Dan Mathews | Kim Kardashian | Lady Gaga | News | PETA

BigGayDeal.com

PETA VP Warns Lady Gaga She May Be 'Targeted' Like Kim Kardashian for Wearing Fur

EXCLUSIVE

Towleroad has obtained a letter sent today by gay PETA Senior VP Dan Mathews to Lady Gaga's rep at 42 West, Amanda Silverman. In the letter, Mathews asks Gaga about two recent photos of her wearing designer fur apparel, and a promotional poster for Robert Rodriguez' Machete Kills film in which she is draped in a wolf carcass.

GagaMathews warns Gaga that she should clarify her position on the fur industry or risk becoming a target like Kim Kardashian.

Mathews' letter:

Dear Gaga,

Many of your gay fans, I among them, have long admired what you told Ellen: "I hate fur, and I don't wear fur." I included a link because these recent photos of you in fox and rabbit and with a wolf carcass make it appear that you have amnesia. I'm also including this brief video hosted by Tim Gunn showing the violent cruelty that you promote when you wear fur. What happened? Are your stylists telling you that it's fake, or are you a turncoat? Many gays are animal advocates because we recognize that the same arrogance and indifference that some have toward animal suffering has at times been directed toward us personally because of our orientation. PETA has long participated in Pride events around the country, and just last week, we helped lead protests against Chick-fil-A. But by wearing those dumb furs in a heat wave, you're making yourself a target just like the mindless Kim Kardashian. As we plan our fall campaigns, please tell us whether what you gracefully told Ellen was heartfelt or just a pose.

We await your reply.

Sincerely,

Dan Mathews
Senior VP
PETA

Kardashian was flour-bombed by a PETA activist in March at a red carpet event.

Comments

1. "Time and again, gay men have been burned by the "divas" that some of them pathetically live vicariously through and project themselves onto--out of their twisted sense that these women somehow "represent" them..."

So ignore them. Just ignore them. I spend precisely zero hours each day listening or thinking about these people you spend so much time denigrating. Because it's a waste of my life to spend time hating someone who is so inherently stupid as to wear a dress made out of meat to an awards ceremony.

"....and it is time you all came face-to-face with the reasons you continue to so delude yourselves.....which, I assure you, is not in your best long-term interests......"

I don't think it's in your best long-term interests to continue to fixate on vapid pop stars and their fans.

I have a friend who's a great guy. Funny, cynical - true integrity to him. But he spends a great deal of his free time obsessing over the things he hates: reality television, vapid celebrities and celebrity gossip, formulaic movies, and bad pop music. And I don't understand it.

Most of our culture is filled with useless detritus that's forgotten within a year. Most celebrities have a five-year shelf life at best. Most people have shallow tastes. But why spend time obsessing over the 99% of our culture that is utter crap? Why not focus on the 1% that really shines?

Posted by: Nat | Aug 13, 2012 12:51:07 PM

2. You must be new here Frank. Yes, Rick hates all women, and most men for that matter. You must be hyper masculine to get Rick's seal of approval, and conservative, and white. There are other fetishes and phobias, but those are his main criteria.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 13, 2012 12:53:12 PM

3. Right at the very first time when towleroad had published about this movie, I, after seeing at the poster was the first one to opint out her fur thingy, 'coz she wore that green muppet dress in order to voice against fur use so, it was very hypocritical but at that time some dumbass bit*ch, nitwit queen said that I should better be using my mind to understand that it's fake. But guess what bit*ch, read this. Irrespective of the fur being real or fake the statement she's making is glamorizing fur use.

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 13, 2012 12:54:06 PM

4. @FRANK What I hate, Frank, is a culture that forces men--ALL men--to place women at the center of their emotional lives, to their own detriment.

It causes straight men to be caught up in relationships with individuals (i.e. women) who are incapable of understanding them and who virtually never bring them happiness, as the huge failure rate of "romantic" male-female relationships demonstrates.

