PETA VP Warns Lady Gaga She May Be ‘Targeted’ Like Kim Kardashian for Wearing Fur

EXCLUSIVE

Towleroad has obtained a letter sent today by gay PETA Senior VP Dan Mathews to Lady Gaga's rep at 42 West, Amanda Silverman. In the letter, Mathews asks Gaga about two recent photos of her wearing designer fur apparel, and a promotional poster for Robert Rodriguez' Machete Kills film in which she is draped in a wolf carcass.

GagaMathews warns Gaga that she should clarify her position on the fur industry or risk becoming a target like Kim Kardashian.

Mathews' letter:

Dear Gaga,

Many of your gay fans, I among them, have long admired what you told Ellen: "I hate fur, and I don't wear fur." I included a link because these recent photos of you in fox and rabbit and with a wolf carcass make it appear that you have amnesia. I'm also including this brief video hosted by Tim Gunn showing the violent cruelty that you promote when you wear fur. What happened? Are your stylists telling you that it's fake, or are you a turncoat? Many gays are animal advocates because we recognize that the same arrogance and indifference that some have toward animal suffering has at times been directed toward us personally because of our orientation. PETA has long participated in Pride events around the country, and just last week, we helped lead protests against Chick-fil-A. But by wearing those dumb furs in a heat wave, you're making yourself a target just like the mindless Kim Kardashian. As we plan our fall campaigns, please tell us whether what you gracefully told Ellen was heartfelt or just a pose.

We await your reply.

Sincerely,

Dan Mathews
Senior VP
PETA

Kardashian was flour-bombed by a PETA activist in March at a red carpet event.

Comments

1. Rick says

This little b!tch does not have a principled bone in her body, any more than any of the other “divas” that some gay men misguidedly worship typically do.

These women are all about themselves and are totally self-involved and any action they engage in tends to reflect that.

From time to time, an incident like this brings that to light….and it would be nice if gay men would learn from such incidents….and realize that these women just exploit them for their own purposes…..

2. tinkerbelle says

Kind of a snarky letter that deserves a snarky response — whatever happened to diplomacy and basic politeness, at least at first contact? — then, depending on the answer, roll out the big guns. I’m certainly not for wearing fur, I am a fanatic for animal rights, but I also think that one is innocent until proven guilty (although if that wolf carcass is real, well, oops). Otherwise, haha, love that Gaga’s character name is “La Chameleon”, sure fits.

3. atomic says

Lady Gaga and PeTA have one thing in common: they’re both attention whores, who use sensationalist tactics to further their goals, rather than having any actual integrity. This is about manufacturing controversy for the mutual benefit of both parties, while the ignorant masses eat it up and take sides.

4. says

PETA needs to freakin’ realize that the poster is for a b-movie homage film, and the image is a CHARACTER PORTRAIT.

what next? criticizing Christophe Waltz for being, like, “totes against Jews” due to “Inglourious Basterds”?

it’s not lady gaga in fur, peta. it’s an exploitation-film character in a wolfskin.

learn to discern.

and of course, since this is about lady gaga, we’re gonna get the usual roster of miserable closet cases coming on to vent their anger.

yes yes yes. we know you hate lady gaga. but you’re also going to die alone and unloved in the closet and hating her wont change that. so keep it up. you won’t be missed.

5. says

I had a feeling this was coming when I saw the poster.

I agree with LittleKiwi. It’s a poster and she’s playing a character.

Are PETA picketing Glenn Close because she played Cruella DeVil?

That said Gaga should restate her position on fur. She’s smart enough to come up with a snappy retort that sets up the movie and makes her position clear!

6. Rick says

For the apologist who are–predictably–trying to do damage control, now that another of their “divas” have been exposed for the lying, hypocritical, self-involved b!tches that they all really are, click on the highlighted words “fox” and “rabbit” and you will see photos in other contexts that have nothing to do with the “wolf” character.

Nice try.

Take your heads out of these women’s selfish, unprincipled a$$es and see them for what they really are, for once. Please.

