Cory Booker | Democratic National Convention | Democratic Party | Gay Marriage | New Jersey | News

Newark Mayor Cory Booker Gives Fiery Democratic Platform Speech at DNC: VIDEO

Booker

Newark, NJ Mayor Cory Booker gave a fiery pitch of the 2012 Democratic Party Platform, which, for the first time in history includes marriage equality, in a non prime-time speech deserving of a prime time slot.

"Being asked to pay your fair share in taxes is not class warfare. It's patriotism," Booker exclaimed, in his biggest line of the night.

Added Booker:

"It is our fundamental national aspiration that no matter how you choose to pray or whom you choose to love...that if you are a citizen of the United States of America…that you should be able to find a job that pays the bills."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Washington Post reports

A fall earlier in the day...left the mayor with a sprained ankle, but Booker walked to the podium with only a slight limp and delivered a fiery address. The crowd responded with chants of “Cory” after the speech, and some delegates were moved to tears.

Referring to “our president,” Booker asserted that President Barack Obama’s policies had helped strengthen small businesses and raise education standards. “Our president has made a profound difference for people and businesses in Newark and New Jersey and the nation as a whole,” he said.

Booker is the only New Jersey politician with a speaking role at the convention. The mayor co-chaired the national Democratic Party’s platform committee and has spoken enthusiastically about its support for gay marriage for the first time.

“We support marriage equality and support the movement to secure equal treatment under law for same-sex couples,” states the 40-page document released Monday.

Comments

1. Choose to love? Oh my, what a stupid comment from Booker. Our sexual orientation is NOT a choice, Mr Booker. The type of person we settle down with IS a choice (because it involves the values we choose to adopt) but our sexual orientation is NOT a choice.

Posted by: jason | Sep 4, 2012 7:34:38 PM

2. Jason, he said who you choose to love, not which orientation you choose. Anyone with any sense can tell the difference.

Posted by: David | Sep 4, 2012 7:51:15 PM

3. Sorry, but I didn't have any problem with his wording. He didn't say that we choose our sexual orientation. He said we choose who we love. And we do. He was stating things in their broadest terms, admittedly for rhetorical effect. I dunno. It worked for me.

Posted by: Darkly | Sep 4, 2012 7:58:06 PM

4. Very proud of Mayor Booker. He has given hope to Newark when everyone gave up on it. He builds bridges where other politicians built barriers. He runs a black majority city but has support from all races. I'm sure we can expect to see more of Cory, possibly as Essex County Executive or the US Senate.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 4, 2012 8:15:08 PM

5. Jason gets mad at the sun for being too bright.

Posted by: Mikey | Sep 4, 2012 8:17:16 PM

6. A wild troll matures as people continue to dedicate their attention to its every movement. In turn, those people can let out their frustration against the real people that the troll resembles. It is a fine balance of nature I guess.

Posted by: david | Sep 4, 2012 8:17:39 PM

7. I am in love with Cory Booker. Did you see him on Henry Louis Gates's PBS ancestry show with Congressman John Lewis? I dare anyone to watch that episode without bawling.

Posted by: bravo | Sep 4, 2012 8:53:19 PM

8. Jason, it's really annoying (really, really annoying) when people like you attack the people who are supporting us. Seriously, get a damn grip. He didn't mean it the way you took it. You're being too sensitive.

Posted by: daws | Sep 4, 2012 9:02:52 PM

9. Booker for Governor

Posted by: Rich F. | Sep 4, 2012 10:04:25 PM

10. Seriously, Jason, get a life. You have no sense logic and your comments are idiotic. Always.

Posted by: Terry | Sep 4, 2012 10:23:48 PM

11. You guys, Jason the Republican troll is going to troll extra hard to find things to attack the dems on, such as wording. He just wants to incite arguments and distract us all. And it's working. Just ignore him and he'll disappear.

Posted by: MateoM | Sep 4, 2012 10:27:58 PM

12. @Jason: Booker's speech was inspirational. Why do you keep posting on this site? Everyone knows what your motives are and long ago concluded that you are an a$$hole. What comes out of a$$holes like you? S*it!!!

Posted by: andrew | Sep 4, 2012 11:05:56 PM

13. why can't i load the video??

defeat christie!

Posted by: t | Sep 5, 2012 12:03:09 AM

14. All of you taking offense at what he said. Listen, just because you are gay, doesn't mean that I am in love with you. I CHOOSE to love my partner. That isn't the same as my orientation, my preference for men.

Posted by: Miguel R | Sep 5, 2012 1:33:58 AM

15. @Miguel: Mabye I am kind of thick, but I don't understand the point you are making.

Posted by: andrew | Sep 5, 2012 2:35:11 AM

16. A- Jason is a Troll. Ignore it and it goes away.

B- Mayor Booker PLEASE run for President. I swear every single time I see this guy speak I get chills and he's only a Mayor. He is incredibly eloquent and moving. He is the sort of politician the Dems need to get them fired up.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 5, 2012 9:02:51 AM

17. Wow... I wish that Cory Booker was mayor of my city. Good God what an inspirational man!

Posted by: Oz in OK | Sep 5, 2012 9:24:28 AM