Gay Marriage | Novak Djokovic | Sports | Tennis

Boy Asks Novak Djokovic to Marry Him at U.S. Open Practice: VIDEO

Djokovic

When a boy in the stands shouted "Djokovic, will you marry me?" to the tennis champ at a U.S. Open practice session this week, Nole invited the kid out for a few serves, and a hug.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. But he didn't answer the question. WILL he marry the kid (when he's of age), or is he afraid of having a younger husband with a killer serve?

Posted by: Ruddigore | Aug 28, 2012 7:27:15 PM

2. It seems the kid did it for attention. This is not really a gay story. It's cute but tilting toward mockery of same sex affection.

Posted by: Billy | Aug 28, 2012 7:36:50 PM

3. I happen to be VERY Serbian Orthodox, too, and I'm not a homophobe in the least. So, just because Christianity in general (and most other organized religions) is against ALL sex outside of marriage (take note hetero hypocrites banging away), doesn't mean the people practicing the religion hate gay people or believe gays are "choosing" to be gay and must be persecuted. That's nonsense. Novak is a cool guy.

Posted by: Serb | Aug 28, 2012 7:51:30 PM

4. @Orbit319: LOL seems like no matter how hard your little brain orbited around what I said your head still blew up. Assholes just need to take a deep breath, calm down, and get on their usual task of sucking farts.

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 28, 2012 8:37:07 PM

5. Hmmm I don't think because the boy said "Will you marry me?" that he's necessarily gay. Yes he could have said a million other things to get the guy's attention but sometimes kids that age (and even a lot of frat guys later in life) will say anything because it's funny/outrageous/will get attention. Kind of a "haha girls say this to him all the time what will happen if I say it?". Either way, gay or not, Djokovic handled the cat call nicely haha

Posted by: BBBB | Aug 29, 2012 8:06:09 AM

6. Yeah, Novak was very gracious to the boy.

Posted by: Peter | Aug 29, 2012 4:43:36 PM

7. Aww, I almost got a bit teary eyed over that. That kid could be a future champion.

Posted by: daws | Aug 29, 2012 7:44:31 PM

8. I thought the "Will you marry me?" question at tennis events was part of a meme that started at Wimbledon (male spectator to Steffi Graf: "Steffi, will you marry me?"; Graf, interrupting serve: "How much money do you have?") and carried on at a subsequent Australian Open (female spectator: "Hey, Nadal, will you marry me?"; surly Nadal, about to receive serve, finally cracks a smile and sort of waves in her direction). The kid at the US Open practice session knows his tennis history - and Djokovic is so artfully adept at milking it all for great PR.

Posted by: LemmyC | Aug 31, 2012 2:52:55 AM

9. Yeah, even without known the meme cited by LemmyC, it seemed more like a straight kid being cheeky. Which is fine...in a way it's better to have it that way, it shows that straight kids find the thought of same sex marriage to be amusing rather than horrifying.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 31, 2012 1:17:53 PM

10. Today gave you several very unique square watch.

Posted by: ketty wiley | Sep 1, 2012 5:49:48 AM

11. Watch the world, or medallions main tone. With the diversification of market demand, the character design is the first step to attract the attention of consumers. Watch of various shapes spate emerged square watch is one of the best.

Posted by: ketty wiley | Sep 1, 2012 5:55:17 AM

12. Watch the world, or medallions main tone. With the diversification of market demand, the character design is the first step to attract the attention of consumers. Watch of various shapes spate emerged square watch is one of the best.

Posted by: ketty wiley | Sep 1, 2012 5:55:18 AM

13. Today gave you several very unique square watch.

Posted by: ketty wiley | Sep 1, 2012 6:41:25 AM

14. Today gave you several very unique square watch.

Posted by: ketty wiley | Sep 1, 2012 6:41:25 AM

15. @ ORBIT 319... THANK YOU!!! I have to admit that I am constantly shaking my head at the hate and self loathing that I see in the comments section of this feed... I will also say that everyone seems to be foretting that we are talking about a 10 year old boy and hero worship...His question had NOTHING to do with sexuality, it was about love..

Posted by: RD | Sep 1, 2012 11:01:27 PM

16. "Meanwhile, back in Serbia, he's a VERY active member of the Serbian Orthodox church, which is VERY anti-gay."

Do not judge a person by their group memberships but rather their individual traits and individual actions. THere is zero evidence of any anti-gayness from Novak. He loves Elton John for heaven sakes and sings I will Survive during Karoake for heaven sakes.

Posted by: lucbod | Nov 14, 2013 8:18:47 AM