7. VDUFFORD says

So sick of bad poster art!… bad tired photoshop photo… bad type… bad design in general picket the art director or so called designer of this piece of junk food design.

8. Nat says

“And a film can be advertised in all kinds of ways that do not involve hurling dead animals around one’s torso…..and anyone who really cared about the rights of animals would insist that such be done.”

There is not a chance in hell you believe in animal rights, or in animal welfare enough to make an issue about this if it was a man, rather than a woman.

If PETA ran the same story about a masculine actor wearing an alligator skin suit, you would not say a word.

9. says

considering the rampant gunviolence you’d think people would be more upset about the fetishization of guns…..

but, again, it’s a character-portrait of a b-movie femme fatale.

oops. i said femme.

10. QJ201 says

PETA has practically become a blackmailing terrorist group. The things the right wing accuses gay groups of doing…PETA actually does. They are like the Westboro Baptist Church of the “left.”

I agree with fighting cruelty to animals, but the rest of their agenda is just extreme Veganism.

11. Rick says

@NAT Wrong, Nat. I became a vegetarian way back in 1975 when it was considered a totally “far out”, bizarre thing to do. I pull no punches with anyone, regardless of gender or anything else, who condones and supports abuse of helpless animals. Never have and never will.

Don’t try to make me the issue. Time and again, gay men have been burned by the “divas” that some of them pathetically live vicariously through and project themselves onto–out of their twisted sense that these women somehow “represent” them, even though these women themselves either are oblivious to them, are apathetic about their issues, or are even hostile to them (at least in private, although in some cases, in public, as well–see Cher, Donna Summer, etc.)….and have no particular principles regarding human rights or any other kind of rights whatsoever.

So add this example to the list.

So many gay men are totally delusional about these women and about women in general, when it comes to how they feel about you and the notion that you have some kind of shared interest with them or shared understanding with them, when the reality is that they just exploit you when the opportunity presents itself…..and it is time you all came face-to-face with the reasons you continue to so delude yourselves…..which, I assure you, is not in your best long-term interests……

The longer some of you continue to attach yourselves to these women rather than embrace a male identity……the longer you will continue to be burned when the truth about them emerges….

12. Sam says

Setting aside the question of whether to wear fur or not, that letter is ridiculous considering it comes from a Senior VP of PETA. It is childish in its name-calling and the level of writing is that of a high school student.

13. Syrax says

I can’t ever see anything by PeTA without remembering that the founder has killed hundreds of animals and their shelters have been proven to kill pets at a much higher rate just because they believe it’s better for an animal to be dead than with a human. Let’s hope Dan Mathews isn’t wearing a leather shoe, or eating a beef for lunch.

14. BrandonJD says

Rick, that is not only generalizing all gay people, it is quite sexist. “The longer some of you continue to attach yourselves to these women rather than embrace a male identity…” Really?

15. Nat says

“Time and again, gay men have been burned by the “divas” that some of them pathetically live vicariously through and project themselves onto–out of their twisted sense that these women somehow “represent” them…”

So ignore them. Just ignore them. I spend precisely zero hours each day listening or thinking about these people you spend so much time denigrating. Because it’s a waste of my life to spend time hating someone who is so inherently stupid as to wear a dress made out of meat to an awards ceremony.

“….and it is time you all came face-to-face with the reasons you continue to so delude yourselves…..which, I assure you, is not in your best long-term interests……”

I don’t think it’s in your best long-term interests to continue to fixate on vapid pop stars and their fans.

I have a friend who’s a great guy. Funny, cynical – true integrity to him. But he spends a great deal of his free time obsessing over the things he hates: reality television, vapid celebrities and celebrity gossip, formulaic movies, and bad pop music. And I don’t understand it.

Most of our culture is filled with useless detritus that’s forgotten within a year. Most celebrities have a five-year shelf life at best. Most people have shallow tastes. But why spend time obsessing over the 99% of our culture that is utter crap? Why not focus on the 1% that really shines?

