News | Piers Morgan | Roseanne Barr

BigGayDeal.com

Roseanne Barr's Love Life Is Not Like Those Of Her Gay Siblings: VIDEO

RoseanneMorgan

Comedienne and quixotic presidential candidate Roseanne Barr will appear on tonight's installment of Piers Morgan Tonight, um, tonight, and to whet the public's appetite, CNN released video of Barr discussing her love life.

Asks Morgan, "How many times have you been properly in love in your life?" to which Barr replies:

There were many times in my life where I was in love, I'll just have to say that, many times… And I happen to be in love right now. I'm not like my gay sister, and my gay brother that have both been with the same partner for 25 and 26 years, respectively. I, as a straight person, have not been able to hold any relationship together as well as they [can].

Watch Barr's remarks AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. If only I could get my face down in her muff, THEN I'd FINALLY feel like a REAL MAN...

Posted by: LITTLEKIWI | Aug 9, 2012 8:40:53 PM

2. A real something, anyway.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Aug 9, 2012 9:25:01 PM

3. She is a rude and vulgar woman. Like Howard Stern we on the progressive side of politics would be better off without them. Someone should tell her that Pat Paulson, another no talent comedian, already did her pretend race for president over 45 years ago. She reminds me of Snooki of Jersey Shore. Except Snooki has some talent.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 9, 2012 9:57:56 PM

4. The comments in here are ridiculously stupid.

Posted by: Kev | Aug 9, 2012 10:03:02 PM

5. Kev, the comments here are no more stupid than Roseanne trying to run for president. So what if she supports gay rights? Does that mean we automatically have to like her even though she's a nutcase?

Posted by: HOseanne | Aug 9, 2012 10:06:18 PM

6. Patronizing hag.

Posted by: Tom | Aug 9, 2012 10:09:23 PM

7. Roseanne, I had a gay sibling as well. He went to Canada in 1969 at age 19. He went on to become a writer and well respected gay activist. His works are housed in the Gay and Lesbian Archieves in Canada. He wrote this about gay marriage:

"This grand struggle over one word has ever put symbolism over substance, sentiment over sense, "respectability" over true self-respect. What might have been an effort to win legal respect for a range of human relationships was instead made a "gay issue." By gay people themselves -- finding it "strategic" to play oppressed victims."

"Gay" was once seen as a nice little word abducted by perverts for immoral purposes. It has now been adopted by nice couples hoping to trot it out in "respectable" drag. And by marketers hawking it, wrapped in rainbows, as a glamorous consumer "lifestyle." Maybe the rest of us need to find a new word."

God bless my sibling.

Posted by: Gary | Aug 9, 2012 10:10:24 PM

8. Yes, the comments on here are dumber than Roseanne running for president. And I'm not defending Roseanne's publicity stunt.

Posted by: Kev | Aug 9, 2012 10:19:44 PM

9. Roseanne is great. She has been a great advocate for progressive causes dating all the way back to when her show was a hit in the 90s. She openly supported gay rights and union rights repeatedly in the writing of her show ... I remember as a kid watching an episode centered around the outing of her co-worker who might be fired for being gay and how she stood up for him. It was quite something to see as a kid, and it stuck with me.

Posted by: reality | Aug 9, 2012 10:21:50 PM

10. Wow... I think I'm done reading the comment threads on this site.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 9, 2012 10:22:00 PM

11. Oh... @REALITY ...Maybe you've restored my faith.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 9, 2012 10:23:29 PM

12. @Kev: Nothing or no one is dumber than Roseanne Barr. She has a face meant for radio but a voice meant for silence.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 9, 2012 10:27:36 PM

13. All of the hate on here surprises me - Roseanne has been a LGBTQ supporter as far back as I can remember. And she's damn funny, too - can't wait to watch her roast this weekend.

Posted by: pc | Aug 9, 2012 10:28:16 PM

14. A lot of holier-than-though a-holes who do little to advance the cause seem to be posting today—what fabulous efforts do you make IRL? And GARY, your sibling sounds more than just a little pretentious.

Posted by: David R. | Aug 9, 2012 10:33:06 PM

15. Just because someone says they support LGBT (I don't know what the Q means) rights doesn't mean that I should ignore the facts that they are rude, crude, vulgar and are as dumb as a brick.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 9, 2012 10:42:45 PM

16. The New Gay Hate List
    1. People who don't support us.
    2. People who support us, but not in the approved way.
    3. People who support us, but aren't the type of people with whom we would socialize.
    4. People who support us, but not if they're straight.
    5. People who support us, but not if they're Christian.
    6. People who are gay, but support any of the preceding individuals.
    7. People who are gay, but aren't the accepted standard of attractiveness in accordance to the whim of gay society as a whole.

