Aaron Schock | Gay Marriage | News | Republican National Convention | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Rep. Aaron Schock Speaks His Mind on Gay Marriage, DOMA

Schock

Buzzfeed's Chris Geidner caught up with Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL, pictured above, right, in June, 2010) at "Newt U" in Tampa at the Republican National Convention on Monday, and questioned him about LGBT marriage issues.

Schock seemed uninformed about measures in the Land of Lincoln:

Asked about ongoing lawsuits brought in Illinois by the American Civil Liberties Union and Lambda Legal seeking marriage equality in his state, Schock replied he was unaware of their existence, saying, “That’s all news to me.”

He disagreed with Obama's order to the DOJ to stop defending Section 3 of DOMA in court:

“I think that it’s important for us to follow the law of the land. And so I think if we’re going to have a debate federally, like the president has started with him changing his position on gay marriage, then that’s all fine and well,” he said. “But, I think what’s more harmful is that, no matter who the president is ... I don’t think you just say to your chief law enforcement officer, the attorney general, ‘Hey, don’t enforce the law because I don’t agree with it.’"

He believes marriage should be left to the states but is not sure about how he feels on a federal marriage amendment:

When it was explained to him that a federal marriage amendment that would prohibit states from allowing same-sex couples to marry under their state's law, he then hedged, saying, “I haven’t really thought too much about it.”

He then asked if the amendment had been voted on in Congress in the past four years. When told that it hadn’t and that he had not taken a position on it yet, he replied, laughing, “I’ll have to read it.”

BuzzFeed has a request in to his office get an answer on whether or not he supports the amendment.

Read Geidner's full interview here.

You may recall schock as the Congressman with the six pack.

Comments

1. here is his DEM challenger

a farmer and a former master sergeant in the Air force

donate if you can

Posted by: say what | Aug 28, 2012 2:37:48 PM

2. sorry that link is from the dem primaries

here is his official campaign site

Posted by: say what | Aug 28, 2012 2:39:11 PM

3. @ENDO:

Scoff all you want. You think most guys know who the hell Schock is? No, they're too busy looking below the belt. Put him in a bar full of cute gay guys and I'll give you $500 if you can find 5 people who recognize him without any hints.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 28, 2012 2:56:34 PM

4. @ENDO:

Posted by: Jack | Aug 28, 2012 2:56:35 PM

5. Jack, sweets, you specifically said Chicago and DC bars. Yes, I guarantee you most guys in those cities, especially in DC, know who Aaron Schock is.

I'll keep scoffing. You keep lying.

Posted by: endo | Aug 28, 2012 4:03:23 PM

6. I live in Chicago area also, and yeah, I don't buy that he would go to the gay bars here. It would be ALL over the place if it were true.

Posted by: Astro | Aug 28, 2012 4:30:01 PM

7. "Duuuuude, what do you want from me? Significant legislation, or even, like, to be all politically-informed? I have an ab machine!"

Posted by: Gry | Aug 28, 2012 8:54:40 PM

8. Whatever he is, he is one fine looking man.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 28, 2012 10:11:09 PM

9. Come On Now! Is it new news that Aaron's gayer than a Pride parade? Aaron has worked out his Crew Club membership card harder than my gay ass...and that's sayin' somethin'!

Posted by: Rich | Aug 28, 2012 10:50:03 PM

10. Why o why are so many people having a hard time with the two vocabulary words "Defend" and "Enforce?" DOJ is clearly enforcing section 3 of DOMA, however they refuse to DEFEND it in court....those are two separate items. Any jackass out there who uses them incorrectly or thinks it is OK to use them interchangebly should think again. Prez ordered DOJ to stop defending the stupid law...under his executive authority he has the right/privilege to do so. this act is not unheard of. However, he has NOT broken the law by refusing to enforce a pre-existing law. Why can't we get this right?

Posted by: Daniel | Aug 29, 2012 1:23:54 AM

11. Archie comics should use him for a GOP "in the closet" Log Cabin/Proud character!

Posted by: Bryce | Sep 3, 2012 10:39:02 PM