Comments

1. Jeffrey in St. Louis says

I like this song. I guess it’s peaceful, but I’d probably describe it as upbeat, hopeful, and catchy. I found myself bouncing along to the rhythm. And I really like Phillips’ voice.

Good song.

2. Kyle says

I really enjoyed that. I’ve never been a huge Idol fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed Phillip Phillip’s rise on the show. Truly a talented musician.

3. UFFDA says

RICK R – it’s endemic to the species and Jason is especially well known for it. I join it too often myself because it’s also kinda fun. But it’s nice to get away and good to be called on it as well. Best.

4. Brian in Texas says

This is by far the best American Idol “winners” single they’ve produced. The others always sound like some syrupy platitude laced dribble.

5. AJ says

I’m a terrible person. I admit I didn’t listen to the song based solely on my seething hatred for country bumpkin-a55 homophobic BS American Idol. I am bored at work so I listened to it and I HEART IT! This dude has actually got talent and it’s the best first song by any of them. But I STILL think his name is boring. LOL

6. TampaZeke says

I became bored with PP on Idol. As the competition went on I thought his songs all started sounding the same. I thought he was too “one note” to be interesting long-term, but I LOVE this song! Beautiful, touching and performed very well.

Well done Phillip!

7. JAMES in Toronto says

@AJ – I think that his name is a bit odd, although his father has the same name as well.

However, he’s got a number of nicknames, that he revealed on one of the shows. The one that I really like is “Phillip squared”.

8. JAMES in Toronto says

9. Don says

@rick roberts,
    What’s ironic is that your post fits more accurately into the bitchy catagory than Jason’s post. I think Jason’s post was a pretty mild way of saying he thought the song was boring; what, someone can’t even voice their option on a consumer based “product” without some queen getting up on her soapbox? Lighten up! Not everything has to be glitter and rainbows. Take a deep breath everything will be alright.

10. Sean says

As nice as Mr. Philips is, he doesn’t have blockbuster talent. American Idol has truly jumped the shark as none of the most recent “winners” were the most talented or most successful. The core of the problem is the voting system that allows multiple voting per account or telephone. With that, pre-teen girls have consistently voted for “guys with a guitar” or other such vanila fantasies of adolescents and pre-adolescents.

It’s time to retire American Idol, or, to revamp the voting system.

11. Brad says

I don’t think there’s anything special about it. It’s ok. I certainly wouldn’t buy it. I think it’s great to see fresh young talent in the spotlight though.

12. Chris Waddling says

We avoided Idol this year, but I’m glad to hear that they have produced yet another artist may have the potential to live up to Clarkson, Lambert, and Underwood, and who may be more than just a flash in the pan.

13. MattS says

@Brian in Texas, I was going to write the same thing about “Home” being one of the best “out-of-the-gate” singles for an AI winner. Phillip performed this single on the last night of performances and it really stood out to me. The fact that it has been used as the background music for the US Olympics Women’s team background stories could help launch this single to a top 10 hit, if it hasn’t already.

Phillip did say that his music won’t be indicative of this sound and style, which is unfortunate. I like “Home” much better than most of the stuff he sang live. He is very talented, though, and I can see him doing well long term. His music and style plays well to men and women.