Eugene Delgaudio | Gay Marriage | News | SPLC

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Couple Sues Virginia Conservative Eugene Delgaudio Over Stolen Wedding Photo

Wedding

The Southern Poverty Law Center, on behalf of Brian Edwards and Tom Privitere, a gay NJ couple, is filing a federal lawsuit against Public Advocate of the United States, the conservative non-profit organization led by Loudoun County Supervisor Eugene Delgaudio.

Delgaudio's group stole the couple's wedding photo for use in an anti-gay political mailing, the AP reports:

DelgaudioThe photo was used in mailers in a June primary election involving Sen. Jean White, one of a handful of Republicans who supported a civil unions bill that was blocked in the state House. The mailer, which replaced the Manhattan skyline with a snowy background, read: “State Senator Jean White’s Idea of ‘Family Values?’”

White lost the primary against a fellow Republican in a northwestern Colorado district.

Ypu may recall some of Delgaudio's past antics. He fought tooth and nail against an anti-discrimination ordinance in Loudon County, labeling transgender people "it" and "real life Tootsies" and has had an ongoing campaign against the Student Non-Discrimination Act which included an email sent out by the Weekly Standard warning people that federal anti-bullying legislation is a secret plan to "indoctrinate" children with "homosexual propaganda".

Delgaudio

Comments

1. For the gazillionth time regarding these stories about raving stark homophobes, who's the gay guy in the pic???

Posted by: Michael | Sep 26, 2012 1:13:44 PM

2. What's kind of funny is that the Photoshop transposing the couple to a sepia winter wonderland is a really nice picture! I like it better than the original.

Delgaudo is a well-known batsh*t crazy who is ALWAYS begging for money, and who takes in a lot of money, but if you look at what he actually DOES it adds up to maybe a couple thousand at the local Kinkos. He's making out like a bandit by exploiting homophobia.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 26, 2012 1:30:03 PM

3. If some homophobe used my wedding pic like this I would be irate. I say sue the Ba$tards. Let the know you can't use personal property this way.

Posted by: JaysonJ | Sep 26, 2012 1:33:25 PM

4. Sue them - hope they take every cent that disgusting piece of sh*t has..... That's another strategy- wish we could deplete NOM and the AFA and FRC so easily.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 26, 2012 1:41:04 PM

5. how did he or his "people" think this would go??

Posted by: Joe | Sep 26, 2012 1:57:10 PM

6. @Michael: reread the post

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Sep 26, 2012 2:16:12 PM

7. I honestly can only think of a few things more violating than STEALING someone's wedding photo and using it for a hate campaign without their knowing.

That is one of the most vile things I'v read about on this site, and that's saying a lot.

Posted by: Soul Trust | Sep 26, 2012 2:39:25 PM

8. Heteros...GET A LIFE!!!!!!
    The majority of your obsession with ours is becoming downright CREEPY at this point.

Posted by: Jim | Sep 26, 2012 2:39:59 PM

9. This man's actions are disgusting. Please keep us updated on this case. They better win (forgone conclusion) and win big!

Posted by: Duration & Convexity | Sep 26, 2012 2:40:32 PM

10. DelGaudio needs to be fired from his position. His violations, and illegal activity here is startling and enough to have him face punishment.

Posted by: Star5 | Sep 26, 2012 2:41:17 PM

11. Thank you.

Was wondering why they hadn't sued yet. They better combat this "man" for his deplorable actions and fight with every fire they have in them. He needs to be put in his place for what he did.

Posted by: Jugel | Sep 26, 2012 2:42:13 PM

12. He must have been looking for a lawsuit or he's insane. I would be pretty effing livid if my wedding photo was used in this manner, and I'd run laughing to the back with the money of the person who did it. Get ready to dig deep in your pocket-book Delgaudio, you're going to be out some serious change. Hope it was worth it.

