Minnesota Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe Comes Out Swinging in Defense of Brendon Ayanbadejo and Gay Rights

Minnesota Viking punter Chris Kluwe, like Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo, is an advocate for LGBT rights and marriage equality. He has recorded three radio ads for Minnesotans for Equality, the group fighting a November ballot that would constitutionally define marriage as opposite sex only.

KluweListen to one of Kluwe's radio ads here.

Now, Kluwe, in the form of an extremely colorful letter, is coming out against Maryland lawmaker Emmett C. Burns, who this week urged Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti to silence Ayanbadejo from speaking his mind on gay rights.

Here's the closing part of Kluwe's letter, published in full on Deadspin.

I can assure you that gay people getting married will have zero effect on your life. They won't come into your house and steal your children. They won't magically turn you into a lustful cockmonster. They won't even overthrow the government in an orgy of hedonistic debauchery because all of a sudden they have the same legal rights as the other 90 percent of our population—rights like Social Security benefits, child care tax credits, Family and Medical Leave to take care of loved ones, and COBRA healthcare for spouses and children. You know what having these rights will make gays? Full-fledged American citizens just like everyone else, with the freedom to pursue happiness and all that entails. Do the civil-rights struggles of the past 200 years mean absolutely nothing to you?

In closing, I would like to say that I hope this letter, in some small way, causes you to reflect upon the magnitude of the colossal foot in mouth clusterf*ck you so brazenly unleashed on a man whose only crime was speaking out for something he believed in. Best of luck in the next election; I'm fairly certain you might need it.

Sincerely,
Chris Kluwe

P.S. I've also been vocal as hell about the issue of gay marriage so you can take your "I know of no other NFL player who has done what Mr. Ayanbadejo is doing" and shove it in your close-minded, totally lacking in empathy piehole and choke on it. A**hole.

Read Kluwe's full letter HERE. It follows a more tempered response from Ayanbadejo.

(h/t think progress)

Comments

1. Icebloo says

It’s great these straight allies are speaking out for us especially as they work in such a traditional homophobic industry.

I hope the two players mentioned here go from strength to strength. They sound like great men.

2. Icebloo says

3. AJ says

I totally want a t-shirt that says “Lustful Cockmonster” now. Line forms behind (wink-wink) me.

In all seriousness, tho, Mr. Kluwe is awesome. Proud to say he plays for our MN Vikings.

4. Caliban says

From the full letter:

“…not only are you clearly violating the First Amendment, you also come across as a narcissistic fromunda stain.”

I had to look up “fromunda.” It’s “the residue from unclean male genitals, as in ‘the gross stuff from unda your balls.'” LOL!

Thanks, Chris Kluwe! Not only did I love your blistering and hilarious letter to Emmett Burns, I learned a new word today!

5. James in Hollywood says

Phenomenal letter…we need more of these muscular, take-no-prisoners responses to the anti-gay crap that’s flung our way. Thank you, Chris Kluwe, for your beautiful ferocity.

6. DanSwon says

I’m completely in love with him. mart, well-educated, effing GORGEOUS, and stands up for what’s right even though he has no personal stake in it. That’s a real man. Just wish he was a ‘lustful c**kmonster’ :p

7. Oz in OK says

I laughed so hard reading this letter… and I was also thinking ‘This is awesome – thank you so much.’ And yeah, Chris sent it directly to Burns’ e-mail address. Pure. Awesome.

8. DAN says

GOOD FOR HIM!! I hope the Vikings organization stands behind him and does not succumb to the inevitable pressure from con-servatives that will probably now call for HIS firing. Because we all know they are probably starting a boycott or some other nonsense even as we speak. Let the Vikings know that he should be applauded for this before the cons start in!

9. Jay says

Oh crap!!!

As a 6’3″ linebacker sized fag, I have none-the-less successfully refrained from watching any type of sports for the past close to 50 years. Now, thanks to this dude, I have to at least follow the Vikings!

Well played, Chris Kluwe, well played!

10. says

Wow.
    “Thou speak’st aright, I am that very wanderer of the night.”

Friend, you have integrity,courage and a character which shines !
    I’m just totally bowled over by a man who is just so fearless and stands on his opinions.
    in the words of Martin Luther; “On this I stand, I can do no other.”
    Thank you Chris.

11. says

I just can’t tell you all how much this means to me. I am so deeply proud of the work we have done and these amazing results that come to light each and every day now. For 1000’s of years we have been treated so poorly, beaten, killed, jailed, tortured and it’s our generation that changed it. It an honor to part of this all.

12. antb says

best laugh i’ve had in a long time, kudos to Chris & Brendon both. i still don’t like american football but i’m starting to love (at least some) am. football players.

13. Mundus says

What a decent, blunt, confident and sassy straight-ally; we need more like him, and may I second the many posters who have noted that ‘cockmonster’ is such a wonderful term…

What a genuinely wonderful man and incredible role-model.

14. Mary says

No, really , Chris…..tell us how you feel!

Finally, a straight guy who is so outraged over anti-gay bigotry that he makes Little Kiwi look tame! Now the only question is: does he have a URL?

15. Thomas says

Oh my God…that was amazing. I don’t know if he is single, but whoever snags him up is one lucky girl.

