Chicago | Crime | News

BigGayDeal.com

Arrest Made In Stabbing Of Prosecutor Who Saved Gay Couple

DiazMugAn unidentified prosecutor from Illinois' Cook County became a hero earlier this month when he successfully stopped two men from beating up a gay couple. Unfortunately, said prosecutor was beaten and stabbed in the line of duty.

Now that he's on the mend, however, Chicago police say they have identified and arrested one of the alleged assailants, 21-year old Edgar Diaz, and charged him with attempted murder.

From WLS:

A man has been charged Sunday with attempting to murder a Cook County prosecutor who tried stopping an assault on two apparently gay men earlier this month in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, police said.

Edgar Diaz, 21, of the 5600 block of West Grand Avenue, was charged with two counts of aggravated battery in addition to one count of attempted murder, according to a statement from police News Affairs.

Diaz and the other man allegedly attacked the prosecutor after he yelled at them in an attempt to prevent a physical attack, officials said.

They slashed or stabbed the prosecutor multiple times, including cutting his face, right side and arms, state’s attorney’s office spokeswoman Sally Daly said.

Police said the victim was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center with "non-life-threatening injuries."

Diaz will appear in court today.

Comments

1. What a winner this fellow looks like... NOT!

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Sep 24, 2012 8:36:53 AM

2. To think that someone who is so insecure about his own sexuality and need to lash out at others to justify his own phobia. I cannot imagine the terrible sexual experience and relationship anyone who deem he is worthy of having with.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Sep 24, 2012 9:30:08 AM

3. The alleged perp is a obviously a gang member and thug. Even though as a society we spend a fortune on social services [public housing, subsidized housing, food, healthcare, the whole nine yards] and education, we still produce obscene numbers of animals like Edgar. Take my word from experience, guys like Edgar can't be reformed, they will never perform at the level necessary to succeed in an advanced post-industrial society like the U.S., and will always be a social problem in one way or another 'til the day he dies. In the meantime, he'll reproduce a new generation of thuglets, thugs and thugettes, who will also cost society a fortune during their life spans. NO, throwing more $ at this problem will do zip, nada, to help fix it. But we as a society don't have the kind of balls it takes to fix this problem. I'm afraid it will require be judgmental, harsh and 'mean spirited'. I know 'progressives' are fuming as they read this. The truth hurts.

Please don't counter with some talk about 'Wall Street', etc., I don't respect them anymore than I respect guys like Edgar.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 24, 2012 10:07:38 AM

4. @ratbastard: Just what are you suggesting? Sterilization? Euthanasia? You sound like you're envisioning a Final Solution.

Posted by: Mort | Sep 24, 2012 10:27:09 AM

5. This is what hate looks like. Ghetto piece of trash. I suggest y'all take martial arts or self-defense classes. I am and trust me, these losers will be surprised if you know how to properly defend yourself.

Posted by: Gonzo | Sep 24, 2012 10:39:00 AM

6. This is what hate looks like. Ghetto piece of trash. I suggest y'all take martial arts or self-defense classes. I am and trust me, these losers will be surprised if you know how to properly defend yourself.

Posted by: Gonzo | Sep 24, 2012 10:39:00 AM

7. Ratbastard, it's your truth because you're either not very bright, indoctrinated beyond edification, or just obnoxious. Rehabilitation does work, according to studies conducted by people much smarter than you apparently are. It's no one's job to educate you. You must do that yourself. Now go away and let the adults play. That said, he should go to prison for attempted murder. You see? Wasn't that easy?

Posted by: datlaw | Sep 24, 2012 10:44:01 AM

8. Another thing that bothers me is that the gay couple ran away from the scene, leaving the guy who defended them to get beat up. From what I understand, they still have not come forward.

Posted by: Rich | Sep 24, 2012 10:46:45 AM

9. "But we as a society don't have the kind of balls it takes to fix this problem."

"we"? What do you mean "we"? You're a homo. Half of f.cking society doesn't consider you part of "we".

Conservative homosexuals are a joke. A laugh out loud joke.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 24, 2012 10:46:50 AM

10. @DATLAW,

How much PRACTICAL experience do you have with this issue?

You have your OPINION, and I have mine. Like I've said, HUGE, MASSIVE sums of $ have been spent over just the last half century alone, especially on our 'War on Poverty', and the problem alive, well and kicking. Our policies don't work. Giving people all kinds of stuff from housing to food and healthcare [and of course education] simply doesn't appear to achieve the desired results among some people [and no, when I say 'some people' I'm not making a reference to any one particular ethnicity, race, religion, etc.].

Finally, the world is FULL of examples TERRIBLE ideas put forth by 'people much smarter than you apparently are...', ideas and ideologies that have resulted in wars, deaths of hundreds of millions of people, starvation, suffering beyond belief, etc. And the phrase 'people much smarter than you apparently are' is obnoxious, pretentious, and smug.

