News | Ryan Murphy | Surrogacy | Television | The New Normal

Watch the First Full Episode of NBC's 'The New Normal': VIDEO

Newnormal

Watch the first episode of The New Normal, the new NBC Ryan Murphy comedy about two gay dads, their surrogate, and their kid which has been banned by Mormon-owned Salt Lake City affiliate KSL-TV, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Jeff Simpson, CEO of KSL’s parent company, Bonneville International: "From time to time we may struggle with content that crosses the line in one area or another. The dialogue might be excessively rude and crude. The scenes may be too explicit or the characterizations might seem offensive ... For our brand, this program feels inappropriate on several dimensions, especially during family viewing time."

Watch the full pilot episode, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Proxy required for out-of-US viewing.

Posted by: MikeW | Aug 29, 2012 12:15:54 PM

2. Canadian viewers can watch via CTV's site:

Posted by: Paul | Aug 29, 2012 12:52:49 PM

3. Better than I expected. Has some heart.

Posted by: James C | Aug 29, 2012 12:53:48 PM

4. I already told my mother not to get any ideas.

Posted by: qj201 | Aug 29, 2012 12:56:49 PM

5. I didn't think I'd like it, but I did.

What I really like, though, is that it addresses a good subject. A lot of young gay people think, when they come out, that they have to choose whether to be personally happy by coming out, or be able to have children some day. It's a false choice; people can do both.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 29, 2012 1:00:39 PM

6. @Ryan: Excellent point.

Posted by: Stefan | Aug 29, 2012 1:10:25 PM

7. A little canned but there is hope. It already made M/Moms crazy.....can't be all bad

Posted by: dar | Aug 29, 2012 1:28:57 PM

8. It has that obnoxious NeNe Leakes in it. Thanks, but I'll take a pass.

Posted by: David in Houston | Aug 29, 2012 1:37:09 PM

9. Great point. I always find it funny when someon says because they are gay they cannot be parent. Maybe 40 years ago, but not today. You can have it all as gay person - personal happiness, husband, and fatherhood. Go for it!

Posted by: rk | Aug 29, 2012 1:47:35 PM

10. It has a lot of promise, with the only major flaw being Nene Leaks.

Hopefully it will improve as it finds it's feet.

Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha make a great couple and Ellen Barkin is well cast as a Midwestern bigoted women.

Posted by: Blake | Aug 29, 2012 1:49:19 PM

11. Okay, I wanted to like this but had my reservations. By the opening credits, I was disgusted and wanted to turn it off. The show's nothing but hoary stereotypes! Nonetheless, I continued to watch because of the previously posted comments. Two-thirds of the way through, I shed a tear. By the end, I was bawling. Who's the stereotype now!? Well, my avatar name should be a clue. So, I liked it. It has charm. I doubt I'll be glued to my set every week, but it was fun to see it here.

Posted by: throwslikeagirl | Aug 29, 2012 1:52:38 PM

12. I'll DVR it. Truth is, some stereotypes are true!

Posted by: Stefano | Aug 29, 2012 2:02:34 PM

13. This is the best they could do? Honestly, I think it would have been better as a one-hour drama without all of the stereotyping. This was just wrong.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Aug 29, 2012 2:09:25 PM

14. I liked it.

Posted by: Mather | Aug 29, 2012 2:11:34 PM

15. loved it...

Posted by: Jay M | Aug 29, 2012 2:14:46 PM

16. My hopes were too high. Murphy refuses to show real displays of affection, the stereotypes are wincing and he treats surrogacy far too flippantly. Take the latter from one who has married and we now have a 5YO son through surrogacy.

I think Bartha is miscast and Rannells is perfect as is the very British Georgia King. Barkin I could do without and same for Lekes. Still, it is a show we will watch and support.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Aug 29, 2012 2:44:13 PM

17. meh, exactly what i expected it to be. not funny.

oh, lets make a show about some lily white, cis, conventionally attractive, upper middle to upper class, gay men with an all white cast save for the loud sassy black woman. SOOOOOO REVOLUTIONARY!

Posted by: new-new | Aug 29, 2012 2:45:33 PM

18. A tad overboard on stereotypes, but has room to grow and grow up. Pilots can be like that and still develop into something special as the screenwriters mature the concept of the show. This has the potential to keep watching for now.

Posted by: Craig | Aug 29, 2012 3:24:20 PM

19. I thought NeNe Leaks delivered her lines and hit the right comedic notes much better then Ellen Barkin, which surprised me. I did enjoy it, and will probably keep watching.

Posted by: Thomas | Aug 29, 2012 3:33:33 PM

20. they had me at "You can't return them to Barney's." and just it kept getting better. not too many shows make me laugh out loud. it did with the pilot.

the test is keeping it up...

Posted by: mike/ | Aug 29, 2012 4:31:57 PM

21. Take that, One Million, er...2000 Moms!! The most real family on TV!

Posted by: michaeld89119 | Aug 29, 2012 4:34:58 PM

22. Thank you, Paul.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 29, 2012 5:27:36 PM

23. My thoughts.

On the negative side, I thought the episode was a bit rushed. They were desperate to get to the ending, and push full speed ahead. The result is that the situation feels a bit...contrived. Things jelled just a bit too quickly.

Bartha's character suffered the most - so much attention was on his partner & Nana that we didn't get a good sense of who he was (making the "breakdown" with Goldie seem out of place). Goldie's character, too, need just a bit more screen time.

On the positive side, I thought the writers did a decent job, despite the rush. They did enough to make us like most of the characters and infuse the show with heart.

Unfortunately, I don't think they did enough. The show just wasn't all that funny. It was amusing at times, but people come to a comedy wanting those laugh-out-loud moments, and the episode just didn't deliver. I'm just not sure they did enough to attract viewers and keep the show going for more than 8 episodes.

Posted by: Talisman | Aug 29, 2012 6:23:35 PM

24. I see a lot of lucielle bluth channeling

Posted by: B | Aug 29, 2012 6:41:21 PM

25. Could have potential. A bit contrived and the cutaways seem like a Modern Family rip off. But, because Justin Bartha is probably the living, breathing image of perfection, I'll have to watch it.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Aug 29, 2012 6:48:01 PM