Gay Slurs | News | Virginia

Virginia Auto Repair Shop Stands up for Bullied Gay Teen, Restores, Improves His Slur-Laden Car: VIDEO

Addison

Here's a Roanoke, Virginia business worth applauding.

WTVR reports:

Jordan Addison told WDBJ-TV that his car was vandalized four times between March and May of this year and that someone even keyed “die” into the side of the vehicle because he is gay.

Addison said the lowest estimate he received to fix the car was $2,500, but that he just couldn’t afford to repair it. Some Roanoke businesses heard what happened and pitched in to fix the damage for free.

“Once I saw the vandalism that was done to it I said that’s uncalled for we’re gonna fix your car that’s the least we can do,” said Quality Auto Paint and Body’s Richard Henegar Jr.

The auto body shop repainted the car and even added in $10,000 worth of extras for Addison.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few moments to load...

Comments

1. Great story! Thanks for sharing this article!!

Posted by: Chicklets | Aug 21, 2012 9:07:14 PM

2. I'm four states away, Richard, so you can't see me, but I am standing and applauding.

Thank you so much for being an upstanding Roanoke resident and doing the right thing. And a HUGE thanks to all the other businesses that helped on Jordan's car.

Posted by: David | Aug 21, 2012 9:23:07 PM

3. I sent them a message of thanks. I wish I could do more. I hope their act of kindness comes back to them a hundred fold. I think it will. And, yes, I'm a bit verklempt.

Posted by: StarGem | Aug 21, 2012 10:12:54 PM

4. You can't possibly imagine how happy watching that video made me. If I wasn't on the other side of the country, I would definitely try to patronize those businesses.

Posted by: jsb | Aug 21, 2012 11:18:10 PM

5. Sometimes there is goodness and decency in the world...

Posted by: Ben Ragunton | Aug 21, 2012 11:30:19 PM

6. I went to school with Richard Henegar back in the 70's and he was a great guy then and shounds like he did a great job raising his son, congracts to the henegars and i hope business booms !!!

Posted by: Greg Barton | Aug 21, 2012 11:57:04 PM

7. The news reporter says that the smile on Addison's face is priceless. I'd say the smile on Richard Jr.'s face is just as priceless. There's great happiness in doing good and offering kindness. Awesomeness from everyone involved - I hope it comes back ten-fold.

Posted by: Mitch | Aug 22, 2012 12:21:45 AM

8. RICHARD JR, you're a very beautiful man, inside and out, thank you so much, and by the way, you have great tattoos ;)

Posted by: willyag | Aug 22, 2012 12:39:13 AM

9. All the Lgbt and progressive folks in that area should make sure that they give their business to all the good business people who did this good deed.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 22, 2012 12:40:17 AM

10. Nice to see there most Americans are truly accepting in helping a victim of homophobia. It would be nice to here if the University where the vandalism actually happened will police, catch and prosecute the scum that victimize people like Richard for just being "who they are"

Posted by: Darrell | Aug 22, 2012 2:57:35 AM

11. AWESOME!
    Richard and all the vendors strengthened my belief in the goodness of people. Blessed be.

Posted by: truthteller | Aug 22, 2012 3:10:51 AM

12. Wow. I love it! A story that doesn't involve scandal, or a fame whore, or some wretched over-exposed flavor-of-the-moment. Oh, wait. They're both the same thing.

Posted by: Joe De Hoyos | Aug 22, 2012 4:33:02 AM

13. There are still some good people in this world.

Posted by: BoogerFree | Aug 22, 2012 7:15:03 AM

14. Richard Jr., mere words can never convey the depth of my amazement and gratitude for what you and the others in Roanoke did for that man. It's really breathtaking. Thank you so much.

Posted by: Shocked | Aug 22, 2012 9:28:36 AM

15. Such a great story! Love the positive stuff on here!

Posted by: Marco P | Aug 22, 2012 11:19:39 AM

16. CALL THEM AND THANK THEM...this deserves our support. and it just takes a second to acknowledge their kindness.

Posted by: HOMO U DINT | Aug 22, 2012 11:58:29 AM

17. Next time I need some auto work done, I'm going to drive down to Roanoke from NYC and give those kind people my business. An amazing gesture of compassion and goodwill. Makes me think that America isn't all hopeless in this age of republicon bigotry.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 22, 2012 12:06:26 PM

18. Richard Jr - Thank you. For all of the rotten stories we hear this one makes up for 100 of them. You are a good man with a good soul. Thank you again.

Posted by: Jonathan | Aug 22, 2012 1:18:34 PM

19. These guys are freakin AMAZING- true American heroes!!! God bless them

Posted by: Scott | Aug 22, 2012 1:23:12 PM

20. That's pretty awsome of those folks, it's about time to live and let live, the punks that did this most likely have a skeleton in they're closet and if someone knew it maybe the same would happen to them so lighten up "haters".

Posted by: bobby | Aug 22, 2012 6:32:15 PM

21. @ Rick

"Gay men treating each other like crap--what else is new in the world?"

I don't doubt that Klein is gay. But how do you know that the boytoy is also gay?

Don't heteros treat each other just as bad after a terrible breakup? And above that, whatever Klein had with this likely-heterosexual opportunist was hardly a "relationship" by definition of mutual feelings. That person was a sex worker, and the relationship was "professional" in nature. If Klein chose to foolishily taking it personally, he is entitled to be personally stupid & self-deceiving.

In the hetero world, it is said that woman is man's greatest weakness. In the gay world we are more objective by saying that a man's weakness is his lack of wisdom, and excess of money LOL.

This story is so "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil", and the term to describe Klein is "guilty by association". He thought he had bought a manly package of handsome face and wellbiult body, but he got more than he bargained for after knowing that the "merchandise" also has brain to a degree and can write. So why shouldn't Klein be happy about it LOL?

Posted by: Faresalis | Aug 22, 2012 9:15:20 PM

22. What a wonderful story. See what happens when Christian values are used for love and not hate? A lot of stuff gets done... Special thanks to Mr. Henegar...you a one-in-a-million, sir. Jesus would be proud.

Posted by: millerbeach | Aug 23, 2012 4:07:50 AM

23. Greetings,

I tried to find individual contacts for all the auto places in Vinton that made this happen, so I could send a "thank you" for stepping up and doing the Right Thing, but can't seem to find any. Wow, this gives me a whole new outlook on the people of Virginia. It's so great to see that with all the crap in the world, there are still good people everywhere!

MM, Madison, WI

Posted by: Michael Mitchell | Aug 24, 2012 10:36:33 AM

24. To see that look of joy on Addison's face after knowing he endured a series of painful and humiliating hate crimes, it is nice to see both his property and dignity restored thanks to the help of loving folks within his community.

Posted by: Giuseppe | Aug 27, 2012 6:16:44 PM

25. Great to hear a man like Richard Jr exists. I hope all the GBLT community in his business area respond by giving him business. You did good Jr. Thank you.

Posted by: Ladislav | Aug 29, 2012 1:59:26 PM