Crime | Long Beach | Military | News

Marines Arrested for Beating of Gay Man Identified, Freed on Bail

Yesterday I posted about the assault of a gay man by four Marines outside Long Beach gay bar The Silver Fox. Those Marines have been identified, the San Diego Union Tribune reports:

SilverfoxLance Cpl. Lewis Serna, Pfc. Thomas Pentek, Pfc. Sean Miller and Lance Cpl. John O’Leary were arrested in Long Beach early Monday morning, said Marine Corps spokesman Maj. Manuel Delarosa. They allegedly beat a San Dimas man until he lost consciousness outside the Silver Fox.

The Long Beach Police Department is investigating the incident as a possible hate crime and will present its findings to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office today, spokeswoman Lisa Massacani said.

The four Marines are free on bail and have returned to their units, Delarosa said. “We are currently gathering all of the details to ensure we have a full understanding,” he said in a statement. “We are cooperating with local law-enforcement officials in Long Beach with their investigation; we will also be conducting our own investigation as well.”

Delarosa added: “This is an isolated incident; committing any hate crime is unacceptable behavior and is not tolerated in the Marine Corps.”

Previously...
Four U.S. Marines Arrested for Beating Gay Man at Long Beach Bar: VIDEO
[tlrd]

Comments

1. Oddly enough, I doubt if those four got too many high-fives or other signs of approval for this incident when they got back to their base. Plenty of non-gay people in the Marine Corps have gay loved ones.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Sep 6, 2012 8:43:56 AM

2. Why are they out on bail?

Posted by: jim | Sep 6, 2012 9:30:37 AM

3. better question: who posted bail?

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Sep 6, 2012 9:50:51 AM

4. Hopefully the end result will be a court martial and criminal charges and not a slap on the wrist.

Posted by: KT | Sep 6, 2012 9:53:50 AM

5. I'll bet the other Marines who know these guys thought they were jerks even before this incident, and are not surprised at their behavior.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 6, 2012 10:04:40 AM

6. These are very young guys, Pfc. and Lance Cpl.

Honestly, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often in this area, and in San Diego in general. Maybe it does and most don't bother reporting it to the police.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 6, 2012 10:07:22 AM

7. "This is an isolated incident..."
    It's manure, Manuel!

Posted by: Iban4yesu | Sep 6, 2012 12:30:59 PM

8. @ratbastard: Funny thing, these lowlifes drove 90 minutes north of San Diego to bash themselves a gay-- in Long Beach.

Another funny thing: Long Beach is actually even MORE LGBTQ-friendly than San Diego.

I personally know LBPD and LA County Sheriffs that would love to get their hands on these Marine punks and give them a talking-to. With a police baton.

I used to live not two blocks from that bar. And my husband and I were there a couple of weekends ago. This makes my husband a bit afraid to go back. Me? I refuse to live in fear of a$$hole punks trying to assert their fragile masculinity.

I bet these guys wouldn't last two days in the general population at LA County Jail before they became someone's purty b!tch....

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Sep 6, 2012 1:08:52 PM

9. @ratbastard: Funny thing, these lowlifes drove 90 minutes north of San Diego to bash themselves a gay-- in Long Beach.

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Sep 6, 2012 1:08:53 PM

10. Why are they out on bail? Oh I dunno, something about constitutional rights perhaps?

Posted by: Zydrate | Sep 6, 2012 1:14:10 PM

11. @one of the ca 36,000,

Yes, I immediately realized I wrote San Diego which is of course 100 miles or so from L.B. But, I meant southern California in general.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 6, 2012 2:25:59 PM

12. Lock these vile four monsters up and discharge them from the marines

I hope local LGBT organizations work to put pressure on police department to punish these four hood rat criminals. Back to the slums of inner city Chicago they should go!

Posted by: CityBeats | Sep 7, 2012 5:57:34 AM

13. Their bail was probably posted by the Marine Corps who took them into custody upon release. As a former MP (Military Police) I was frequently sent to bail and transport sailors who ran afoul of the law. Been a few tears since my time in uniform but in the "old" days most of the trouble makers would have preferred to be left in the city or county jail.

Posted by: ThomT | Sep 7, 2012 9:20:47 PM