Film | Ian McKellen | News

BigGayDeal.com

The New 'Hobbit' Trailer Has Arrived: VIDEO

Hobbit

Director Peter Jackson returns to Middle-Earth in the first part of a new Hobbit trilogy, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, in which you'll find some very familiar characters, my precious.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love it!! I am so excited. Even though the Lord of the Ring movies differ from the books I looked the movies equally. I look forward to seeing his version of the Hobbit.

Posted by: justin | Sep 19, 2012 12:05:40 PM

2. I'm in, looks Epic!

Posted by: RONTEX | Sep 19, 2012 12:30:34 PM

3. I just reread the book again.

Posted by: anon | Sep 19, 2012 12:40:56 PM

4. Looks good, but I'm still - much as I love hot guys - a little unsure about hot dwarfs. A quibble.

My main hesitation is Jackson's LotR films got progressively worse, imo. If he can once again get off to a good start, I'll come back for the next. If, however, he picks up where he left off and the first Hobbit film is lame, I'll be saving the rest for Netflix.

It's not looking good to me that a thin 200 page book like The Hobbit needs as many Peter Jackson film hours as an epic 10 zillion page book like Lord of Rings. That smacks of worthless padding - so a nifty-looking trailer is not going to allay my concerns about this project.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 19, 2012 1:28:31 PM

5. Whats a matter with hot dwarves? Sexy is sexy, size doesn't matter. *meow*

Posted by: Robert | Sep 19, 2012 1:50:25 PM

6. If you think this trilogy is a strict adaptation of The Hobbit, you haven't been paying attention.

Posted by: endo | Sep 19, 2012 1:57:16 PM

7. The length of the novel doesn't determine the length of the films. The Hobbit is told from one perspective (Bilbo's) and is necessarily thin on details because it was written for children who could supply detail with their imagination. Look at the total length of the Narnia books, for example. Therefore, much of the plot we would be experiencing is truncated. It's a logical way to narrate a tale, but in a film the audience would expect to see fully realized arcs for multiple characters and fleshed out action set pieces. The Hobbit has three obvious standalone stories, for anyone who has attentively read it: the journey to the Lonely Mountain, entailing encounters with trolls, Beorn the man-bear, wargs, goblins, Gollum, and the spiders and forest elves of Mirkwood. Plus whatever Gandalf and the Council are doing at the time. It's a lot for even one movie. Everything with Smaug--from our first encounter with the treasure to his demise--is plenty for a second movie. Then, the conflict over the Arkenstone and the Battle of the Five Armies, with perhaps the establishment of the Necromancer as Sauron in Mordor, is an obvious climax and segue to LOTR. I simply don't know how you could fit that in one movie, or even two, without them being needlessly cumbersome. As it is the three movies will likely each be 2.5 hours each.

Posted by: Stefan | Sep 19, 2012 2:26:25 PM

8. I wouldn't say it looks good quite yet, but it could be entertaining.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 19, 2012 2:27:26 PM

9. Jackson ruined the Lord of the Rings movies, and I imagine he'll do the same to The Hobbit.

Posted by: Wilberforce1 | Sep 19, 2012 2:41:21 PM

10. I thought it was just 2 films, not three as suggested in some of the posts above. Is that not correct?

Posted by: Peter Hargmier | Sep 19, 2012 2:52:24 PM

11. Peter, the last I heard was that it was going to be three films, the second released Christmas 2013, the third, Summer 2014.

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 19, 2012 2:59:05 PM

12. This is going to be awesome. We are looking at a challenge to The Avenger worldwide gross here, no question.

The book maybe short, but there is PLENTY to keep 3 movies going. Nothing needs to be made up for three movies to work. There are more snippets of info in the other middle earth works to flesh this out.

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 19, 2012 3:15:36 PM

13. Aidan Turner is one of the dwarves. He's one of the hottest men to come along in ages. If you saw the BBC version of "Being Human", you know what I'm talking about.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Sep 19, 2012 3:22:01 PM

14. Yes, after deciding it was going to be two movies, they went back and changed it to three. There are two reasons why it can work for this 200-page novel.

One, there's a lot of action in those two hundred pages that will take longer to show than the longer LotR books, where quite a lot of pages were devoted to traveling.

And two, they will be delving into things that were only alluded to in the book, and fleshed out in the appendices, like where Gandalf kept disappearing to.

I have predictions of how they will break out the three, but since this isn't a dedicated fan page, I don't want to spoil things for other readers.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Sep 19, 2012 3:27:39 PM

15. I would agree there's enough for 2 movies, perhaps. But the same amount of movies as for Lord of the Rings? No, sorry, The Hobbit does not have remotely as much story as The Lord of the Rings. To say each would require a similar amount of screen time is absurd ... unless The Hobbit is being loaded down with Jackson's typical excessive padding junk - in which case I would rather pass on the entire enterprise.

That's not to say Jackson can't do some good turns with stuff that happens "off-screen" in the book. He did that to great effect in The Fellowship of the Ring. The result was a wonderful adaptation that was not merely a filming of the book.

He fared less well when the story got less linear in subsequent films. But The Hobbit, like Fellowship, is a very linear story ... so that's a hopeful element.

As always with films, despite the trailers, despite the casting, despite almost any talent involved - the only way to tell how the final film turns out IS the final film. December 14 is not too long to wait and see.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 19, 2012 3:50:26 PM

16. I'm disappointed that the only elves featured in the trailer are Elrond and Galadriel...I'm dying for a peek of Lee Pace as Thranduil.

Posted by: Keith | Sep 19, 2012 4:14:33 PM

17. Hooray! A return to Middle Earth!

Posted by: Gregor | Sep 19, 2012 7:51:32 PM

18. @ Seattle Mike -
    My partner keeps on being mistaken for Aiden Turner! We live in London and have had several people approach him asking for an autograph! :D

Posted by: Peter Hargmier | Sep 20, 2012 4:47:03 AM

19. I ponder that it is a honest endeavor to vindicate a difficult subject.

Posted by: SEO Software | Jan 19, 2013 3:20:50 AM