It causes gay men to fail to form either deep friendships or relationships with other men, instead resorting to objectification of other men, including other gay men, and generally finding themselves going from one empty sexual encounter to another.....and becoming the social accessories of straight women at the same time, who neither respect them as men or really care about them......and the living vicariously through "divas" is just one manifestation of that phenomenon.

A very sad situation all around that can only be rectified by a realization on the part of all men that women are not their natural "soulmates" and that making oneself dependent on them emotionally out of a fear of intimacy with other men--which is what drives the emotional attachment of BOTH gay and straight men to women rather than men--is not ever going bring them happiness.....

Posted by: Rick | Aug 13, 2012 12:54:35 PM

5. That wolf is probably the result of some cull in an american National Park. or maybe.. it died a natural death in some zoo.. or it was road kill. just cuz someone is wearing a fur, doesn't mean it was trapped. In any event, PETA does not represent me and I'm gay. I hunt!

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | Aug 13, 2012 12:54:37 PM

6. The part about wearing these pelts for a vintage photo, understood. But the same photo can be taken with fake fur and a without the dead animal head which only infuriates me, and I am no fan of PETA. What's next Gaga? Dead tigers or dolphins? I don't have any Gaga music and now have less interest in ever checking it out.

Posted by: castaway | Aug 13, 2012 12:55:22 PM

7. Rick, is it true you requested via ultrasound a caesarian delivery just so you could say you e never touched a vagina?

I'm anti-fur, but I swear the assholes at PETA make me want to club baby seals.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Aug 13, 2012 12:57:50 PM

8. fun fact - the "i hate femmes and divas!" gays are always, always, ALWAYS, insecure and pathetically-closeted grown adults who can never, ever, ever put a face and name to their statements.

if you're past 50 and hating "divas" and still can't be man enough to live openly, visibly and authentically then i'll have to ask Dr. Phil's question: "How's that working for ya so far?"

exactly.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 13, 2012 1:00:02 PM

9. @NAT For me, it is not mainly about Lady Gaga or other celebrities--although what they do does matter in terms of how the culture evolves, given the celebrity-obsessed, media-intensive culture we live in.

It is about what drives the entire prevailing gay male culture......and how detrimental that culture is to all of us.....The emotional attachment of gay men to women rather than to other men has very serious consequences for all of our lives, unfortunately.....and until that situation is changed, the lives of gay men....and men, in general, will never be really healthy or happy.....

Posted by: Rick | Aug 13, 2012 1:02:54 PM

10. are people really so stupid that they can't understand that photo is a character-piece for the femme-fatale she's playing in an homage to grindhouse-era exploitation films?

what's the disconnect? are you just really stupid or does your blind fury of All Things Gaga make you unable to understand that it's not "gaga posing in fur" but a film-publicity still of a CHARACTER she's playing in a movie?

truly.

the Glenn Close in fur analogy from 101 Dalmations.

what next? being angry at an actor for playing an anti-gay bigot because it's "harmful to be anti-gay!"?

are some of you realllllllyyyy so dim that you don't understand that she's in character?

eek.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 13, 2012 1:08:28 PM

11. "or me, it is not mainly about Lady Gaga or other celebrities--although what they do does matter in terms of how the culture evolves, given the celebrity-obsessed, media-intensive culture we live in."

"It is about what drives the entire prevailing gay male culture......and how detrimental that culture is to all of us...."

As I said: most people have shallow tastes. And that's nothing new. The vast majority of culture in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries was complete and utter crap. There are no golden ages.

Further to that point: why should gay men be any different? Gays are just as flawed and human as anybody else. Most gays don't aspire to much - so what? Most people don't aspire to much. As long as someone isn't preventing me from doing the things I want to do, or experiencing the things I want to experience, I don't really feel like tearing them apart for their tastes.

Posted by: Nat | Aug 13, 2012 1:13:35 PM

12. "or me, it is not mainly about Lady Gaga or other celebrities--although what they do does matter in terms of how the culture evolves, given the celebrity-obsessed, media-intensive culture we live in."