16. Brian says

You must be new here Frank. Yes, Rick hates all women, and most men for that matter. You must be hyper masculine to get Rick’s seal of approval, and conservative, and white. There are other fetishes and phobias, but those are his main criteria.

17. says

Right at the very first time when towleroad had published about this movie, I, after seeing at the poster was the first one to opint out her fur thingy, ‘coz she wore that green muppet dress in order to voice against fur use so, it was very hypocritical but at that time some dumbass bit*ch, nitwit queen said that I should better be using my mind to understand that it’s fake. But guess what bit*ch, read this. Irrespective of the fur being real or fake the statement she’s making is glamorizing fur use.

18. Rick says

@FRANK What I hate, Frank, is a culture that forces men–ALL men–to place women at the center of their emotional lives, to their own detriment.

It causes straight men to be caught up in relationships with individuals (i.e. women) who are incapable of understanding them and who virtually never bring them happiness, as the huge failure rate of “romantic” male-female relationships demonstrates.

It causes gay men to fail to form either deep friendships or relationships with other men, instead resorting to objectification of other men, including other gay men, and generally finding themselves going from one empty sexual encounter to another…..and becoming the social accessories of straight women at the same time, who neither respect them as men or really care about them……and the living vicariously through “divas” is just one manifestation of that phenomenon.

A very sad situation all around that can only be rectified by a realization on the part of all men that women are not their natural “soulmates” and that making oneself dependent on them emotionally out of a fear of intimacy with other men–which is what drives the emotional attachment of BOTH gay and straight men to women rather than men–is not ever going bring them happiness…..

19. NorthoftheBorder says

That wolf is probably the result of some cull in an american National Park. or maybe.. it died a natural death in some zoo.. or it was road kill. just cuz someone is wearing a fur, doesn’t mean it was trapped. In any event, PETA does not represent me and I’m gay. I hunt!

20. castaway says

The part about wearing these pelts for a vintage photo, understood. But the same photo can be taken with fake fur and a without the dead animal head which only infuriates me, and I am no fan of PETA. What’s next Gaga? Dead tigers or dolphins? I don’t have any Gaga music and now have less interest in ever checking it out.

21. ChristopherM says

Rick, is it true you requested via ultrasound a caesarian delivery just so you could say you e never touched a vagina?

I’m anti-fur, but I swear the assholes at PETA make me want to club baby seals.

22. says

fun fact – the “i hate femmes and divas!” gays are always, always, ALWAYS, insecure and pathetically-closeted grown adults who can never, ever, ever put a face and name to their statements.

if you’re past 50 and hating “divas” and still can’t be man enough to live openly, visibly and authentically then i’ll have to ask Dr. Phil’s question: “How’s that working for ya so far?”

exactly.

23. Rick says

@NAT For me, it is not mainly about Lady Gaga or other celebrities–although what they do does matter in terms of how the culture evolves, given the celebrity-obsessed, media-intensive culture we live in.

It is about what drives the entire prevailing gay male culture……and how detrimental that culture is to all of us…..The emotional attachment of gay men to women rather than to other men has very serious consequences for all of our lives, unfortunately…..and until that situation is changed, the lives of gay men….and men, in general, will never be really healthy or happy…..

24. says

are people really so stupid that they can’t understand that photo is a character-piece for the femme-fatale she’s playing in an homage to grindhouse-era exploitation films?

what’s the disconnect? are you just really stupid or does your blind fury of All Things Gaga make you unable to understand that it’s not “gaga posing in fur” but a film-publicity still of a CHARACTER she’s playing in a movie?

truly.

the Glenn Close in fur analogy from 101 Dalmations.

what next? being angry at an actor for playing an anti-gay bigot because it’s “harmful to be anti-gay!”?

are some of you realllllllyyyy so dim that you don’t understand that she’s in character?

eek.

25. Nat says

“or me, it is not mainly about Lady Gaga or other celebrities–although what they do does matter in terms of how the culture evolves, given the celebrity-obsessed, media-intensive culture we live in.”