=====================

@Mort,

Do you see Nazis everywhere? Are you obsessed with Nazis and evil blond haired, blue eyed devils? The Nazi German government lasted less than 12 years, Mort, over 75 years ago. There are however other groups and ideologies that are similarly odious, have lasted far longer than the Nazis, without question murdered more people, and are still around and even chic and hip in some circles. I'd suggest, Mort, that these are the people most sane people need to worry about.

And the founders of our 'progressive' movement were strident Eugenicists, Mort.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 24, 2012 10:58:12 AM

11. I wouldn't judge him by his looks (actually, he's not bad looking in a rough tattooey way) but his actions show he's probably a dirtbag. But the only good thing about reports like this is that it kills Andrew Belonsky,. Any time a non-Caucasian gay-bashes he locks his lying p.c. ass in his dingey apartment and does frantic high kicks to "Born This Way" as if THAT will make the case go away.

Posted by: Yupp | Sep 24, 2012 11:13:14 AM

12. As a Latino, I am offended by your assertion that Edgar is "obviously" a gang member. Maybe he is. Maybe he just hates gay people. Being Latino doesn't make you a gang member. The point is, one person, not an entire section of the population did this. Do you go around saying, "See how these gays are?" every time a gay person did something wrong? No. You say that individual person did it. Stop making every incident an opportunity to demonize a whole sector of society, because there are people waiting to do the same thing to you.
    This is a horrible incident. And he is in big trouble for both his hate crime and for stabbing a prosecutor.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Sep 24, 2012 11:15:02 AM

13. These criminals are Spanish and most likely Catholic and he could be from one of the illegal gangs from south of the border who come to America to destroy it like the drug cartels have done south of the border, even the politicians work for the drug dealers there and now they have moved into America to do the same with the help of the Catholic church who helps them and protects them so they can be the majority religion in America and get the money from the drug dealers so they can become the dictators in America like they have done south of the border.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 24, 2012 12:57:54 PM

14. "You have your OPINION, and I have mine. Like I've said, HUGE, MASSIVE sums of $ have been spent over just the last half century alone, especially on our 'War on Poverty'"

Right-wing bullsh.t. Google Richard Nixon's policy of "Revenue Sharing"--it totally destroyed LBJ's programs.

"[and no, when I say 'some people' I'm not making a reference to any one particular ethnicity, race, religion, etc.]."

But ya' are, Rat...ya' are. (said with my best Bette Davis impersonation)

Rick,

you're not even coherent today. Please stop.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 24, 2012 1:14:39 PM

15. @Miguel R.,

Cut the caca,Miguel; you know perfectly well I'm referring to his particular tattoos.

@Derrick in Philly,

Derrick, you can't pull the wool over my eyes. I grew up in da hood. My eyes weren't lying. Nice try,though.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 24, 2012 2:46:54 PM

16. "But we as a society don't have the kind of balls it takes to fix this problem."

Truth that. We'll never adopt the social policies of places where this sort of thing is exceedingly rare, like Denmark...

And, Miguel R, "Being Latino doesn't make you a gang member." Does wearing gang tattoos on your cheeks make it more likely?

Posted by: BobN | Sep 24, 2012 2:49:44 PM

17. @BOBN,

Problem: The U.S. isn't Denmark. The U.S. is EXTREMELY 'multicultural' and diverse, it's a gigantic nation in both geographical size [vs Denmark] with the 3rd largest population of any nation on Earth [after China and India]. Scandinavia has various qualities about it that make it pretty unique among 'white' Euro nations, most likely a result of their being very isolated and homogeneous for a LONG time until quite recently. And in fact they're still homogeneous vs the U.S. Nothing wrong with that, I'm not knocking them. But they developed a culture that made sense for a place with harsh weather, small population and isolated people. That culture revolves around group-think, what's best for the group/tribe/nation as opposed to individuality, which the U.S. is ostensibly based on. They have a lot in common actually with Asian societies in this respect. The way Scandinavians do things wouldn't work in other European nations and certainly wouldn't work well in the U.S.

Posted by: phatty19899@yahoo.com | Sep 24, 2012 3:23:36 PM

18. Has anyone ever found out if the "gay" couple he was defending came to his defense when he was being attacked? To me this is a very important part of the story.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 24, 2012 11:38:52 PM

19. I thought all the smart folks abandoned Chicago 5 years ago when it became the cauldrom for latin gang violence & ground zero for illegal aliens. It's become what NYC was in the 1980's when Dinkins was Mayor.

Posted by: mikeflower | Sep 25, 2012 12:14:04 AM

20. All I can say is, BANG, one dead thug.
    I am armed and very dangerous.
    I love my partner to the point I would die for him or kill another in his or my defense.

Posted by: Austin | Sep 25, 2012 12:20:36 AM

21. @Ratbastard: What are your solutions to the problems of the Edgars of this nation?

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 25, 2012 1:11:50 AM

22. @ Andrew , I read that the gay couple just ran away. Ugh, I know, I know...

Posted by: Yupp | Sep 25, 2012 3:24:00 AM

23. Get a concealed carry permit and visit the range twice a month. Don't allow yourself or anyone else to make you into a victim.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Sep 25, 2012 4:49:07 AM