Posted by: Nat | Aug 13, 2012 1:13:37 PM

13. If someone needs to be reported to PETA, it's Rick. All those poor gerbils that he stuffs up his butt can't be comfortable alongside all those sticks and puddles of Marcus Bachmann's jizz.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Aug 13, 2012 1:14:02 PM

14. I'm pretty sure Rick's manly tirade came from the episode of Designing Women when Anthony was trying to land a men's movement group as a client.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Aug 13, 2012 1:18:56 PM

15. Everyone just needs to STFU. She used a similar FAKE fur in Bad Romance…What a bunch of queens…God, sometimes I really hate the gay community. Glad I don't "live" in it. Get a life.

Posted by: wonderer | Aug 13, 2012 1:20:07 PM

16. @Rick

Actually, per my last note, I don't think I want to spend anymore time trying to reach you.

Three weeks ago, I was in Bukavu, in the DRC. My brother works out of there most of the time, and I spent a good portion of my early 20s trying to help people in the region after the wars. I don't get back as often as I like anymore - I tend to be in the UK, Canada, the US, or Kenya these days.

But the reason I kept going back to the DRC - which can be one of the worst places in the world - is because I met people who needed my help and - more importantly - wanted to be helped. People wanted their lives to change - and I was in a position to do something about it.

My point about all this is: I think you've led a rough life, if even a portion of what you've alluded from it is true. And when you post these often terrible things, my first impulse isn't to break you down, but to help you see how your past experiences don't have to define your present perception of the world.

But I realize now that I can't really help you, because you don't want to be helped. You don't see what's wrong with how you view things.

So I don't think I'm going to respond to any of your posts anymore. But brother, I hope that you take care of yourself, and hopefully find some peace in the future.

Posted by: Nat | Aug 13, 2012 1:33:32 PM

17. I don't know why PETA is still around. I support PETA's general idea with better treatment for animals. I don't support their approach to it though.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 13, 2012 1:42:21 PM

18. Oh...I see...because it *looks* like a wolf, it must be an *actual* wolf. I get it. Magical thinking at work here: If you merely think it's real, then it is real.

It seems some people have fallen for the illusion and can't handle the fact that something that isn't real isn't...well, you know...*real.*

Posted by: Rrhain | Aug 13, 2012 2:10:38 PM

19. I think it would be awesome if one day, some angry PETA-terrorist flour-bombed someone with a Contact-Allergy to Wheat/Flour. Assault in the Second Degree?

Posted by: Esras | Aug 13, 2012 2:20:30 PM

20. this may come as a shock to some people, but despite making a living playing maniacs, Dennis Hopper didn't actually spend his life murdering people, nor did he support murdering people.

he was this thing called an "ac-tor"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 13, 2012 2:20:47 PM

21. Going veggie is very fey.

Sorry, Rick.

Posted by: endo | Aug 13, 2012 2:30:01 PM

22. Thanks Kiwi...a voice of reason as usual.
    I wonder if Rick needs a megachurch of his own...or maybe just a really big mirror to watch himself talk nonsense. Either way, he could sure use a hobby.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Aug 13, 2012 2:31:26 PM

23. "...So many gay men are totally delusional about these women and about women in general..."

Unfortunately this is true. One of them calls himself "Rick" and frequently posts comments on Towleroad.

Seriously, it's like giving the "Peggy" character from Sybil a keyboard and internet access so she can rant about Divas...I mean her mother.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Aug 13, 2012 2:49:38 PM

24. I can't stand PETA. They make me want to wear fur just to piss them off. Using fear, intimidation and threats of violence to change someones political views is the very definition of a terrorist organization.

Posted by: Txstevo | Aug 13, 2012 3:14:12 PM

25. Wait so they target her when she wears fur, but not a dress made out of beef? Makes sense PETA.

Posted by: Phil | Aug 13, 2012 4:01:35 PM