“It is about what drives the entire prevailing gay male culture……and how detrimental that culture is to all of us….”

As I said: most people have shallow tastes. And that’s nothing new. The vast majority of culture in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries was complete and utter crap. There are no golden ages.

Further to that point: why should gay men be any different? Gays are just as flawed and human as anybody else. Most gays don’t aspire to much – so what? Most people don’t aspire to much. As long as someone isn’t preventing me from doing the things I want to do, or experiencing the things I want to experience, I don’t really feel like tearing them apart for their tastes.

26. Nat says

27. ChristopherM says

I’m pretty sure Rick’s manly tirade came from the episode of Designing Women when Anthony was trying to land a men’s movement group as a client.

28. wonderer says

Everyone just needs to STFU. She used a similar FAKE fur in Bad Romance…What a bunch of queens…God, sometimes I really hate the gay community. Glad I don’t “live” in it. Get a life.

29. Nat says

@Rick

Actually, per my last note, I don’t think I want to spend anymore time trying to reach you.

Three weeks ago, I was in Bukavu, in the DRC. My brother works out of there most of the time, and I spent a good portion of my early 20s trying to help people in the region after the wars. I don’t get back as often as I like anymore – I tend to be in the UK, Canada, the US, or Kenya these days.

But the reason I kept going back to the DRC – which can be one of the worst places in the world – is because I met people who needed my help and – more importantly – wanted to be helped. People wanted their lives to change – and I was in a position to do something about it.

My point about all this is: I think you’ve led a rough life, if even a portion of what you’ve alluded from it is true. And when you post these often terrible things, my first impulse isn’t to break you down, but to help you see how your past experiences don’t have to define your present perception of the world.

But I realize now that I can’t really help you, because you don’t want to be helped. You don’t see what’s wrong with how you view things.

So I don’t think I’m going to respond to any of your posts anymore. But brother, I hope that you take care of yourself, and hopefully find some peace in the future.

30. Stephen says

I don’t know why PETA is still around. I support PETA’s general idea with better treatment for animals. I don’t support their approach to it though.

31. Rrhain says

Oh…I see…because it *looks* like a wolf, it must be an *actual* wolf. I get it. Magical thinking at work here: If you merely think it’s real, then it is real.

It seems some people have fallen for the illusion and can’t handle the fact that something that isn’t real isn’t…well, you know…*real.*

32. Esras says

I think it would be awesome if one day, some angry PETA-terrorist flour-bombed someone with a Contact-Allergy to Wheat/Flour. Assault in the Second Degree?

33. says

this may come as a shock to some people, but despite making a living playing maniacs, Dennis Hopper didn’t actually spend his life murdering people, nor did he support murdering people.

he was this thing called an “ac-tor”

34. PAUL B. says

Thanks Kiwi…a voice of reason as usual.
    I wonder if Rick needs a megachurch of his own…or maybe just a really big mirror to watch himself talk nonsense. Either way, he could sure use a hobby.

35. Acronym Jim says

“…So many gay men are totally delusional about these women and about women in general…”

Unfortunately this is true. One of them calls himself “Rick” and frequently posts comments on Towleroad.

Seriously, it’s like giving the “Peggy” character from Sybil a keyboard and internet access so she can rant about Divas…I mean her mother.

36. says

I can’t stand PETA. They make me want to wear fur just to piss them off. Using fear, intimidation and threats of violence to change someones political views is the very definition of a terrorist organization.

37. bobbyjoe says

So maybe the furs in character, but if you want a real reason to criticize Gaga for this film, it’s because it’s yet another vehicle trying to help restart uber-bigot Mel Gibson’s career.

That GaGa would lend herself to a project that helps out Mel, that vile homophobic (and racist, sexist, anti-Semitic, you-name-it-he-probably-hates-it) a**hole, is reason enough to call her out. Why the h*ll is Miss “Born This Way” anti-bullying helping out one of entertainment’s hugest recurring bigots?