Posted by: 2 Dads | Sep 26, 2012 2:44:29 PM

13. Congrats to the happy and soon to be, very rich, gay couple. You deserve every penny.

Posted by: Art Smith | Sep 26, 2012 2:45:09 PM

14. And this man is the Loudon County supervisor! An elected official in one of the largest counties in Northern, Virginia. The level of homophobia in the U.S is nothing short of early Nazi like tactics. The right wing paints us as destroyers of society and instells fear in others about us. They seek to eliminate our rights, and if it weren't for our vocal activism, you better believe they would seek to eliminate us as well.

Posted by: C. Lane | Sep 26, 2012 2:48:54 PM

15. From the past 4 years...seeing the anti gay campaigns and their approach, can any of you honestly tell me they have any boundaries? Do you REALLY believe if they could round us up and put us in a facility, and it were legal, they wouldn't do it? One thing you should know is, these people have no boundaries in their quest to fight our rights and livelihood. None. Knowing your enemies strengthens you.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Sep 26, 2012 2:59:09 PM

16. I do agree that I think the ardent homophobes will get much worse before we see the end of them. If our economy decides to take another dive they're going to start looking for scapegoats- personally I think mexicans or muslims will be enemy #1 but I'm sure we will get lumped in. I'm ready to go down fighting.

And speaking of fighting, if someone used one of my wedding photos for that I would bleed the individual and his organization for every cent I could get. I'm normally not really big on "pain and suffering" in civil suits however I think this one caused both quite clearly.

Posted by: MaddM@ | Sep 26, 2012 3:27:13 PM

17. The question mark goes outside the quotation marks unless the entire question is within the quotes. Dumbass.

Posted by: Marc | Sep 26, 2012 4:48:44 PM

18. It turns my stomach, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have my wedding photo used in such a manner. I'm not sure what kind of damages they can get in court for this, if any at all, but whatever amount it is it's not enough.

C. LANE : I have to agree with you, but it's a game of strategy, to let them out themselves as to their real intentions. So many of them claim they mean us no harm, revealing them for what they really are is essential, let them hang themselves - people see that and make the conscious choice to support us as a result.

Yes, if they had their way they'd stick pink triangles on our shirts and put us in camps. What bothers me more is that so many people are unaware that gays and gypsies and adventists were also rounded up and gassed.

Posted by: Buckie | Sep 26, 2012 6:44:34 PM

19. I've read that this horrid person delgardo makes about $150,000 a year from contributions to his website

Just another example of capitalism run amoke.

Bet his church is the vatican, whose anti gay pope did the unholy of Unholies in 2009 _ UNexcommunicating a holocaust denier.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/erbe/2009/02/05/pope-should-excommunicate-holocaust-denying-bishop-williamson?msg=1 - comments

oNe would think that someone who grew up where the holocaust of Jews, gays (the forgotten people of the holocaust) and otehrs was done in plain sight would not do such a thing.

But given the almost complete collapse of the church in Europe, maybe he is Gods gift in a different way to gay people.

The old guy is just hung up on his own propaganda

Posted by: billywingartenson | Sep 26, 2012 7:10:16 PM

20. I don't remember how, but I ended up on DelGaudio's emailing list and I get regular bulletins from the loon on a regular basis.

The man is OBSESSED with gay men! This is his whole raison d'etre. He comments on nothing else! I mean, when somebody is THAT obsessed, he's gotta be like a closet case, right?

His stuff is hysterically funny in a demented sort of way but, also, it is educational about the sickness of the conservative, fundamentalist, evangelical, right-wing mind.

DelGaudio is a very disturbed man, just as Bryan Fischer is a very disturbed man or Allen West or Bill Donohue or Pat Robertson or Pope Benedict or any of the multitude of homophobes that rail against LGBT people on a regular basis.

What is frightening is that any of those vile bigots have thousands of people who listen to them daily and agree with them if not outright support them with monetary donations.

Such lunacy simply cannot be sustained without it either imploding on itself or exploding outward in violence towards LGBT people.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 27, 2012 11:30:46 AM