Discrimination | News | Seattle

Seattle's 'Great Wheel' Challenges Claim Gay Man Was Kicked Off Ride for Holding Hands and Kissing

Seattle resident Jason Jacobs says he and his boyfriend were kicked off Seattle's new tourist attraction, the Great Wheel, for holding hands and kissing on the ride:

JacobsTo my friends in Seattle and elsewhere, You should know if you are gay you run the risk of being bullied, harassed, and denied to ride The Seattle Great Wheel. Last night after paying $50 per person to ride on the VIP car, and waiting for over an hour, my date and i were asked, more like escorted, off the ride. They demanded the tshirts you get when paying to ride in the VIP car, refunded the tickets, then walked us off the property. This this happened only after my date and i held hands getting on the ride, sat down in the car and shared a little kiss. This isn't how Seattle normally treats people. We don't want this attraction and the Managment to give Seattle a bad reputation. Boycott The Seattle Great Wheel & make a call to action and help get some media attention to address this act of discrimination in our community.

The Seattle Great Wheel fired back on its Facebook page, claiming Jacobs and his companion were being unruly:

The Seattle Great Wheel welcomes people from all different backgrounds and lifestyles. We have never and will never discriminate against someone based on race, religion, sexual orientation or ethnicity. We do, however, reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who fails to cooperate with our safety guidelines and rules. We love and look forward to serving everyone who wants to enjoy the Seattle Great Wheel.

The allegations against the Seattle Great Wheel are totally false. Our company has a long history of serving and employing members of the GBLT community and we are deeply saddened that we are being labeled as homophobic. The two individuals were asked to leave because of their behavior, which included putting their shoes on the leather seats and acting disrespectfully and unruly to our staff. Their behavior delayed the operation of the wheel for several minutes, disrupting the ride for our other passengers. We politely asked them to leave after they refused to cooperate, and they were given a full refund. Our staff was unaware of their sexual orientation and that played no role in their being asked to leave. We look forward to having everyone ride the wheel, including our friends in Seattle's GBLT community.

According to KIRO, Jacobs was refunded his money for the ride, but wants "an apology and more sensitivity training for the staff."

Comments

1. @DH: What do you think that lifestyle means? It's how you live your life. Stop taking offense to normal words.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 8, 2012 1:14:42 PM

2. I would not hesitate to put rude drama queens in their place as customers. I've met a few.

Posted by: nikko | Aug 8, 2012 1:30:07 PM

3. Sorry to say, but from my own personal experience, it's hard to believe anything that Jason says.

Posted by: R. | Aug 8, 2012 1:37:06 PM

4. Another vote for the Wheel staff. Sounds like someone took the "VIP" status way too far.

And people object to the "lifestyle" term because it is often used with the argument that being gay is a choice. I do think a lot of people just don't know better when they say that. But a sexual orientation is not a "lifestyle" and never will be.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Aug 8, 2012 2:53:23 PM

5. I vote wheel.

Posted by: Moe | Aug 8, 2012 3:11:45 PM

6. A follow up to this story posted in SeattleGayScene (for those not in S-town), a drag queen (*Mama Tits) took her entourage for a follow-up visit yesterday and experienced no homophobia whatsoever. Don't know the guy personally, but I'm with the Wheel on this one.

Posted by: jdawg | Aug 8, 2012 3:20:11 PM

7. Witnessing OBNOXIOUS people of ALL orientations constantly...I'm with The Wheel on this one too.

Posted by: jack | Aug 8, 2012 3:41:45 PM

8. I can't believe no one picked up the Wheel's LGBT acronym mixup. They said "GLBT" twice in their release. Forget the word "lifestyle" ---what's a Gay BLT?

I'll agree with PDX Guy, too. When someone uses lifestyle in reference to sexuality, it makes my skin crawl. Outside of that, WE ALL HAVE A LIFESTYLE. Just a word, kids.

Posted by: KDNA | Aug 8, 2012 3:58:02 PM

9. This is obviously a lie by the company. If the guys were holding hands then how can they claim their staff didn't know they were gay ?

Also, if they were being rude and unruly why were they given a refund ?

I believe the gays in this story. The wheel company is now trying to avoid the bad publicity associated with it's homo hating staff.

I hope more people boycott this over-hyped wheel ride. I mean, $50 just for that ??!!

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 8, 2012 5:07:07 PM

10. It amazes me how everyone is so quick to jump behind one side or the other when its impossible for any of us to know exactly what happened here. The Wheel's PR folks put together a good response but they did so without speaking to the customers and have refused on camera interviews with both TV stations that ran a report (Q13 and KIRO TV). What we do know is that there was a heated exchange where both sides may have been less than polite and in the end (according to Jacobs) he said we don't need "your kind." If that in fact happened, then that's pretty clearly an anti-gay statement.