Fur issue aside, it’s for that that she should be ashamed.

38. Icebloo says

GaGa has abandoned her morals and values in the last year. I think her success has swelled her head way too big now and she’s so far removed from reality that she believes her own hype. She’s think she’s some kind of God.

I used to be a fan but more and more of her actions and inactions have made me change my mind.

What has she done for the gays in the last THREE YEARS ? I think she’s just another straight celeb who uses us for our money. Gaga could have been at the forefront of the campaign for gay marriage but she has done NOTHING. She doesn’t even reTweet Human Rights Campaign messages – surely that wouldn’t be too much to ask and her millions of fans would swing into action when the HRC needed help.

She’s SELFISH. She is all about fame and self promotion.

I don’t buy her music any more. I am very disappointed in her so it comes as no surprise that she is now wearing fur when she said she was against it – Madonna did exactly the same.
    They are both liars.

ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS GaGa & you need to start respecting your fans more and concentrate less on your bank balance – you’ve already earned enough !

39. jt says

So basically…Rick has again turned this into a “i hate women” tirade. We know why said troll hates them. They have what he wants…the affection and attention of straight men. Thats it. Thats all its ever been. The jealousy that all those straight men who are your ideal dont want you has driven you to near hysteria. You are so consumed with the fact that they will never ever want you…that you have turned your self hate outward to the ones who…in your mind…have stolen what should be yours. I actually truly feel sorry for you…honestly…i hope you find happiness in your twilight years.

40. jt says

41. Trina Shields says

Why would they send a letter, and then let it be published in public like this? Seems like they want to destroy Gaga’s image rather than convert it, which is unacceptable behavior of PETA.

42. Anthony says

When are they going to attack themselves and their own hypocritical supporters? Every year, PETA kills thousands of animals. petakillsanimals.com

If you don’t support fur, then fine, but who are you to push your beliefs onto others? It reminds of the gay rights movement. We don’t like Christians forcing their beliefs onto us, so why force your anti-fur beliefs onto others?

43. andrew says

It is sad that so many hateful and mean spirited posts appear on this site. So many seem to think they have to absolutely destroy people with whom they disagree. Rick, Ratbastard and Little Kiwi are just a few of the obvious offenders.

44. Acronym Jim says

Josh, get a fuckkin’ grip. Don’t advocate violence against a commenter on this board, especially one who is open about his identity.

Andy, please report this person to the proper authorities. This is totally unacceptable.

45. andrew says

@Acronym: As one who finds the mean spirited and intollerant rants of Little Kiwi disgraceful and often over the line, I agree with you that it is wrong to suggest that he be “dropped in a tub of acid”.

46. Acronym Jim says

Andrew,

I have yet to see a post by Little Kiwi that has not been in response to a specific poster’s intolerance to entire swaths of the gay community, effeminate men, or women in general. If you have evidence of his “intolerance” in a larger context please let me know. Regardless of some of his suppositions regarding those specific posters (some of them clearly trolls), he is clearly an advocate against intolerance.

47. says

Because you don’t have the opportunity to try on your prospective nd ask the sales person a bunch of questions, it’s best that you read your online retailer’s fine print. Better yet, if there’s an FAQ section or an online chat function, use it. Most importantly, you’ll want to make sure there is a reasonable return policy, just in case. You’ll also want to make sure your financial transaction is safe and secure. Look for logos and statements about security as well as ratings by sites such as Bizrate, Nextag, and Shopping.com.

48. fern says

Why don’t you all lay off Rick. He has some valid points about admiring people who are shallow. I know I for one used to love Lady Gaga but no more since this promotion of fur. If she’s willing to promote an industry that is as cruel and exploitive as the fur industry, she is not a person to be admired or idolized imo. A person promoting fur, imo, should also not be a spokesperson against bullying BECAUSE ANIMAL ABUSE IS BULLYING. Gaga is acting like a bully. Too bad, she could have been a contender instead of the dissapointment she has become.