Gay Youth | Law - Gay, LGBT | Law Enforcement | Malaysia | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Malaysian Government To Parents, Teachers: Know The Signs Of Gay

Weird news out of Malaysia, from Reuters:

The Malaysian government has begun holding seminars aiming to help teachers and parents spot signs of homosexuality in children, underscoring a rise in religious conservatism in the Muslim majority nation.

So far, the Teachers Foundation of Malaysia has organized 10 seminars across the nation. Attendance at the last event on Wednesday reached 1,500 people ...

TerengganuThe "signs" of homosexuality include, among boys, an affection for v-neck shirts, the wearing of sleeveless shirts, the wearing of tight clothes in general, the using of handbags, and being muscular. The Malaysian government is less clear on how to spot lesbians. Their advice to girls' parents: Make sure your daughter avoids sleepovers.

From the Agence France-Presse:

"Definitely we support the seminars because it's good for parents to be exposed to LGBT symptoms," Deputy Education Minister Mohamad Puad Zarkashi told AFP on Friday, while declining direct comment on the guidelines.

"At least preventive action can be taken," said Mohamad Puad, who officiated one of the seminars in northern Penang state earlier this week.

What "preventive action" might mean in this context is unclear. Reuters notes that a government-run camp now exists in the Malaysian state of Terengganu, where "effeminate" boys are taught to butch up.

In Malaysia, homosexual acts are officially punishable by up to 20 years in prison, though penalties are seldom enforced.

Comments

1. Now...if they only had a camp for the treatment of symptoms of ignorance and stupidity...and lawmakers and gov't officials should have mandatory attendance.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Sep 15, 2012 9:39:30 AM

2. Doesn't Rick Santorum have "an affection" for V-neck sweaters?

Posted by: barryearle | Sep 15, 2012 10:03:15 AM

3. My mother has two tests for whether I was gay:

1. He's inhaling.
    2. He's exhaling.

Posted by: Demian | Sep 15, 2012 10:21:37 AM

4. Malaysis is so retarded, it's not funny.

Posted by: jason | Sep 15, 2012 10:28:11 AM

5. Oh Malaysia, you're not so 'Truly Asia'.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 15, 2012 10:29:32 AM

6. Preventive action? Prevent the need. Abandon Islam.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 15, 2012 10:50:12 AM

7. The more stories I see about such nonsense, the happier I am that I don't live in such shitbox countries. Seriously. You're too in shape to be straight? I guess it's tougher to sell the male teens in their local underground sex trade if there's beef on that frame.

Posted by: Joey Y | Sep 15, 2012 11:00:07 AM

8. Wow. After reading the Malaysian government's list of signs, I guess I can say I really am gay.

Who knew?

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 15, 2012 11:03:54 AM

9. What a pitiful shame! There's another beautiful tropical paradise I can scratch off my bucket list...

Posted by: DrMikey | Sep 15, 2012 11:08:16 AM

10. "and being muscular." Like Arnold!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Sep 15, 2012 11:45:29 AM

11. Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too . . .

I am a spiritual man, with Christian leanings and yet I find myself imagining a world, yearning even . . . a world free of the violence of religion, and the archaic superstitions of the adherents of both Islam and Christianity, who claim to serve omniscient, omnipotent God's that always resorts to the lowest denominator in solving the problem of those that do not conform to his wishes.

What a wonderful world!

Posted by: Ricco | Sep 15, 2012 12:03:59 PM

12. ACTUALLY, MALE HOMOSEXUALS ARE OBSESSED WITH MUSCLES AND GOING TO THE GYM.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 15, 2012 12:23:19 PM

13. I'm not muscular and I wear dark clothes, how do I tell my bf I'm no longer gay?

Posted by: Sylvatica | Sep 15, 2012 12:58:46 PM

14. In Nigeria in 2004 it was a simple matter: dreadlocks, braids, and earrings.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Sep 15, 2012 1:04:26 PM

15. The organizing of such seminars is a severe symptom of stupidity and leads to arrested development.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Sep 15, 2012 1:09:11 PM

16. Dear Christopher Allen Horton,

Thank you for sharing.

Now, please sit down and shut up.

Posted by: Mike-in-Queens | Sep 15, 2012 1:16:07 PM

17. That trait list is idiotic. You might as well say that anyone that wears a sweater is gay. Or blondes are gay. Some guys are effeminate, it doesn't mean anything. Some of the butchest men I've ever seen love sex with men. Even butch ol' Rick loves guys.

Silly Malaysians.

Silly Muslims.

Silly religion.

Posted by: johnny | Sep 15, 2012 1:44:43 PM

18. Ironically, Malaysia has some of the most rocking gay life (especially in cities like Kuala Lumpur) in the region, rivaled only by Thailand. It's interesting to note that citizens of Chinese and Indian descent, although they have been living there for centuries, are thought of as "other" by the Muslim majority, and don't even have to follow their laws. That said, the place gave me the creeps, but there were some nice evenings involved...

Posted by: denisonnison | Sep 15, 2012 1:54:20 PM

19. Someone needs to just relax.....and kill the prime minister of Malaysia!!!

Posted by: MaddM@ | Sep 15, 2012 8:51:31 PM

20. Totally disturbing.

I don't think that this is a mere suggestion to the parents.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 15, 2012 11:22:01 PM

21. Terrific. They keep the 'malaise' in Malaysia.

Posted by: Book7 | Sep 16, 2012 3:15:42 AM

22. This is the same neck of the woods where two young girls were decapitated for mutual masturbation, in accordance with Islamic law.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Sep 16, 2012 3:33:32 AM

23. If the government needs to issue this warning, it must be a real serious and widespread 'problem'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 16, 2012 9:06:52 AM

24. Matt Damon was asked to leave The Malaysia due to the undue influence his muscled torso was having over the school-aged male populace. The sales of flimsy, clinging v necked attired soared and suddenly schools closed due to the pupils swooning at the thought of a Hermes handbag or a Marc Jacob purse.

Posted by: Malay Sheen | Sep 16, 2012 4:49:51 PM

25. Can you guess the State Religion of Malaysia? If you guessed Islam, you are correct.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 16, 2012 9:56:13 PM