Gay Marriage | John Waters | Maryland | New York | News | Susan Sarandon

BigGayDeal.com

John Waters, Susan Sarandon, Martin O'Malley Speak at Maryland Marriage Equality Fundraiser in NYC: VIDEO

Waters

Last night Marylanders for Marriage Equality held a star-studded fundraiser in Manhattan.

SarandonThe Baltimore Sun was on hand:

Thursday's soiree in Manhattan raised money only for the Maryland campaign — one of string of fundraisers being held beyond the state's borders. Gov. Martin O'Malley, who attended as a guest with his wife, Katie, helped to organize earlier events in Connecticut, San Francisco and New Hampshire.

"It has become a lot easier for people to come out," observed Sarandon, who said she feels families of gay children have been incredibly effective in changing minds in recent years. "Everyone knows someone who is gay," she said.

Other guests included Barbara Bush, daughter of former President George W. Bush; actor Ed Norton, a Maryland native; Baltimore filmmaker John Waters; and hip-hop producer Russell Simmons.

Derek McCoy, the executive director of the Maryland Marriage Alliance, took aim at the glitter associated with Thursday's event in New York. "Those folks are trying to celebritize this issue," McCoy said.

Watch John Waters, Susan Sarandon, and Governor Martin O'Malley speak,
AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Great, but they could at least have held it in Maryland.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 14, 2012 1:20:17 PM

2. Probably because nobody wants to BE in Maryland, everybody's trying to get the hell out. Have you even BEEN to Baltimore ?

What a crap hole.

Posted by: Seriously, WTF | Sep 14, 2012 2:39:35 PM

3. i emerged from the land of Marys in the late 1980s and fancy myself and ex washingtonian...

but yes Maryland is a failed southern state and its excesses or lack thereof are pretty much captured by John Water - god bless him.

Catholic state - but usually blue -- please do what you can to ensure marriage gets passed here -- and I will chloroform some unwitting D-list star into marrying me before I die...

Posted by: David B. | Sep 14, 2012 2:54:25 PM

4. I could listen to John Waters forever.

Posted by: MaryM | Sep 14, 2012 4:12:52 PM

5. I don't like John Waters, but Martin O'Malley and Andrew Cuomo look like good possibilities in 2016. I really like Hillary but I think in 2016 she will be to old to take on the job of president.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 15, 2012 4:37:39 AM

6. I don't like John Waters, but Martin O'Malley and Andrew Cuomo look like good possibilities in 2016. I really like Hillary but I think in 2016 she will be to old to take on the job of president.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 15, 2012 4:37:45 AM

7. John Waters doesn't actually have an anus. Twice a year he visits Donald Trump in his Trump "Tower" whereThe Donald tickles Waters with the spout of a Big Yellow Teapot until John spews crap across the sumptuously appointed apartment.

Posted by: Bob | Sep 16, 2012 4:08:41 PM

8. Great work Use this page to your ally told you. I am constantly followed to get more in rank concerning this topic. thanks

Posted by: alaskan malamute ireland | Jan 19, 2013 3:42:20 AM