Barack Obama | News | Todd Akin

BigGayDeal.com

Obama Calls Akin's Rape Comments 'Offensive': VIDEO

Obama

President Obama today responded to Rep. Todd Akin's (R-MO) remarks about "legitimate rape" in a White House press conference today:

"Rape is rape. And the idea that we should be parsing and qualifying and slicing what types of rape we’re talking about doesn’t make sense to the American people and doesn’t make sense to me. What I think these comments do underscore is why we shouldn’t have a bunch of politicians – the majority of whom are men – making decisions about women’s health."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Meanwhile, the GOP seems to be turning against Akin, with even Romney suggesting that he should think about stepping down.

Comments

1. thank you for that Mr Prez...

Posted by: Jay M | Aug 20, 2012 3:12:22 PM

2. While I agree with what Obama was trying to say in response to the comment by the idiot Akin, I do not agree with what he actually said.

I'm sure any couple aged 17-18 years living near certain state borders is at risk of finding out the hard way that "rape is rape" is not true. Particularly if they are gay.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 20, 2012 3:21:05 PM

3. He doesn't go near the discussion of rape on American military bases in Afghanistan, but okay.

Posted by: anon | Aug 20, 2012 4:06:09 PM

4. Akin and Yoder a gift from the Gods!
    I live this way Akins is really bad news a major mother f------r!
    Yoder is being groomed for GOP big wig party position around these parts.
    They will be forgiven because these voters around here are...STUPID!

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Aug 20, 2012 4:14:19 PM

5. Work this meme until it pants: women are objects of scorn and manipulation by the endless, disgusting rants of old, white, rich men - sometimes wearing dresses (see: Catholic bishops.)
    If men could get pregnant, abortion would be the 8th sacrament.
    Keep hammering the GOP on their extreme sexist worldview.
    "It's the economy, stupid?" NO, it's revisionisim, stupid.

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Aug 20, 2012 4:34:36 PM

6. Sorry to disagree with the President, but according to Whoopi Goldberg, there is rape, and then there's rape-rape.

Posted by: ludovico | Aug 20, 2012 6:23:06 PM

7. Why are democrats now calling for his resignation? Moveon.org just sent a petition to be signed. WHY!?!? For ONCE in a very LONG time Claire McCaskill actually has a fighting chance with this fool so please, lets keep him on the ballot. The petitions should be to remove him from the Science commitee he is on.

Posted by: Opinionated | Aug 20, 2012 6:44:12 PM

8. @Opinionated - I think this is an example of the Democrats hoping Akins is one of those "if the Democrats are for it, I'm agin' it" Teabaggers, so he'll be prompted to do the exact opposite of what he thinks Dems want and stay in the race.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Aug 20, 2012 7:06:38 PM

9. Do not call for his removal from the ballot. Akin as the republican candidate may be the only way Claire McCaskill and the democrats win that Missouri seat and mabye keep control of the senate. So shut up Moveon.org unless you want a repubican controlled senate.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 20, 2012 9:24:38 PM

10. Andrew, Missouri can be so backwards at times they may still elect him. Shame on my state.

Posted by: Billy | Aug 21, 2012 12:32:25 AM

11. It wasn't that long ago that due to 'marital duty' laws, women in marriages could be raped by their husbands with no legal recourse. Perhaps that is what Akins was thinking about...

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Aug 21, 2012 8:06:14 AM

12. I was just browsing for meaningful blog posts for my study and I accidentally stopped upon yours. I’ve read some good things here. I will definitely visit again, thanks for the excellent blog!

Posted by: fashion blog | Sep 19, 2012 1:25:33 AM