China | Hong Kong | News

Hong Kong Billionaire Offers $65 Million to Any Man Who Successfully Woos His Lesbian Daughter

A Hong Kong billionaire has offered a $65 million bounty to any man that can woo and marry his lesbian daughter, Business Insider reports:

ChaoProperty magnate Cecil Chao Sze-tsung announced the HK$500 million reward this week after reports that his 33-year-old daughter Gigi Chao, a University of Manchester graduate, had married her long-term female partner in France.

"I don't mind whether he is rich or poor. The important thing is that he is generous and kind-hearted," Mr Chao told the South China Morning Post, describing reports about his daughter's marriage as "false"...

He told the South China Morning Post the prize money was "an inducement to attract someone who has the talent but not the capital to start his own business".

"Gigi is a very good woman with both talents and looks. She is devoted to her parents, is generous and does volunteer work," he added.

Comments

1. @Jamal49 Well, I thought the Fox would do just okay. Anyway, here's another link and sugar, didn't you read it properly? I never said gay marriage is already legal in France. It's okay, it happens. I forgive you. http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/france-may-dump-mom-dad-to-legalise-gay-marriage/article3936007.ece

Posted by: Lara | Sep 26, 2012 1:36:23 PM

2. Firstly, the story Lara linked to is not false. Fox news may be full of crap in general but when they agree with the huff post there's probably something to it:

Secondly, gawker is also running this story about the businessman with links to the daughters facebook page and other sources. I'm not sure which part you all think is wrong. France doesn't have gay marriage so it is indeed not possible that they had a legal ceremony, but there are other options in france so I dont really get where everyone is coming from attacking lara here.
    Incidentaly, the daughter's facebook page has a large pic of a bunch of people taking photos in a church and details of a recent trip to france so maybe a news source extrapolated from these details, or maybe they can be taken as actual verification that some kind of ceremony took place.

Thirdly, does Jason have more aliases than usual or are people actually starting to listen to him?

Posted by: hoydenista | Sep 26, 2012 1:50:06 PM

3. Heck, I might even eat some pu$$ for $65 million. I would certainly have to vomit afterwards, but it's not like it would be any worse than eating worms or snot or the saliva of an old man who has been dipping snuff--all of which I have seen on either reality shows or Jackass!

(P.S. Nice shot, UFFDA)

Posted by: Rick | Sep 26, 2012 1:54:44 PM

4. The road to hell is paved with good intentions fits this story perfectly.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 26, 2012 2:16:49 PM

5. http://www.scmp.com/topics/cecil-chao-sze-tsung
    It probably is not fake. The story was also printed in South China Morning Post, the most reputable English newspaper in Hong Kong.
    The odd thing is that this guy publicized the fact that his daughter is a lesbian which is a taboo in a Chinese society. A normal person should feel ashamed and do his best to hide the fact. Of course offering a bounty this way indicates that this guy is an eccentric and hardly normal.

Posted by: simon | Sep 26, 2012 2:51:28 PM

6. The story is a little bit more complicated. Instead of telling her father face to face, she told the media that she has been married to a woman in France. The media asked the old man about this, he refused to accept it and offer someone money to marry his daughter. It is odd since father and daughter work in the same company.

Posted by: simon | Sep 26, 2012 3:27:43 PM

7. Then again, has Jason EVER been right on any issue...?

Posted by: DeeperStill | Sep 26, 2012 4:21:09 PM

8. It seems like 'dad' has no problem preempting the love life of his daughter considering he only has her best interest at heart never mind his own playboy duplicitous lifestyle...

(Rich) daddy knows best...

Posted by: scallywag | Sep 26, 2012 10:48:06 PM

9. What is a troll? It seems to me from following "fights" on Towleroad that a troll is someone who posts things that another person disagrees with.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 27, 2012 7:48:13 AM

10. I am Chinese and originally from Hong Kong. This story is widely reported on many Chinese sites and appears to be true.

In terms of how people in HK view homosexuality, it's complicated. Yes, traditional Chinese culture is against it. OTOH, when a person is openly gay/lesbian/bisexual AND very successful (e.g. very wealthy or famous), his/her sexual orientation is often accepted as just a matter of fact. Sure, tabloids and regular folks may be interested in gossiping about LGBT celebrities in HK, but the fascination is most often based on the celebrity rather than the sexual orientation.

Posted by: DaChickenLady | Sep 27, 2012 9:44:04 AM

11. @Oakpope: Actually France, Germany and Austria did not allow Eastern European nations access to their labour market when they joined the EU in 2004. That's why they went to the UK and other parts of the EU until France finally allowed them in 4 years later. It wasn't till 2011 that they had unrestricted access to the entire EU labour market.

I live in France too. You should learn more about it.

Posted by: MikeW | Sep 27, 2012 11:53:07 AM

12. People getting "married" without the state or country that they are in not recognizing it as a legal marriage isn't anything new, so why are people acting like it is?

This father is a nut, but he seems to be as sexist as some of the posters here. He can offer someone all of the money in the world, but that doesn't mean that his daughter will fall in love with the person, or suddenly stop being a lesbian. What does he expect the guy to do, club her over the head, and drag her back to his cave?

Posted by: cadence | Sep 27, 2012 1:59:33 PM

13. I'll turkey-baste some Eastern vadge for $65mil.

Posted by: Uisce | Sep 27, 2012 2:58:15 PM

14. Wow..... Nice information.I Like it.....
    any Lesbian http://the-tiny-love.blogspot.com

Posted by: Alfina | Sep 27, 2012 4:20:04 PM

15. i will love her for ever..................i want to meet her.

Posted by: steward wysote | Sep 27, 2012 6:54:52 PM

16. It seems like the stupidity of Towleroad comments drops every week. It's almost pointless reading the nonsense people write here.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 27, 2012 9:49:16 PM

17. If you need a rich lesbian for urgent response call this number +2348155427473

Posted by: godonsp | Dec 18, 2012 2:14:59 PM

18. If you need a rich lesbian for urgent response call this number +2348155427473

Posted by: godonsp | Dec 18, 2012 2:33:07 PM

19. I can marry with your daughter my age is 20 years reply please soomroateeque@gmail.com if you are agree then i will send you my pictures

Posted by: Ateeque | Aug 4, 2013 2:58:51 PM

20. I need money so much .you are a bilioniar.plz give me some money,at least $500. before sending email me.

Posted by: Ridi | Feb 2, 2014 12:19:17 PM

21. I need money so much .you are a bilioniar.plz give me some money,at least $500. before sending email me.

Posted by: Ridi | Feb 2, 2014 12:19:27 PM

22. I need money so much .you are a bilioniar.plz give me some money,at least $500. before sending email me.

Posted by: Ridi | Feb 2, 2014 12:19:38 PM

23. I need money so much .you are a bilioniar.plz give me some money,at least $500. before sending email me.

Posted by: Ridi | Feb 2, 2014 12:19:43 PM

24. I need money so much .you are a bilioniar.plz give me some money,at least $500. before sending email me.

Posted by: Ridi | Feb 2, 2014 12:19:58 PM