Did I leave anyone out?

Posted by: yuninv | Aug 9, 2012 10:52:29 PM

17. Gary, I'm just one guy, but I can assure you that my marriage's respectability has nothing to do with drag and everything to do with bringing two people and two families together. It's about in-laws, nieces, and nephews. It's about having our relationship recognized like any other, and mutual responsibility. I'm sorry you and your brother can't share in that.

He may have written some debatable words down, but I'm undeniably standing up for gay rights every damn time I mention my husband or leave my house with a ring on my finger.

And I can't say I'm sorry for this at all. We're the opposite of victims, and have done what WE wanted to. And we don't plan of giving it back.

Posted by: Mousie | Aug 9, 2012 11:04:06 PM

18. And where are you, Andrew? Hagging on a very successful comedienne on some random website.

The universe has chose wisely here, I think.

Posted by: Dan | Aug 9, 2012 11:04:23 PM

19. @Gary: The only reason gay couples do not have equality, including federal marriage equality in the US, is discrimination. Equality. Nothing more, nothing less. That doesn't mean every gay person has to get married, or even care about marriage. The point is for everyone to have an equal choice about how they conduct their lives. That doesn't dismiss your brother's activism.

As for Roseanne, yep, she's always been kind of a mess, but she's on our side. The most important thing she pointed out here is that, often times, gay relationships last a helluva lot longer than straight ones, and she's the rare straight person who puts that reality on the table.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 9, 2012 11:24:40 PM

20. @ YUNINV: that list really made me think.

And I agree with the concern in general about how negative these comment threads have gotten lately.

Posted by: MonkeyPuzzle | Aug 9, 2012 11:58:06 PM

21. A straight ally speaks out for us in a sensible and positive way and all you jealous, bitter queens attack her !
    THIS is the reason we have no legal rights ! We are idiots.

Roseanne has been a constant supporter of ours for years. She won many award in the early 1990's for portraying gay people positively in her TV show. It may not seem like much now but back then very very few TV shows had the guts to include gay characters.

I am ashamed of being gay when I read these pathetic, childish comments. It's time to EDUCATE yourselves. YOU are the ones who are holding us back !

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 10, 2012 12:35:33 AM

22. My brother Rick died in 2009 after having been diagnosed HIV+ in the late 80's. The writings that appear were written in 2001, so he was ahead of the curve. He resented the way gays were turning marriage into "The Holy Grail" He felt that gays were losing their culture by copying the heterosexual model. He felt homosexuals to be special -- to quote, we gays are "seeing the world from a distinctly queer place -- a perspective oblique, maybe, but precisely because of that informed, revealing, powerful." So we should be proud to have this unique perspective And I think we all know what that is, regardless of what comes next.

Posted by: Gary | Aug 10, 2012 12:36:49 AM

23. @Gary, Um... but we really aren't that special. Isn't that the point? We are just like everyone else! "We're unique like everyone else..."

Posted by: JesseJo | Aug 10, 2012 1:07:53 AM

24. He's still asking the "properly in love" question? I thought he gave that up after Rosie O called him out for asking that same question over and over again.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Aug 10, 2012 1:12:28 AM

25. @ GARY-no offense to your brother, but, what is that supposed to mean?

Is that implying that homosexual peoples are really twisted, confused pervs by definition, and "gay" is too mainstream, and you or your brother need a new word to make homosexual sound edgy or daring- or glamorous ? Why, if that is the case?

Again, no offense, but your words sound like the beginnings of arguments from conservatives against marriage equality- who say that being gay is all about being rebellious, and daring, and against the flow- when that isn't what "being gay" or whatever is all about. That kind of argument is just a cop-out to get out of being accused of homophobia. Being gay isn't a choice- it's simply who you are. It doesn't make me or anyone of us more or less special to be gay.

The gay rights movement isn't about being this kind of gay or that kind of gay- it's about showing the rest of the world we are people, too- and advocating and fighting for equal rights and respect. It isn't about preserving this definition of gay or that bit of gay culture- our community is so diverse we don't need to get wrapped up in silly arguments over "what it means to be a gay man/lesbian woman." We share one uniting, wonderful factor- that we love. And that is what we are fighting for- the chance to love and be loved as every person who comes into this world wants to be.

Posted by: scott | Aug 10, 2012 1:57:09 AM