I want a “lustful cockmonster” t-shirt with his number on the back.

16. jason says

Why do gay guys have to keep classifying men such as Chris Kluwe as straight allies? They are allies. Their sexuality is not important. It’s also presumptuous of you to call people straight.

You are a very presumptuous community that thrives on division – ie on dividing men into straight and gay.

17. John says

I went to the Vikings Official Web page and donated to the Children’s Fund in “Chris Kluwe” name. I think that will do more to thank him than anything else. He deserves it.

18. DAN says

@JASON: why do you have to be such a nitpicking fussbudget? He’s straight. He’s an ally. It’s not “division”. It’s fact.

So, have you convinced Playboy to devote some ink to bi-sexual males yet (oops, don’t want to label!)?

19. says

Men’s polo shirts rise with a duo of divers fits so you module necessity to suppose almost that as recovered. The age of them are the classic fit which is unremarkably pretty relinquish. It gives a major unconcerned countenance but isn’t ever usurp for dressy occasions. A plain fit gift be tighter and it testament care solon formal. It is real central when you are selecting a men’s Ed Hardy Womens Shirts that you anticipate about these things so that you can get the reactionary one for your needs. It is also why most men instrument score individual of them in their covert.

20. jason says

Dan,

Stop being a presumptuous fussbird. You have no knowledge of Kluwe’s sexuality and nor should you presume to know.

Nothing irks me more than a presumptuous gay guy – usually queenie – who uses words like straight and gay to divide men. Face it – you’re all united by what’s between your legs. Don’t deny it.

21. Blake says

Jason

I know you are probably just a GOProud troll trying to be divisive, but…

It is more likely that the average straight person will take note of a fellow straight person standing up for equality than if a gay person was to do it.

If Mr Kluwe was gay, that would be the bigger story by far, but as far as we know, he is just a straight guy doing what is right.

22. DAN says

@JASON: he is straight. Married with two kids. Get over it. Nobody is dividing anyone here except you. You are the one labelling people here with “queenie” and yesterday’s lovely “retard” comment. Quit accusing people of the very things YOU do.

23. jason says

I frankly have no idea of the sexual attractions that go coursing through Kluwe’s mind. And neither do you. Stop pretending you know everything.

A lot of you gay guys are presumptuous and divisive. You act like this because it serves your egos. You have the biggest egos ever. Ego, ego, ego. You divide men like a baker divides dough.

24. wtf says

Oh Jason. trolltrolltroll. that’s all you do. talk about ego. You’re constantly all about “look at me! look how amazing I am with my insight!” whatever dude. The premise of your argument is LAME. Yes, we assume that Kluwe is straight because he PRESENTS as straight: married to a woman, fathered children, and apparently, hasn’t any issue with men who are gay. Studies show that men who DO have issues with homosexuality usually have some bisexual or homosexual tendencies themselves. And while YOU may just want everyone to go around lacking any kind of orientation, and – god forbid – not in the least way challenge ANY sort of gender roles (‘queenie’, much?) you are in fact just a typical hateful queen yourself, one who hates on gay men and thinks that being effeminate in any way demeans men. You’re pathetic if you actually think that everyone needs to “serve their ego” by recognizing someone’s orientation. If you want to pass for straight, that’s YOUR deal. Don’t put your sh*t on everyone else.

25. andrew says

Jason is the Little Kiwi of the right wing: Ranting, mean spirited,and intollerent of dissent. In his favor, I don’t recall him playing the testicles card.

26. jason says

I’ve never played the testicles card and nor have I played the vagina card. I’m simply me. Me, me, me. I have a decent education and I’m erudite, or so I’ve been told.

I enjoy pointing out hypocrisy and fraud from both the left and right. Nobody escapes my wrath.

I will call people out who deserve to be called out. Of particular concern to me is this constant division of men according to their sexuality. Both the left and right do it. For Pete’s sake, have mercy on male sexuality.

At the end of the day, remember this: we’re all men. Yep, men.

27. DAN says

YOU are the one making presumptions! THE GUY IS NOT GAY! How many times do you have to be told? He is straight, married, has kids and happens to be an advocate for equality. You keep trying to make his sexuality questionable. Why is that? Does it make you feel like a big man? You’re the one that acts like you know everything. You know nothing.

28. Derek Pearce says

“Nobody escapes my wrath.”- Jason

And that folks is Jason’s whole reason for coming here, just to push buttons like an evil Disney Queen and not to have an intelligent debate.

29. Jono says

Kluwe’s letter is my favorite response thus far by someone supporting equal rights. Perhaps because I’m a sports fiend. Perhaps because he is a UCLA Bruin. Perhaps because he plays in the most watched American sports league. Just simply amazing. I look forward to shaking his hand one day.

@jason – have you gone outside today? There’s a whole nice world to enjoy. Perhaps you should evaluate what is important in living a quality life. Because right now, your priorities are out of whack.

30. Homer says

Happy to know that professional sports can also produce such articulate allies who can twit with such sobriety as “It’s an equality issue. I see the big picture.” as well as with snark cf. “lusty cockmonster” sentence. Personally with such vivid wordsmithing, Chris Kluwe may have a future in creative writing.