Carly Rae Jepsen | Connecticut | Music | Music Video

BigGayDeal.com

'Call Me Maybe' Goes Symphonic: VIDEO

CallMeSymphonic

Perhaps you don't need to hear another version of Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" again, but do. Just one more. AFTER THE JUMP, find a gorgeous, and -- maybe this is just me -- somehow melancholic, fully orchestral, end-of-summer take on the season's infectingest, saccharinest hit.

From the NY Daily News:

Colin Britt and Arianne Abela arranged a full-on orchestral rendition of the song replete with glockenspiels, violas and violins.

"Like everyone, I have heard this song a lot for the entire summer," Britt told the Daily News. "And I, like everyone—whether they want to admit it or not—have the guilty pleasure of enjoying it."

Britt got an idea to record a version from the string riff that appears during each chorus ... The arrangers sent invitations to classically trained musicians near New Haven, Conn. to perform a pop song, but didn't tell them the specific song until they arrived.

Sixty-some-odd musicians showed up. They dubbed themselves the 3Penny Chorus and Orchestra, and they rocked.

Comments

1. No homo.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 15, 2012 2:35:21 PM

2. THIS IS F'ing FANTASTIC. Seriously. Whoever the arranger is, they're hella talented.

Posted by: GMB | Sep 15, 2012 2:42:11 PM

3. i like it !

@ rick YES HOMO

Posted by: xael | Sep 15, 2012 2:42:52 PM

4. Ingenious and very enjoyable, considering there's so little thematically to deal with. The vocal and orchestral color provides enough variety and keeps you involved.

Posted by: My2cents | Sep 15, 2012 2:45:23 PM

5. f*ck yeah

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 15, 2012 2:53:40 PM

6. f*ck yeah

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 15, 2012 2:53:44 PM

7. GMB, the arranger credit goes to Colin Britt and Arianne Abela. Colin also orchestrated (and played glockenspiel) and Arianne conducted.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 15, 2012 2:56:20 PM

8. Just using it non offensively like Brandon K Thorpe does.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 15, 2012 3:00:30 PM

9. yeh we know that about you, Rick--and your "traditional masculine values."

Now since the world seems not to be to your liking, feel free to go and drown yourself.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Sep 15, 2012 3:04:48 PM

10. It's a wonderful, exciting idea--and arrangement. This really needs to get around..

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Sep 15, 2012 3:05:30 PM

11. I fart when I bottom

Posted by: Rick | Sep 15, 2012 3:14:12 PM

12. @Rick
    Yeah right, we all have already heard your adventures with mice, dogs, cats, donkeys and pigs.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 15, 2012 3:19:13 PM

13. Love it!

Posted by: William | Sep 15, 2012 4:23:20 PM

14. Well, this needs some work yet, lame in spots, but the middle picked up close to right. The chorus is too slow, too etherial. Put some up tempo guts in it, keep the fun (I burst out laughing at one point) and aim for the bleachers.

This song is totally worth it's fame. I put it on rerun and get all the housework done in no time. Badmouthing this song is just stupid.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 15, 2012 4:37:43 PM

15. Genius! Also, some VERY hot male band nerds in that symphony. Dayum!

Posted by: AriesMatt | Sep 15, 2012 4:53:39 PM

16. If they ever make a studio recording of this I'd definitely buy it off iTunes.

Posted by: Snownova | Sep 15, 2012 5:08:23 PM

17. I dont get this song at all. Its not that good. And to be honest I have never heard it in real life. Only online as an internet meme which totally escapes me.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Sep 15, 2012 6:03:32 PM

18. I would like to hear this as a finished piece in a concert hall. That would be incredible. Great job on the arrangement. Not easy to do.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Sep 15, 2012 6:33:22 PM

19. I've been watching the various versions of this song all summer and enjoying most of them. I wasn't sure the US Diving Team version could be beat but this did it--yahoo! So much fun and such talented young people. I loved this. Thanks for posting!

Posted by: Dev | Sep 15, 2012 7:04:54 PM

20. Loved it! Could use some clean-up, but this was just to share some fun on Youtube. Would totally buy a concert-ready version! :D

Posted by: C | Sep 15, 2012 7:13:46 PM

21. This was cute, but why do we always hear "You have to hear just one more cover of 'Call Me Maybe" ? LOLs.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Sep 15, 2012 7:47:40 PM

22. It's the violins. They drive the original and this version of the song. It's undeniable - you're dragged in, willing or not. The power of music. And I like the key change in the last "So call me maybe"

Posted by: Kevin | Sep 15, 2012 11:35:19 PM

23. "I, like everyone—whether they want to admit it or not—have the guilty pleasure of enjoying it."

Nonsense. The original is nothing but a cut n' paste of really tired cliches and even great orchestrators like Berlioz, Strauss, Ravel or Schreker couldn't change that.

Little Kiwi's imitations of Rick are really sad.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Sep 15, 2012 11:42:05 PM

24. Wow, that was horrible.

Posted by: Johnnie | Sep 15, 2012 11:50:40 PM

25. I mean, seriously, this is like grandma in the church choir level bad.

Posted by: Johnnie | Sep 15, 2012 11:51:35 PM