Posted by: CHUCK | Aug 8, 2012 5:15:41 PM

11. It amazes me how everyone is so quick to jump behind one side or the other when its impossible for any of us to know exactly what happened here. The Wheel's PR folks put together a good response but they did so without speaking to the customers and have refused on camera interviews with both TV stations that ran a report (Q13 and KIRO TV). What we do know is that there was a heated exchange where both sides may have been less than polite and in the end (according to Jacobs) he said we don't need "your kind." If that in fact happened, then that's pretty clearly an anti-gay statement.

Posted by: CHUCK | Aug 8, 2012 5:15:42 PM

12. @NaughtyLola: I did not know that. Well, I'm on the Wheel's side then, judging by all of additional information gleaned since I first read about this story.

They shouldn't have used the word "lifestyle", but that's pretty much where their culpability ended.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Aug 8, 2012 5:25:54 PM

13. The management of the wheel was not truthful in their statement when they said they did not know the sexual orientation of the two men. According to the 10 minute story on Kiro radio, the guys were holding hands and enjoying a conversation with a pilot and his wife prior to getting on the ride. Let's not jump behind the wheel too quick. I'm with the gay couple.

Posted by: Alan F. | Aug 8, 2012 5:28:20 PM

14. First, who pays $50 to ride a Ferris Wheel (or fairy wheel)? :) On a serious note, even if the gay couple was rude, why would they throw them off for putting their feet on the seats? I'm not buying the Wheel's story. I'm going with Jacobs.

Posted by: Leonard | Aug 8, 2012 5:52:36 PM

15. @Richard, I don't believe you. You are an idiot. One vote for the gays!

Posted by: C.S. | Aug 8, 2012 5:56:29 PM

16. @Richard, I don't believe you. You are an idiot. One vote for the gays!

Posted by: C.S. | Aug 8, 2012 5:56:30 PM

17. I'm with the wheel. I heard it was a lot more than a small kiss and holding hands that got them in trouble.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 8, 2012 6:33:48 PM

18. It's not "edgy" nor "unique" to immediately take the side against a gay couple, I'm sorry to say.

Posted by: Lance | Aug 8, 2012 7:18:21 PM

19. No doubt that both sides probably can share the blame in the heat of the moment. But it takelos great deal of courage to go on TV in front of a camera and defend yourself when you have been discriminated against. Jason had done this and he might be somewhat in the wrong but I doubt he would go to all that trouble if there wasn't some truth to his claims. Folks, let's show some respect to the gays and thank them for the courage to stand up for the rest of us. Thanks Jason.

Posted by: BottomDrawer Guy | Aug 8, 2012 7:22:51 PM

20. One more vote for the gayboys. Please treat the gaysboys. Not believin the homophobic employee.

Posted by: Duct T. | Aug 8, 2012 7:38:40 PM

21. I agree with you "bottomdrawer guy", there are always two sides to a story. However, it seems unlikely to me that someone would make a serious post knowing there would be plenty of commentary unless there was some level of truth regarding the incident. And, for all those calling "gay" a lifestyle need a bit of education. Sure, there are people that experiment sexually, but if you are truly LGBTQ it wasn't a choice it is your life, you were born just as you are. Bless you Jacobs for standing up even when it means you will be challenged!!!

Posted by: Safesurge | Aug 8, 2012 8:02:02 PM

22. The gay couple has been on TV but the Wheel management has been curiously absent. If they are so sure there was no wrong doing on their then maybe they should stop hiding behind their Facebook post and make a live statement.

Posted by: BOTTOMDRAWER GUY | Aug 8, 2012 8:13:30 PM

23. And yet again, "BOTTOMDRAWER GUY", I agree with you. If they have nothing to hide then the owners/operators of SGW should be courageous enough to go on camera and make their statement. I've been in business for far too many years to know that when a company is falsely accused of something they are quick to get on the air and defend their position. It seems strangely curious the only comments from the owner/operators has been on Facebook. If they believe they were doing the right thing , then why be afraid of talking to the press???

Posted by: Safesurge | Aug 8, 2012 8:53:30 PM

24. JASON!! THANKS FOR HAVING THE COURAGE TO STAND UP FOR ALL OF US. I DON'T KNOW YOU BUT I LOVE YOU.

Posted by: EndUp Dive | Aug 8, 2012 11:48:37 PM

25. I see the perpetrator or his cronies have shown up here suddenly to try to spin the story in his direction.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Aug 9, 2012 2:58:48 AM