com/mick.bullock

Posted by: ewing_ryan | Aug 3, 2012 2:50:45 PM

20. Since the"Gay" Gene is supplied by the Male sperm at conseption(sp?), Mr. Bryant's comment reminds me of Shakspeare's comment - "Me thinks thow doest complain too much." Is Mr. Bryant hiding something?

Posted by: Jerry6 | Aug 3, 2012 3:44:49 PM

21. "JUSTJAIME,"

SOCIETY HAS NOT COMPLETELY DENOUNCED RACISM. CAUCASIANS ARE TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT IT. NEGROES WILL NEVER ACCEPT HOMOSEXUALITY.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Aug 3, 2012 7:02:33 PM

22. "CKNJ,"

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONS ARE IN THE UNITED STATES? I DO NOT HAVE A Facebook PAGE. I HAVE N-E-V-E-R POSTED MY PHOTOGRAPH ONLINE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Aug 3, 2012 7:06:37 PM

23. "CKNJ,"

Towleroad RARELY HAS PHOTOGRAPHS OF "HOT GUYS." I LIKE HAIRY AND MATURE MALES - NOT, SMOOTH-BODIED TWINKS.

OH YES, SIR! - I ENJOY MASTURBATION! MY HAND IS ON MY PETER RIGHT NOW, THINKING ABOUT WHAT YOU MAY LOOK LIKE. ARE YOU MY TYPE, "CKNJ?"

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Aug 3, 2012 7:12:21 PM

24. The beginning of the PBS video/series about Clinton starts with something about the people in Arkansas taking some pride in the fact that on almost every measure of anything, Arkansas finished #49th on the list, but Mississippi was always 50th.

Posted by: Amanda B. Rekendwith | Aug 3, 2012 9:01:42 PM

25. Why is it always politicians from Mississippi or Alabama who spout these bigoted remarks? Obviously, the Baptist church isn't doing anything all that effective to make it a better place to live, so why continuously defend it? Those two states consistently rank last in quality of life. This ineffectual so called "leader" should be doing more to lift it out of its engrained poverty and ignorance. Illogical.

Posted by: Rob Zeleniak | Aug 4, 2012 11:15:37 AM