Anne Hathaway | Film | Hugh Jackman | News

BigGayDeal.com

'Les Misérables', We'll Do It Live! - VIDEO

Jackman

A behind-the-scenes featurette for the upcoming Les Misérables film adaptation reveals what will set it apart from movie musicals of the past.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh, great, a live singing movie musical - just like "At Long Last Love!" Oh, wait, that sucked. *sigh*

Posted by: jj | Sep 20, 2012 6:22:16 PM

2. Holy cow! This is gonna be terrific. The Academy could save time by simply handing Hathaway the Oscar right now.

Posted by: throwslikeagirl | Sep 20, 2012 6:27:19 PM

3. @JJ: Good point. The world would be a better place if people just stopped trying to do things right after it had failed once. *eyeroll*

Posted by: Rex Mundi | Sep 20, 2012 7:05:39 PM

4. Big deal. Somebody write the song I"m Sick of Movie Stars to be sung to the tune of Get A Life.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 20, 2012 7:08:13 PM

5. When first I saw the title of this piece, I though it read: "'Les Miserables' . . . We do live it" — which I thought was a welcome assumption that our civilization can still put literature and politics together, as Hugo intended.

Posted by: Charles | Sep 20, 2012 7:40:46 PM

6. If Russell Crowe can pull off those vocals I'll be really impressed. Looks like it's a great adaptation.

Posted by: stranded | Sep 20, 2012 7:56:46 PM

7. I think the last Australian in a musical was Nicole Kidman in "Moulin Rouge" -- Lurman had to cut it to death to try to make her look like a performer, rather than an actress. These actors are more expressive

Posted by: Bob | Sep 20, 2012 8:07:07 PM

8. It's about time. Lip syncing annoys the hell out of me.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 20, 2012 8:15:38 PM

9. Russell Crowe? Not in this lifetime. I've seen the play three times in London and Crowe certainly is the weak link here. Hired for name recognition only. Too bad.

Posted by: terry | Sep 20, 2012 8:17:41 PM

10. I don't see the objection to live singing musical films. If they can record plays on stage for TV (and they can, quite well) then this is just a slight step further.

I think it could be great, and I'm looking forward to it.

My concern isn't the singing, but the sets. I'm not sure what I feel about that harbor scene, for example. The stage musical didn't include water. Musicals are a bit imaginary ... make them too real, and they die.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 20, 2012 8:23:07 PM

11. They all sound fantastic- at leas in the previews- I hope they can pull it off.

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 20, 2012 8:37:01 PM

12. @ Randy, stage productions of any sort are by their very nature more imaginary, and as a result, usually more intimate. However, the big screen opens up many visual opportunities just not afforded by the limitations of the stage, and if produced and acted well, a show like this can benefit greatly. Of course, the key is "produced and acted well." Just like adaptations from book to film, stage to film can be very successful or fail dismally, but different in and of itself isn't necessarily bad, just...different.

Posted by: Kenneth | Sep 20, 2012 8:52:05 PM

13. Just the little snippet of Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed A Dream" moved me to tears. This is one film that I am excited about.

Posted by: Marc C | Sep 20, 2012 9:39:54 PM

14. Cynics, Beware! This promises to be an amazing event if the movie lives up to the publicity.

Posted by: barryearle | Sep 20, 2012 10:20:51 PM

15. This featurette does a great job of selling it, but the fact that the movie got pushed back makes me a little nervous. We'll see. I *hope* it's great. It has a very realistic shot of being the top grossing musical in decades, which would be fantastic for the genre.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 20, 2012 11:37:21 PM

16. @randy Except they need to do take-after-take for film. Singing live would put strain on the actors voices (those who aren't Jackman, of course) who haven't done this sort of extensive performance for such a long period of time before. Hence they don't do live singing in screen musicals. It's not just about catching a "perfect take", it's about doing that perfect take over and over and over again. Also, it's a screen musical... there's gonna be water. Of course there was no water on stage. :/

@Bob, er, that was the whole point of "Moulin Rouge". It was meant to be edited through a sieve.

Posted by: Glenn | Sep 21, 2012 5:00:42 AM

17. Looks amazing!

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 21, 2012 8:05:30 AM

18. I can't wait for this- and by the way @Bob- I thought Nicole was AMAZING in Moulin Rouge.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 21, 2012 11:24:52 AM

19. Well, it HAS been done before. Streisand filmed her FUNNY GIRL finale ("My Man") live. Peter Bogdanovich did all of AT LONG LAST LOVE the same way being used in LES MIZ. The cast members wore earpieces and did their own actual singing as it was being filmed. Of course, that movie wasn't too successful, so it didn't start a trend. This will be a nice experiment, and I hope it works, but when lip-syncing is well done (Judy Garland, for instance), it can be very effective. It usually doesn't work well when someone is lip-syncing to someone else's voice. It's never convincing then.

Posted by: Abel | Sep 21, 2012 1:41:17 PM

20. this is a very exciting article. I tell you that the issue is more deep that appear. Believe me !

Posted by: dance music | Jan 19, 2013 7:03:18 AM